Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duck pecking eggs

Posted by julia67 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 9:25

We have 2 egg laying pekin ducks and for a few times there have been beak shaped cracks in the eggs. They tend to lay both eggs in the same nest. Has anyone had this problem?? Our 2 indian runner ducklings born naturally on the lake are nearly the same size as the parents, sex as yet unknown. We gave 3 pekin eggs to our french neighbour to put under her broody chicken. After around 28 days she decided to candle one and as she held it up to the light it exploded - gaseous goo all over her so she had a shower and a change of clothes and repeated the process again with the second egg and guess what??? Yes the second egg was bad too!!! The 3rd egg she left under the hen and 2 days later produced a healthy bouncing duckling who thinks its a chicken!! Its a laugh a minute here in the Dordogne France and I just thought you folks in the U S would like to share the experiences, and what with bees swarming on chimney pots and kittens found under hedges I could write a book, if I had the time that is!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duck pecking eggs

Oh I had an entire nest of nasty eggs.I started candling the duck eggs and realized most were bad. So I had a bowl of water and set some in and they blew up in the water.THANK GOD because my kitchen would never have been th e same!.
I threw some in the garbage and started to here them blow.sounded like guns! And the smell. sulpfer???
NO--- 100 times worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I could not get the smell out of my nose for along time and felt terrible for the trash men.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here