Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chicken lice....again...

Posted by beeliz 2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 9:48

This is the second outbreak this summer of lice on my hens. I treated them with dri-kill dust powder and repeated it two weeks later. Seemed fine for a few weeks. Now I found more on them,not in their coop only on them.Is this going to be a normal procedure every 6 weeks to dust them? Is this because they free range and have contact with other wild birds like sparrows ect? does anyone else have a repeated lice problem...and would it keep lice off them if I kept them from free ranging and only confined them to a run??thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chicken lice....again...

You are most likely better off with them free ranging. Confinement will make a lice breeding ground. I would dust more often for an extended period to break up the lice breeding cycle.
If all else fails, try a drop of pour on cattle wormer on their backs. They'll get a few months of protection.There will be residue in the eggs and meat, but it isn't harmful to vertabrates so as long as you don't sell them or the eggs you're fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here