Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do my ducks need a girlfriend

Posted by mimi1221 7b AR (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 10:29

Hi all, I have these two male ducks about 6months old. They are friendly with me and the family but, they free range with my chickens and have been getting agressive with my girls. It seems to me they are looking for someone to mate with I could be wrong but, I was wondering if they would leave them alone if I got them some girls? Let me know what you think. I would love some advice. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do my ducks need a girlfriend

I would definitely suggest getting a couple or more females. I had 2 boys for about 1 year,then they tore eachothers heads off(not literally)...but I would suggest 3 or 4 females to make it easier on the girls. Ducks can become deadly to chickens when this sort of "mating" happens..just my thought

o

Did you get some females? Did it help you? Do you think if I get one for each that will be enough? I am trying not to overextend my self with all my animals lol. Thanks

o

it would only really benefit if you were to have more females than males..because the males are hard on the females. I personally like to keep one male and one female. But if you can,,get 3 girls and you'll be fine.
I lost my ducks to a fox last fall sadly,but this summer I rescued a male and female together..one was killed by a raccoon so now I'm on the hunt for another duck. I'm not sure yet which one I have because it's only about 12 weeks old. But a female either way would work.
when I did have a bunch of ducks last year I had 1 male and 4 females and it was perfect! good luck,,

o

You will need a lot of girls. No fewer than three females per drake, and some would argue twice that many. Otherwise, it gets ugly....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here