Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken not eating, sits with mouth open (help please!)

Posted by ChenoaCalifornia 91103 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 11:03

I have a four year old chicken who hasn't laid an egg since October. She's really healthy, has beautiful feathers, her comb and wattles are red and full and her eyes are clear. However, I notice that she keeps her mouth open and is resting a lot more. She doesn't appear to have any problem breathing, she doesn't look in pain....

Today she doesn't want to leave the hen house and is just sitting on her roost.

I had this happen to one of my chickens before and they died soon after. I was told by several sources that this is a sign of a tumor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken not eating, sits with mouth open (help please!)

I'm sure you probally already know this but my girls seem to "pant" when hot and thirsty.
House her seperately and give her some sugar in her water for a quick boost. Just for 1/2 a day or she'll get the runs. Give her some kitchen scraps to see if she has really warded off food.
Tumors? Unless you get an MRI who knows!

o

overheating, they pant . gapeworm they gape. have you wormed them at all?

o

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 21:09

I was thinking she was hot, too. The first time my girls did it I was positive they had Gapeworm. I was thrilled to think they were just "sweating", as there's very few things that cure Gapeworm. I think a four year old chicken is past her real egg laying time. She's just takin' it easy.
Let us know how it turns out.
Carla

o

At four years she is just beginning to get past her prime as far as egg laying, so she may indeed be simply coming to the natural end of her egg laying period. Also it has been very hot and humid here (I'm near Los Angeles).

What breed is she? If she is a heavy breed, they don't fare so well in the heat. Try bringing her inside for a bit and keeping her cool and hydrated and see if the panting stops. Another possibility is that she is egg bound--if this is the case you have to move fast or she could die. Click on my 'My Page' link for more chicken info, including how to recognize and help an egg bound hen and how to recognize and treat for gapeworms and other parasites, and helping chickens beat the heat. There is also info there on how to handfeed her to assist her through an illness if needed.

Any other info you could give us on her would help...good luck! :)

Velvet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here