Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alfalfa on small plot (or other grain suggestion)

Posted by bethardern z5OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 11:32

I would greatly appreciate any advice given! I have a sunny section towards the back of my property about 30 x 60. I just read Eliot Colemans suggestion about growing Alfalfa for the compost pile. The first part of my question is this: I would like to improve the soil with a crop that would provide some food for my chickens and straw for my garden paths/coops/compost pile. What crop would you recommend? Is this enough space to provide decent yeild? Lastly, how would I go about harvesting this size plot? I'm assuming the grains are the tops and the stems would require a second cutting and drying for straw. Please advise. I was hoping to plant a fall crop sometime in Aug.

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post.

Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alfalfa on small plot (or other grain suggestion)

We grow proso millet for our chickens. They love it. Cut it, let it dry and store it in feed sacks. Or you can just let them into the patch. The stuff is easy to grow. Tom

o
RE: Alfalfa on small plot (or other grain suggestion)

We grow alfalfa in a small plot and cut it with either gas-powered hedge trimmers (me) or old-fashioned hedge clippers (my wife). Both work fine. We usually dry it under cover and feed it to our goats as a treat. We get 2 or 3 cuttings a year even up here in our short growing season. It has frozen out during the winter before, but we now have a very hardy strain of perennial alfalfa that has survived 3 winters of temps nearing -50 F.

Grain is just too much work for us on a small acreage. I have Siberian Pea trees growing that provide some high-protein feed supplement, but not enough to feed all year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here