Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duckpal

Keeping a single pet rooster

duckpal
16 years ago

I have a small flock of Silver Gray Dorkings who I am re-homing soon. However, I am very attached to the rooster and would like to keep him as a pet. Is it possible to have a single rooster or would he be unhappy and lonely?

Comments (13)

• siamshirl
    16 years ago

ive had a rooster pet before as long as u spend alot of time with him he should be ok

• sullicorbitt
    16 years ago

Are you going to keep him as a house chicken? if that's your plan I'd say fine. If you are going to keep him in a coop all alone I would say no unless you have other livestock he can be with.

-Sheila

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

As Sheila said...if he's outdoors, he'll get lonely. Chickens are flock animals and NEED others around, in the absence of other chickens YOU will become his flock. :)

Velvet ~:>

• duckpal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. If I kept just one hen for him would he pester her too much? Another alternative would be to put him with or near my Indian Runners.

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

That's something you'd have to just try. I think one roo with a hen or two would do just fine. When I started out I had a little banty roo with my three SLW girls. He was so darned little, we thought he'd be mostly for comedy relief, but he did everything he was supposed to do just fine. :) We had no trouble with the girls being overly used at all, either. Due to two unexpected deaths, after a bit we were down to 1 roo and 1 hen, but still never had a problem.

Velvet ~:>

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I had a rooster one time that didn't want to be with the hens. He wanted to hang out with me all the time. It was pretty funny. He was a wonderful pet and I really liked him.

• duckpal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds like my rooster. He seems far more interested in what the humans and dogs are doing.

• starrstarcat_aol_com
    12 years ago

my rooster is a single one he thinks im his hen in the day time if im in the house he stays at my bedroom window

• littledog
    12 years ago

One hen and a rooster will be just fine. He shouldn't bother her too much, simply because there is no competition from other males, and he won't be distracted by having other hens to tread.

• vegangirl
    12 years ago

We had a pet rooster for several years. He followed me everywhere I went on the farm and seemed happy. When I was inside, he hung around our Golden Retriever, much to her chagrin. Sometimes he would be sitting in her house and she would by lying in front of it with this "oh brother!" look on her face. He loved to follow us as we divided daylilies. He was right there, ready to grab up any grubs we dug up. We had two hens at different times and he did pester them a lot. I was surprised at how intelligent he actually was. I didn't allow him on the front porch because he made such a mess. Sometimes he would slowly come up the steps; I would stick my head out the door and say "Fred!" He would grumble and go back down the steps. He knew exactly what I meant!

• lil_sis_069_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i have one rooster and one hen. i think its so funny that only the rooster wants attention and only from me. usually they r the aggressive out of the two lol. at a family get together my niece said she was gonna roast the rooster over the fire and it started hissing at her it was the most funniest thing i have ever seen. to this day he dislikes her haha

• HU-156626461
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Im actually having issues with one of my roosters too. I rescued him with a deformed leg along with another rooster and two hens. They all grew up together apparently. Recently, all of the birds have started bullying him including the hens to the point I have had to intervene. I separated them and gave him his own space and coop with plenty of food and water. He's separated by a chainlink fence and keeps flying over to the rest of the flock but gets attacked everytime tonthe point I have had to dress his wounds, but he continues to try and get back to the flock even though they attack him. I'm not sure what to do.