Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooster age

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 12:24

How old does a rooster need to be to fertilize eggs. My only rooster is 4 mos old, no claws or long tail feathers yet, but he does seem to be mating with the hens. I've had the group for about two weeks now. Will the eggs I'm collecting today be fertiziled?

One hen may be broodie and I'd love her to hatch her own chicks, is possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooster age

Look for a "blood spot" when you crack the eggs.

o

Oh yes! I forgot about that! Haven't seen one yet.

Well, I'm sure we'll get there. Don't have a broody hen now anyway...

o

Hey runningtrails,

an egg can be fertilized and still not show a blood spot. look for the blastoderm (the white spot) on the yolk. if it is not a perfect circle it probably isn't fertile. if it looks like a bullseye (its perfectly round with another round dot inside of it), it is fertile.

also, how many hens do you have? if he's got a lot of girls to fertilize, even if he is old enough, he probably won't get to all of them! :)

hope this helped!

o

Blood spots in eggs have nothing to do with fertility, it is simply a bit of blood that got trapped in the egg during the development cycle. You need to look for the germinal disc and determine it's state: a blastoderm (fertile) or blastodisc (infertile). More info on fresh egg breakout with great pics here:

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b1166-w.html

I'd gather & crack 3-4 fresh eggs and look for the germinal disc--at 4 months he may be a bit young, but it could happen. :) When eggs have been brooded for about a week and a half, THEN you can candle them to look for a dark mass that indicates that a chick is forming.

Velvet ~:>

o

I have twelve hens and the one, 4 mo old, rooster. I'll look for that spot. I'm hoping our chickens will raise their own chicks.

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here