Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herringboned28

Will a hen hatch guinea eggs??

HerringboneD28
16 years ago

I'm gonna put 6 guinea eggs under my broody hen and then add about 3 or 4 chicken eggs in about 7 days. Has anyone been successful at this or offer any suggestions about mixing the egg types like this? Do you think she would mother them like her own when/IF they hatch?

Comments (15)

• cheribelle
    16 years ago

Yes, she will, but guinea babies cannot take any wet grass, so make sure they are cooped.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I had a chicken hatch duck eggs once .with success.I had to provide water for ducklings later.

• marquisella
    16 years ago

Put your chicken eggs under her after 3 days, not 7.
    When I hatch chicks & guineas together, the guineas only take another 3 days or so.

If you wait 7 days, the hen probably will leave the nest with the guineas before the chick eggs hatch.

M

• HerringboneD28
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gee....are you sure? I was told 28 days for guineas and my chicks typically take 20 days. The lady who gave me the guinea eggs uses an incubator. Would that cause her's to hatch later? I'd like them to pretty much hatch about the same time of course and will do whatever is best.

• HerringboneD28
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK......I put 4 chicken eggs under her yesterday evening. Sometime between August 12th (21 days for chicken eggs) and the 15th (28 days for the guinea eggs) we will hopefully have some kind of chicks out in the broody coop!

• organic_farmer_bob
    16 years ago

HAHAHA I thought the posts title was "Will a hen hatch guinea pigs"...I would have actually know that answer!!!

• HerringboneD28
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well........it didn't work out too well. All 4 chicken eggs hatched out @ days 19 to 20 (a Fri & Sat.) I had to take them to a brooder box because the momma got off the eggs to take care of them. She wasn't off more than a couple hours and it was 104 degrees at the time.

One guinea hatched out on day 28 but it was dead by the time I got home from work. It was 105 degrees and I wasn't there to show it where to get water.

On day 32 I chunked the other 5 guinea eggs into the pond and put the 4 chicks back in with broody hen. She pecked at them terribly and eventually abandoned them, so now she's back in the coop with all the others and I'm taking care of the chicks in a separate area.

• Siamese
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear it didn't work out so well :(

My neighbor uses chicken hens to hatch out guinea keets all the time. I guess the trick is to use a good sitter & just one type of egg. (guinea OR chicken)

altho sometimes it does work out with both... my hen hatched out a few chicken eggs, then exactly 1 week later she hatched out guinea keets. But I was afraid she'd leave the nest that whole week-she was off of it quite a bit. but it was so hot that week, it worked out ok. (they were in a chicken tractor so she couldn't free-range the chicks)

• HerringboneD28
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the problem was with the guinea eggs more than anything else. The gal I got them from said her hatch rate in an incubator wasn't too good with others from the same date.

I still don't know how to keep a broody hen on her eggs after some of them hatch though. Mine seem to want to get off all the time.

• kathleenhanes_ymail_com
    12 years ago

Of coarse they will try but i have never had any luck because of the span of time between...If you do have luck make sure there in a dry coop because if they get wet its fatal...Good Luck this summer all you poultry lovers & yes im one of them...

• kathleenhanes_ymail_com
    12 years ago

Of coarse they will try but i have never had any luck because of the span of time between...If you do have luck make sure there in a dry coop because if they get wet its fatal...Good Luck this summer all you poultry lovers & yes im one of them...

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

She will,I found 2 duck eggs once all other 13 were crushed.I slid them under a hen that was broody.She hatched them took care of them.Itwas funny shed go for a walk the 2 ducks stopped to swim in creek ,I put a tub of water in the run for the ducks to swim,the chicks would go in to rest for the nite ,the two ducklings were outside swimming.she didnt know what was going on,then they got to adult size,flew away.Next spring I looked down the one duck came back to visit went down went in chicken house and stayed a little then left.It was cute.

• Rabiu Sham-an
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

put the guinea fowl eggs first and on the 7th day you add the chicken eggs but make sure they aren't old(nt more than 6 days old) eggs.

• HU-153792028
    2 years ago

Hello Rabiu! I did the same,I bought 6 eggs from a neighbor who has guinea fowl and add 4 chicken eggs after 7 days. They are now have 15 days. And ofcource chicken mama can take care all the chicks after hatched

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH