Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickenmama1

Duck people HELP! Mr.Flippers is 'sneezing'. :(

chickenmama1
18 years ago

I need to move FAST with this, but don't know enough about ducks health issues.

Can someone tell me how I should treat him? This 'sneezing' has happened before, but only occasionally. This morning he sneezed 5 times in about 45 minutes. Other than that he's seems fine. He was moved from his garage pen into his yard pen along with Mr. Flappers two days ago. The outside pen is moveable and is wooden on three sides and the top. The front is heavy rectangular shaped wire. It only has a 1/2 wood floor with a sleeping box in the back. He's all feathered out and is trying to fly. They have night time heat, but I wonder if they need to be warmer...? I cover the entire pen at night so no cool breezes can come in. In this desert the temps right now are from a daytime high of about 100-a nighttime low of about 65. I can see them all the time from any of my east facing windows. I keep a close eye on them all the time and spend about 3 hours a day outside with them. I change their water bowls 3 times a day and use bleach on them (the water bowls) once a day with super, super rinsing afterward. I'm feeding them poultry pellets now. I feed the chickens the same thing. Part of me would die if he died and I'd done nothing to help him.

I'd be so grateful for any help.

That is no longer my email addy. Guess I better change that asap.

Comments (10)

• velvet_sparrow
    18 years ago

It could be just plain old dust getting into his nasal passages...does he have any other symptoms? Any discharge from his nostrils (nare) or eyes? Is he listless, sitting fluffed up? Is he eating, drinking and perky and otherwise carrying on normally? Are his poops normal?

I'm not a duck expert but your housing and feeding routine sound fine. There are over the counter bird antibiotics such as Ornacyn that you can get in any pet store, but I have no idea if they are safe for ducks, you need to find out if they are first. You might try calling a vet for more info there. You can also search the Internet for 'duck respiratory problems'.

Good luck!

Velvet

• chickenmama1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Velvet. He has none of the symptoms you've listed. Except, now that you mention it his poops seemed "watery" to me this a.m. He's just a happy, perky, optimistic baby and he's thrilled now that he's found his wings!

I will check the Internet and see what I can find. I know about the OTC antibiotics for chickens and cage birds. I'll check that out too. I really had forgotten about them since I haven't had to use them for so long.

He does have a wading pool that has water deep enough to clean his entire head. He goes tearing around in that thing like some kind of nut case. I have to laugh every time I see it.

I'll go spend my second duck hour with them and see how things look and go from there. I'll also check back here for any additional info off and on through the day,

Thanks so much for your reply. :)

• chickenmama1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do I ever feel silly. Mr. Flappers is fine. You must have been right, Velvet. After his morning crazy time in the pool there's been no more 'sneezing' at all. He and Mr. Flappers have had 3 pool adventures total today and I am soaked from the last one. Guess I'll go take a shower and give myself a talking to about hysteria! This one thing I have learned today: I will ALWAYS keep a loaded emergency kit on hand. Just in case it's the real thing. :)
    I watch these two ducks in that shallow water and I just can't seem to figure out how they can flatten themselves enough to get almost covered by the water. I know it's a duck thing. It's fascinating.
    Thanks for your help. :)

• velvet_sparrow
    18 years ago

Yay, a happy ending! :)

Still, keep an eye on him, just the same...!

• sumac
    18 years ago

We had a crazy duck once that just loved her little wadding pool. One time as I was watching her enjoy-and I do mean ENJOY her first bath after a long cold winter, she was so excited and bathing so enthusiasticly, she must have thought for a moment that she was out on the pond and went to dive.....but ended up doing a summersault instead! I laughed for days thinking about her antics. She had such personality. Enjoy your ducks. They are great fun. PS Duck poops are normally runny or watery and often very smelly. And they love to poop in their water. Ducks are very messy.

• chickenmama1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sumac You are so right. They do love to poop in the water. And they are messy, but them so am I, just not in that particular way! :) Flippers has summersaulted too. It's so funny.

• motherduck
    18 years ago

If the duck is fully feathered then you don't need to provide any additional heat (except in winter for very cold areas). 65 degrees F. is not cold for a duck. A one month old duck can easily handle 65 degrees. You don't need to protect it from drafts anymore either. I'd be more concerned about the heat since waterfowl do better in cool weather. Make sure they have access to shade and never leave them without water. A friend of mine recently lost her goose on a hot day because he tipped over his water pail.

Your duck is likely healthy since its so active and well cared for. You probably don't need to disinfect their water containers that often unless there are signs of disease in their environment--ducks are quite hardy compared to chickens. One thing to watch out for is mold though--don't let them have moldy food or straw. Also keep in mind that many antibiotics that are safe for chickens are not safe for waterfowl so you would need to do some research. I've occassionally used grapefruit seed extract (GSE)without any problems. Its always better to start a treatment earlier in an illness rather than later.

• kirklanb
    18 years ago

Glad to hear Mr. Flippers is OK. It could be the extreme temp change between afternoon and nighttime (+ or - 35 degrees. I know when I walk out of a cold airconditioned building into the hot outdoors, I sneeze even though out there the temp change is a slower transition. I also agree that it could be a dust thing as well. Sounds like he washed whatever it was out.
    Belinda

• chickenmama1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr. Flippers is doing just great. I only have 2 ducks. Mr. Flippers, the mallard and Mr. Flappers, the Blue Swedish. Mr. Flappers is mostly still downy even though he is much larger. He's still a baby and needs the warmth. Mr. Flippers moves away from the light which is far enough away that it won't make him too warm. The desert day and night temps can swing wildly from very hot to uncomfortably cold at night. I wear my wooly socks all summer--at night. So. So far so good. :) Thanks for the great advice.

• jasond
    14 years ago

Hi i was reading the above and just wanted to ask, I recently bought two duckings, after taking them home one of them started to sneeze alot, sometimes having small sneezing fits, the symptoms are, sneezing, a runny nose, it seems alittle weaker then the other duck, where as the other will get up and run, this one; although it can run normaly chooses to sit and push with its feet, I'm really worried about it, I just wanted to ask if this a common thing in ducks and will it get over it, if not what should I do? Is there an over the counter medication I can buy possibly? I've rung a few vets, but my money is limited and thats the first thing they seem to ask.... so much for animal care...

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus