Return to the Farm Life Forum

o
Ivomec dosage for dogs... yet again

Posted by erinluchsinger z4 - Upstate NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 13:51

Okay, so I didn't write all the info down, and now I can't find the thread that I orignally posted with this question.
What is the dosage of Injectable Ivomec to treat heartworms in dogs? Lucy (not a collie) is 40 lb. and I'd like to treat her this way rather than keep buying Heartgard at the extremely inflated price.
Thanks!
Erin
PS... what foods are best to hide it in? I've heard it doesn't taste very good and has a strong smell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivomec dosage for dogs... yet again

dosage is: Ivomec 1% solution - 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. of dog weight

FWIW, I'm using generic 1% ivermectin from Jeffers, 50 ml for $24.95 (item # LE-F6) and a 3ml syringe to draw out correct dose.

Guess my doggers are not too picky :) I empty the loaded syringe over 1-2 oz baked chicken and they gobble it down.

Here is a link that might be useful: using 1% Ivomec as canine heartworm preventative

o

Thanks! I had found a website that explained how much to use. I think I paid $30 for 50 ml of Ivomec. My mother picked it up for me at Tractor Supply for my llama, and I figured that since I have it, I might as well start using it for Lucy.
I already doped her up. I injected it into a hot dog. She gobbled it down, but I could tell it had a bad after taste!

o

Okay, I'm new to chickens but THIS is something I know! :~) Dilute Ivomec (you want the 1% injectable Ivomec for cattle) one part Ivomec to 9 parts propylene glycol....then give the dog 1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs. of dog of this solution (a 40 lb. dog gets 4/10 of a cc.) I think propylene glycol is what the ivermectin is diluted with to begin with, so you can mix up a bottle of this and just keep it handy (doesn't have to be freshly mixed each time.) This is just about the same dosage the dog would be getting in Heartgard, except that it is more accurately calibrated to the dog's weight (cause it's dosed for every 10 lbs, instead of the Heartgard 51-100 lbs. where everybody gets the same dose.) You should measure dose with a 1cc syringe, also called a tuberculin syringe, because this is measured in tenths so is much easier to measure accurately than in a larger syringe.

If memory serves me correctly, collies are one of the breeds sometimes more susceptible to ivermectin, so keep that in mind. However, if you have been using Heartgard regularly, then as I said this dosage of ivermectin would be about the same or maybe even less thsn they've been getting in Heartgard tablet, depending on how much your dog weighs. Some people give a much stronger dose two or three times a year, of 1/10 of a cc. of the Ivomec per 10 lbs. of a dog (not diluted first with the propylene glycol) because this strength also kills whipworms and hookworms. But if there is ANY question about ivermectin sensitivity, keep in mind that this higher concentration is about 10 times the dose of Heargard!

I just squirt it over the food in the bowl, or in the corner of their mouth....either it's not that bitter (propylene glycol is sweetish tasting, I think) or my dogs will eat anything. Come to think of it, it's probably that they'll eat anything, but in any case they don't seem to notice it in their food. :~)

Debra

o
RE: Ivomec dosage for dogs... DUH

Oh, DUH!!! I just realized you said Lucy is NOT a collie. Oh, well, between us we've made everybody with collies aware of this issue, LOL.

Debra

o

Just a reminder that collies aren't the only breed with the possiblity of problems with ivermectin. The genetic mutation has appeared in several of the herding breeds and some sight hounds--including greyhounds. If you really want to be sure it's safe to use ivermetin for your dog, there is now a dna test available.

o

I have said this before, but you people really worry me. There are numerous cases of drug resistant infection in farm livestock, and more importantly people. The medical and veterinary fraternity around the world routinely blames farmers (I mean people who earn their living from animals) for using drugs either carelessly (other than the recommended dose BY THE MANUFACTURER) or in a way that is not approved by the relevant controlling authority. The truth is that pet owners are trying to save a small amount of money and so do things that a full time agriculturalist would be prosecuted for - and rightly so.

I know some of you have another generation in the making, so for their sake, rather than your present bank balance, do not use any medication in any way that is not totally in accord with the relevant legislation where you live. If the manufacturer cannot give you advice on the correct dosage (ie if it is not included in the literature) then do not use it. I know some of you will not like what I say, but please, please, think of the next generation of people first, second, third, etc etc and not the cost of keeping your pet. Old McDonald.

o

Old McDonald,

Your cautions and concerns are very valid, especially about the overuse and misuse of antibiotics. But just so you won't worry quite so much about this particular medication, the dosages I posted for using Ivomec on dogs were calibrated and given to me by a veterinarian who also happens to be a multiple dog owner and breeder. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in the brand name heartworm medication Heartgard, and the diluted dose I posted works out to be the same dose as Heartgard, or as I said actually even closer to dosing according to weight.

Sometimes drugs aren't labeled for particular uses because it's more profit for the manufacturer to sell the same drug in a different formulation or package in a different market...the trick is to be careful to educate yourself, check with your vet, and to be very careful about calculating and calibrating dosages (when it's the same medication and you know how to use it.) Not fussing at you, just reassuring you that this particular wormer and the diluted dosage I referred to are used by several vets I know. I also do think this situation is a little different from the indiscriminate or careless wholesale use of antibiotics....plus I don't know of any relevant legislation or controlling authorities who have a say in how we worm our dogs or our personal chickens.

Debra

o

It must take a Tee-tiny seringe to get 1/10 of a cc! Such a small dose seems it would be really easy to mess up.

o

my vet told me once that the restrictions mentioned means if you lose a animal that the drug is not labeled for, the drug company bears NO responsibility.

o

Lesli, the 1 cc insulin or tuberculin syringe really isn't that tiny, it's just a smaller diameter than those bigger 3 cc ones; and then each 1/10 of a cc is about 1/4 inch so it's much easier to pull an accurate dose.

o

well I was thinking that because it is a tiny dose it is super powerful stuff to kill parasites, and even a tiny amount over suggested dosing could do harm. I just would rather used the Revolution on the neck of the animal and have it take care of fleas, ticks, mites, all sorts of worms including heart worms. at one time, it comes out cheaper that way than doing all these things separate.

o

just wondering--when using some wormers for heartworms, if the dog has never been tested FOR heartworms, and has them, a regular dosage could kill too many heartworms at one time, and clog the chambers of the heart. i hope the dogs you're using it for has already been on a preventaive, or has been tested and treated first by a vet--just as a precaution, i'd hate to see anyone kill their dog by going just on what they read in the forum.

o

She has been tested, and has been on preventative her entire life (or at least as long as I've had her... she was 3 when I got her). So, there is no risk of her being infested already.
I have 3 cc syringes that I got at TS that are quite small.
She's alive and kicking and showing no signs of problems.
Thanks for everyone's concern, though!
Erin

o

ceresone wrote:

"when using some wormers for heartworms, if the dog has never been tested FOR heartworms, and has them, a regular dosage could kill too many heartworms at one time, and clog the chambers of the heart."

This was a problem with diethylcarbamizine (sp? the active ingredient in Filaribits, the old once a day heartworm preventative). It is not a
problem with ivermectin because the ivermectin only kills the microfilaria during a specific stage of their development (between 48 hours and 40 days).

In fact, one recommended course of treatment for dogs with an existing load of heartworms who aren't good candidates for the treatment that kills the heartworms is to give them a regular dose of ivermectin so that the dog doesn't get further infested. Eventually the existing heartworms will die of old age or the dog will become healthy enough to go through the heartworm treatment.

I did a lot of rescue and got this information from my vet. Many of those rescues were in bad shape and not healthy enough to go through the heartworm elimination treatment. Ivermectin kept them from picking up any more heartworm while I worked on getting the dog in good enough health to go through the full treatment.

Old Mcdonald, I'm not sure why but so far there are no reports of medication resistant heartworms. Not even to diethylcarbamazine which has been in use for 40 years.

Lesli8, ivermectin is actually one of the safest drugs used for most dogs. The exception is that about 75% of all Collies and a handful of other breeds have a genetic defect that allows the medication to crass the blood/brain barrier.

Revolution is convenient but there are too many reports of dogs getting serious skin lesions from it for me to risk it.

o

Dogs, cattle, llamas, goats......what other animals does this work for. Will it keep off the fleas and ticks for cats as it does for dogs?

o

Poultry, we lose 1 out of 100 from its use.

o

Eithne -

Exactly right. Great post. I have been giving our dogs ivermectin for years with no problems, at the 1/10th cc per 10 lbs dosage. We also have an older dog that came to us HW positive, who we (with the vet) decided not to treat for HW, that gets the same dose. It is now three years post starting ivermectin, and he is doing very well. This is not a course that I would *recommend* to anyone, but it is a possibility in certain cases, in concurrence with a vet.

kyri osity -

I have never seen that ivermectin keeps fleas and ticks off dogs or cats. I wish it did! I think one of the marketed heartworm meds does, but it includes another active ingredient.

o

Okay...so if I use ivomec 1/0th cc per 10lb for my dog (yorkie) to prevent heartworms/ear mites - do I do this daily, weekly or monthly?

o

Monthly. Just be careful not to give too much. My dog (American Fox Hound) gets hers mixed in an AM or PM feed, and eats it well, but that's all she's ever had - I just continued it when I got her, although I switched from squirting it down her throat to mixing it in her feed, since she was very shy and wary, and I didn't want to upset her. You can stretch the dosage to every 5-6 weeks, based on heartworms' life-cycle. Just keep track of the calendar.

To answer the cat question, ivomec is used, but may not be approved for cats - topically for ear mites and sub-cutaneously for other parasite. You will have to gooogle for the proportions, I don't remember.

I have noticed that my dog would have many fewer ticks, and they would be less active for about 3 days after dosing, but she still had them. Fleas, I never noticed a difference.

o

I have 3 black & tan coon hounds, 1 - 9 yrs., 90 lbs. 1 - 3 yrs. 75 lbs & 1 - 90 1 1/2 yrs 90 lbs. Does anyone know what the dose of ivermectin paste 1.87% is? The package says 91mcg per lb., but what is that in cc??? Is that too strong for them? I need a conversion to cc!!

o

Coonhound, the Ivomec usually used is the cattle injectable liquid. I don't know how to figure using the paste, not do I know if the other ingredients are safe for dogs. I am sure dogs have eaten spit-out paste before and lived to tell the tale, but I don't know. If your math skills are better than mine, you can do the sums and figure out what would be equal to a tenth of a cc of the 1% injectable per each 10 pounds body weight, compared to this, that is the equivalent amount to give a one percent dosage. Someone else may also be able to or have previously done the sums. You could ask as a separate post, as well.

o

Actually, the recommendation to give 0.1cc per 10 pounds of dog, that has been recommended is still way overdosing.

In fact, the correct dosage for heartworm prevention is much, much less than 0.1cc (1/10cc) per 10 pounds of dog. A 25-pound dog only needs 0.068cc (which is 68 hundredths of a cc, or 68/100cc) of Ivermectin, according to the amount of the drug in Heartgard, and a 50-pound dog needs just 0.1cc - NOT 0.5cc, which is what you would give if you were dosing 1/10cc per 10 pounds of dog!

This means that the correct dosage for heartworm prevention in dogs is actually closer to 0.02cc (2 hundredths of a cc, or 2/100cc) per 10 pounds. That's a huge difference!

o

Klcabe: Where did you get that figure from? I just talked to a vet and they said 1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs...and every other breeder I have talked to has said that and that is what I have been giving all of my dogs.FYI one of my labs just tested positive a couple of days ago..I have had her for 3 months and the breeder doesn't understand how it could have happened b/c she has been giving her heartworm (ivermectin) every month...I told her WELL she tested positive twice..so that is a $400 treatment and she will not reimburse me...sooooo either she hasn't been giving her her heartworm, not enough or not the correct dosage..whatever it is...I am quite upset!!!!!!!!! B/c she sold me a dog that now has/had heartworms when I purchased her.

o

I know you can use Ivomec to cure mange on dogs. The dose is .1 cc per 10 pounds, also. You are suppose to do it every week, but I do not know how many weeks you are suppose to keep giving the Ivomec.

o

I have a 4yr.old flat coated retreiver and 3yr.old boxer. Both have just come back pos. for heartworms. Checked the vet and looking at $1,000. for both dogs. This is not possible. I am looking at starting them on ivermectin. Any advice on dosage. Thanks

o

From several different vets, the dosage I have been told is one-tenth of a cc of 1% ivermectin per ten pounds of dog, once a month, without further dilution of the ivermectin. A 100-lb dog would get one cc. A 40-lb dog would get four-tenths of a cc. Etc.

I have read in other places regarding diluting the concentration down with glycol. I stand by what my vets have told me. I have used this dosage for 20+ years with absolutely no problems (I do not own herding breeds). Ivermectin has a reasonable margin of safety, and the dose at which adverse/toxic reactions are commonly seen is considerably higher than the dose I have stated above.

Irishlord: Check with other vets in the area regarding treating for heartworm. Some may have lower prices. If you absolutely cannot afford to have them treated for the active infestation, starting them on ivermectin at the 1/10th cc per 10 lbs dosage once a month is better than doing nothing, as they will not continue to get more and more infested - as noted by the other poster. Please check with your vet first regarding this. I am not a vet. It has happened that dogs with a large load of heartworm can have problems, although it is said to be not common.

The one-tenth cc per 10 lbs dosage will usually prevent sarcoptic mange in dogs. Ivermectin can be used to treat sarcoptic mange; iirc, the normal heartworm dose is given twice at two-week intervels. Again, I am not a vet. It will not prevent demodectic mange, but dem. mange can be treated with ivermectin given orally.

The Merck veterinary manual online can be a good source of information, but you need to know the chemical (generic) names of drugs and be very, very careful with your math.

I have read of ivermectin being used orally for human scabies and head lice, but don't try this at home, folks ;-).

Even in collies, in a study there were no signs of toxicity at 100 micrograms per kilogram, which is nearly 16 times higher than the manufacturers' recommended dose of 6 micrograms/kg. Reference - http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/collies.html#smp

I've got 6 dogs, one 165 lbs, one 90 lbs, two 50 lbs, two 60 lbs. The injectable ivermectin given orally costs about $45 per year for the whole bunch of 'em (I purchase a new vial yearly, empty or not). I dunno what my vet charges for Heartgard, but at KV Supply I'd spend about $340 yearly. We're poor; no contest. I go with the ivermectin.

o

I don't remember where I got this information but I found it useful. I also read you can substitute Vegetable Oil for propylene glycol.

"The oral administration of a monthly dose of liquid Ivermectin diluted in propylene glycol is dependable and safe. Simply add 0.3 mls of 1% Ivermectin injectable to one ounce of propylene glycol, making a 100 microgram/ml solution. Dose this at 0.1 ml per pound of body weight (10 micrograms per pound) once monthly."

o

About the dosage concerns -- Why is it then that my vet told me when my dog accidentally swallowed 2 Heartgard pills at once that he wouldn't get sick even if he'd eaten the whole box? Also, they do have those 6 month dosing shots at the vet's office now, too.

o

I was told to buy the .27% ivomec for my dogs. I have Scotties weighing 21 to 24lbs. and a Lab mix at 55lbs. The instruction was to give .1 cc for the Scotties and .2 for the Lab. Is this correct? Since it is already weaker than the 1% ivomec, do I still need to dilute it? Thanks.

o

We have a Min-Pin named Odie - Complete with the Garfield comic strip dog's ears and jumpin ability. When our beloved fellow was a pup he contracted Demodectic Mange. My vet informed me that years ago this was a death sentence for the little guys. However, Odie was treated with ivermectin 1% injectable solution purchased from the local feed store for $37.50 for a 100 ml bottle. We had to give him doses of it daily. I can't recall the exact dosage our vet prescribed but it it was it was at least 1/2 a ML and since we gave it to him Daily it amounted to quite a bit of the stuff. it took a couple of months but his Demodectic mange went away and today he is a healthy and Happy member of our family. We are now giving ivermectin to our dogs rahter than purchasing Heartgard at the ungodly prices with the full blessing of our vet who cares more about animals than the bottom line.

o
RE: Ivomec dosage for dogs...Based on Heartgard dose...'nuff said

Hopefully this can settle the debate.
I wanted to figure out exactly how much has my dog been getting by taking Heartgard because I have a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd and was a little concerned about harming them.
Here is the breakdown.
Heartgard has 272 mcg or Ivermectin for the 50-100 dog dose
157 mcg for the 25-50lb dose and 68 mcg for the up top 25 lb dose.
I figured this out myself and then verified it with another persons formula for which the web site is.

http://www.convertit.com/board/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=749&forumID=1&catID=9

Here is the Formula- they base it on 2.73 which means that the Heartgard 51-100 lb dose is based on the 100 lb dog.

THE FORMULA
Ivomec Ivermectin has 10 mg or 10000 ug per cc. 6 ug per kg is 2.73 ug per pound. So multiply the dog's weight in pounds by 2.73 to get the micrograms needed, and divide that by 10000 for the number of cc's to give the dog.

So for a 100 lb dog.
100 x 2.73 = 273
273 divided by 10000 =.0273 ml or cc

thus your Hundred lb dog needs just about 1 quarter of a cc of ivermectin 1% solution per month.

I made a table to make it easy or you can just use the formula. I rounded the numbers.
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml (call it .003)
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .19 or call it .2
80 lbs = .22 cc or ml
90 lbs = .25 cc or ml
100 lbs = .27 cc or ml

Thus the 10th (.1) of a cc or ml per 10 pounds is too much
and the 100 of a cc per 10 is (.01) is not enough.
I am sure that you can round these number up slightly without it being a problem unless you have a collie or herding dog. Which is why I wanted to have it be exact.

This is the amount equal to what your dog has safely taken when prescribed heartgard. (This took two hours and I am sure that my OCD is acting up) but hopefully this settles the debate once and for all.

Just to throw a wrench in it. My earlier posting speaks of how we had to give large doses daily to my min-pin for Demodectic mange. So after saying all of this, if you do not have a Collie or sensitive dog, the larger does with most likely not hurt them.

Good luck! Happy Dosing.

o

my 10 mo old lab started treatment yesterday by a vet for demodectic mites at one (1.0) cc per DAY for 50 days minimum. He weighs 72 lbs. that's a lot of ivomec, so apparently the worries about overdosing aren't THAT critical...

o

Cou;dn't undestand why the 2.73 dosing didn't calculate right with the 25-50lb at 157 mcg Heartgard.
Its because the 25-50lb Heartgard is actually 136 mcg not 157.
Then it all works out. 136/50 =2.72

o

mraftice ocd aside could you help with this..I am quite math challenged and need your figures converted to something I can dose..

First
Is the table you made for straight Ivermectin? No dilution of the 1% cattle ivermectin involved at all?
I do not have a syringe tiny enough to measure this correctly so I would have to defer to one of the diluted mixes posted earlier.. I have read all types of dilutions on the internet and frankly I am quite concerned.
Here are some of the mixes and doses for each I have read:
Dilute 1 cc of 1% cattle Ivomec with 19 cc's of propylene glycol. When using this dilution the information says to give 1 cc per 40 lbs of dog orally once per month. So a 20lb dog would get 1/2 a cc, an 80 lb dog would get 2 full cc's.....This first dilution would be the easiest for me to use as I have larger dogs.. Can you do the math on this mix and see if this close to your figures.. I can't..please

2nd mix says to dilute 7 cc's of 1% cattle Ivomec with 43 cc's of propylene glycol. Using this dilution the information says to give 1cc per each 10lb of dog orally per month.. This mix in my opinion is out, what I mean is it takes to much of the diluted mix to dose each dog. I have 50lb - 80 lb dogs and it would take 5 cc's - 8 cc's of this dilution respectively..that is a lot of solution to get down them reliably. Thanks for any help on this.

o

I did od my shepard mix... i went thru this same thing last year... I took the vets advice as above. 1/10 cc per 10lb of dog. waaaay too much for the shep. the other two were fine. What i have learned is that ivomec/ivermectin et al. is an extremely safe wormer in terms of OD'ing.. 5 times in fact. before you start to see problems.

With that said. don't do anything with the ivomec till you can figure out and understand the math yourself. Reread the posts above. and if you want to check out my blog about it you can too...

my shep the one i od'd was fine when i gave heartguard... i almost killed him when i gave the ivomec. i gave him .7 ccs and it really should have been .272 max as that is the amount in the heartguard...

it's not necessary to mix with PG as its already mixed in there, but if you do it will screw up the math formula's unless it specifically states to add it.

Here is a link that might be useful: ivermectin info

o

Could someone pleassssssssse help me? I need the dosage (ml per pound) and duration (how many days to treat) for treating my dogs with Ivermectin for mange.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank u kindly.

o
RE: Ivomec dosage for dogs...treatment for heartworm post.

Hello i have a large dog tested postive for heart worm
how do i treat him? Monthy?
Does it kill adult worms or just microfilaria?
please help i just dont want to kill all the adult and have them go into his lungs.
Could he be heart worm free after a yr?

o

Nancee: If you are going to buy the Ivomec for the heartworm prevention, then you might as well use it for getting rid of mange mites as well as ear mites. I administer a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection at the back of the neck, consisting of 1/10 cc (of Ivomec for cattle) per 10 lbs of doggie body weight. I give one shot every seven days for 3 consecutive doses.
Explained differently, that is one shot, wait 7 days, give a second shot, wait 7 more days, and then give a third shot. This is a very effective treatment for both mange mites and ear mites. If you are already buying the large bottles of Ivomec for cattle to use as a heartworm prevention, then you might as well also use
it for this purpose when needed. This is a very clean treatment method. If you have the red mites, sarcoptic, then dose your dog with Advantage flea preparation. It kills the sarcoptic mites and you don't have to fool with all the expensive and stinky dips and all that. Works great. FYI, been a dog breeder for 15 years so have some experience here.

o

Just talked to a well creditable vet in the area and for mange, I repeat, not for HW prevetative, but already ongoing mange case...
The formula is as follows:
0.1cc x 3 for 10kg or 22LBs dog = 0.3cc
My puppy is about 35-36 LBs = 16 kg
0.3cc x 16 = 0.48cc (as he recommended to start with 0.1, increasing by 0.05 until we get to 0.45/daily for 60 days, increasing according to weight chart below.)
Here is the chart using above calculation. We just round it to the lower 5 or 0 (so, if it calls for 0.54, we will give him 0.50) AND REMEMEBER THAT anything above 0.7 is leathal to dogs.
kg lb cc
10kg / 22lb = 0.30cc
11kg / 24lb = 0.33cc
12kg / 26lb = 0.36cc
13kg / 29lb = 0.39cc
14kg / 31lb = 0.42cc
15kg / 33lb = 0.45cc
16kg / 35lb = 0.48cc
17kg / 37lb = 0.51cc
18kg / 40lb = 0.54cc
19kg / 42lb = 0.57cc
20kg / 44lb = 0.60cc
21kg / 46lb = 0.63cc
22kg / 49lb = 0.66cc
23kg / 51lb = 0.69cc

DO NOT go over 0.70 even if your dog is over 60 or more LBs! We are using liquid formula (not sure of the percentage), but sounds like similar to one described in this thread.
In any case, I recomment seeing local vet to test what kind of mange it is, because medication type, size and timing could vary.

o

There are so many conflicting doses. My female dog has the red mange. I want to treat her effectively. Which formula is the right one. She doesn't have any open sores. Just losing hair in spots. I thought I had it cured but I guess not. I've tried everything. Now I'm going this route. Any advise would be helpful. I guess the pregnancy didn't help her. She had these as a pup but they went away I thought after many mitaban treatments. I guess I didn't get the little buggers all. I feel this is a safe treatment after much research but the dosage is what really concerns me. thanks for any help

o

mystie1959 -

Carefully read pepelepew's post on how to use ivomec for red mange (demodectic mange). I have used this also for diagnosed demodectic mange, with our vet's guidance. The ivomec is given orally, not injected. We were instructed to give it until the dog's entire coat grew back and looked good. Took several months.

IIRC, the signs of ivermectin overdose include trembling and excess salivation. You might want to look that up, as signs to be aware of when dosing a dog with such a high daily dose.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to consult a vet before beginning treatment. Every vet that I have ever taken my dogs to was willing to tell me exactly how much ivermectin to use, and what percentage solution, to prevent heartworm or treat diagnosed red mange. The dose is *much* higher for mange than for HW prevention.

If I may, I'd also encourage you not to continue to breed a dog that gets demodectic mange after puppyhood. According to our vet, the tendency may be inherited.

o

Wow some great info but wanted to let you all know that we have been passing this recipe down for a few generations. 1cc to 10cc of water. Then 1 cc of the mixture per 10 lbs and we have always used it for the removal of ticks and flea as well. Used in on cats and we found it to be tricky with Chihuahuas. My uncles used it, my parents used it and now I am using it. For just over 20 years so just a little tidbit of background. Works great for just about every parasite out there. Thanks.

o

Can you please tell me if this should be given orally or can it be injected. Thank you

o

Has anyone used Ivomec Plus with their dogs?

o

Hi! We run into this argument all of the time in the equine world. We use the injectible Ivermec orally on our horses even though the label says only cattle, sheep, and swine. We dose at 1cc per 110 lbs and I get a 500ml bottle for a little over $100.00 and do all of the stock with it. We have 40 head of horses, 15 cows, 12 goats, 1 pig, and various chickens, ducks, dogs and cats! An average large animal dose of 10cc per 1100lbs is a little over $2.00 a dose. The average paste horse wormer (1.87% Ivermec) can be $7 to $15 per 1200lb dose! You do the math (sorry old mac donald!) Anyway, I never dose the dogs because the label says not to and it can be fatal. Everyone I know says they give it to their dogs too, so I was going to start the farm dogs on it because we always have it on hand. I was going to dose at .1cc per 11 pounds, but I thought that I would go to the internet and see what I could find on the subject. Then I found your thread!! I was glad that I did because nobody ever told me about the collie warning!! Both of the dogs at the farm are Border Collie crosses. One is 4 yrs old and is a Border/Heeler cross, and the other one is a Border/Aussie cross. Does anyone know if crosses are just as sensitive as full bloods? Could they be given smaller doses to see if they will tolerate it? Does anyone have any advice on this matter and maybe a schedule for me, neither of the dogs have had any heartworm program, just puppy shots, rabies and Frontline Plus. I also have a city dog (3yr old toy spitz) that I was going to treat. I figured I'd give him .1cc once a month for heartworm protection because he probably weighs 12-15lbs. Then I read this thread and I found out about mange. I have never seen it, even the poor mistreated farm dogs have never had mange! Anyway, a couple of months ago, my Spitz started scratching his hocks like crazy. I thought it was time for another dose of Frontline Plus so I bathed and brushed him and put on the frontline but I never found one flea or tick. I thought maybe he was allegeric to something in the backyard because he was being put outside alot so my grandson couldn't terrorize him. He was 100% house dog not yard dog so we kept him in more, bought special shampoo, and a simple skin cream. He has tons of hair but I found a bare spot about the size of a half dollar right in front of his tail. The skin is overly pink but no sores are visible. He has small abrasions on his hocks from scratching but they're not horrible. Anyway, the Benedryl and shampoo and creams have not shown any improvement. I mean the skin looks good, just overly pink now but their is no new hair growth and he stills scratches. We have had this dog for two years and he has never had a problem until now. He is also not on a heartworm program although he was for a year, two years ago. I would like advice on this also, like can I treat him as if it were mange for a length if time? I can't afford to take him to the vet right now. Thanks to all.

o

Holy cow. i've been using Ivomec ever since it came out. First of all, on my livestock, (horses, cows, pigs, goats etc) and then on my dogs. I am a show kennel of Borzoi, and I also used it on my whippets, and along the way of a 40 yr hobby of showing dogs, a few French Bulldogs, brussels, and Eng toys. For a long time, I used the common formula of one part Ivomec to 7 parts water, and then dose at 1cc per ten pounds. Since then, I have discussed it with many show breeder friends who even use a stronger 1 to five ratio. i am now using that ratio. One breeder friend who is a vet, tells me Ivomec can be used on everything, including people. Infact, it is used commonly in Africa to treat river blindness. There are TONS of sites about Ivomec/Ivomectin on line. It is very easy to educate yourself on this matter. The "collie thing" is particularly the merle gene. No merle colored animal in ANY breed should be ivomec-ed.
It is true that many perfectly good wormers/pharmacuticals are labeled for only one animal for many reasons. And some things that are exactly the same are even priced differently for different species... Such as the exact same 250mg pills of tetracycline are priced in desending amount from human to cat, dog, horse, sheep and goat, pig etc on down to the cheapest, fish, price. And its all the same pill. Yep! It's true! Often things labeled for cats cost more than for dogs, because the pundits on Wallstreet have figured out that cat people are willing to spend more $$$ than dog people, although that gap has pretty much closed now, I think... Its all about marketing.

o
RE: Ivomec dosage -overdose!

Hi, I have a small horse farm, and I believe my rat terrrier pup has ingested some ivomec for horses (paste) There was a small amount left on tube, she became suddenly, blind! We took her to the vet who comfirmed this, do you know if its permanent? I have searched the web on this cant find any advice if it is permanent or not. Its too late for trying to purge, it was yesterday. She can see a bit, eyes are dialated. All other vitals are fine. The vets suggested an opthamologist, but from what I am reading, they cant DO anything but test...$$$$

o

I must admit I am a little freaked out by this dosage issue. Our vet recommended 1.3 ml for a 67 lb. lab who we think has mites/mange. She has had it (probably) over a year now, but thought it might be allergies, etc...Anyhow I was told to get the ivermectin 1% cattle/swine formulation and give 1.3 ml orally for 30 days. Would this dosage be considerably higher than the 1 ml per 10 lbs. that everyone keeps referring to, because that dosage is for a heartworm preventative and not a mite issue? I do trust the vet, but I don't want to overdose. I will call the vet to make sure I heard her correctly before I give it to the dog, but any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks

o
correction

OOPS, Sorry, I said the dosage was 1 ml per 10 lbs, but actually meants .1 ml Sorry

o

Hi all, I was just looking over the dosing posts and came across the one below. I believe the numbers for 70 and above pounds are off by a decimal point. Does this seem right? Please excuse me if this was pointed out before.
T

I made a table to make it easy or you can just use the formula. I rounded the numbers.
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
80 lbs = .22 cc or ml
90 lbs = .25 cc or ml
100 lbs = .27 cc or ml

o

What dosage ivomec should I buy for my dog.I know there are different strenghts.My older dog had manage when she was a puppy and I can't remember what strenght I got.Now my son's dog looks like she has it.She has the same symptoms.When I got it for my other dog I did not dilute it.Please help
Thanks
Monika

o

OK, I have read most of thse treads but, need kinda a direct answer so I know I'm on the right track. My son and I both have Boston Terriers under 1 year old with demodectic mange the vet gave his Ivomec.Where can I find (purchase) Ivomec, will it be ready to administer or will I need to do anything to it before using, and what is the proper dosage and is it given daily. I know it is safe when given properly so I just want to be sure I have the correct Information.

o

I have a 7 year old healthy weimaraner. He has been off of any type of heart worm medicine for over a year. I want to start him on Ivermectin. Should I start him on small dosages and increase it each month until I get to the recommed dosage of .1cc per 10lbs. or should I go ahead and start him on the full dosage?

o

I had a response to this thread, but by the time gardenweb logged me in and all, it made it it's own thread. So if you've been watching this one, you might want to go look at the new thread, "Ivermectin for doggies".

Sorry about that - meant to add it to this thread.

Sojourner

o

I rescued a few lab puppies and have decided to keep one. One of the people that adopted one of the pups from me called me today to tell me that the pups have sacoptic mange. My dad says that I can use Ivomec to treat vthis but isn't sure of the dose. He has a hunting camp and uses Ivomec all the time. I would like to treat him with Ivomec because it is so close to Christmas that I can't afford an expensive visit to the vet. He weighs 25 lbs and is 14 weeks old. Could anyone give me the correct dose to give him and how often or offer another inexpensive way to rid him of this because the poor baby is ITCHY and miserable? Thank you.

o

WHAT IS THE PROPER DOSAGE FOR IVOMEC TREATING EAR MITES? IS IT USED TOPICAL OR ORALLY? IS IT MIXED WITH OTHER PRODUCTS? THANHS FOR ANY HELP.

o

Our 75lb bullmastiff pup is on ivermectin (Ivomec 1%) 1cc per day for the last 30 days for demodectic mange. It's working but the vet wants him on for another 60 days. This time he sold us a 100ml bottle of Promectin E. The bottle says for horses only and fatalities in dogs have been reported. I'm guessing that since it's 1% ivermectin as well, it is broadly referencing the fact that some dogs are intolerant to high dose ivermectin such as collies, and that since they're marketing for horses that they just generally don't recommend it for dogs. However, Ivomec is routinely given, and my question is, has anyone used Promectin E, is there any rhyme or reason why one 1% ivermectin wouldn't be the same as another, and more generally, should I trust my vet's experience over a label?
Thanks

o

I really appriciate this thread. I have a Maltese and a Newfoundland, and I also care for a welsh corgy and two cocker spaniels from time to time. I also have two cats. When my newfie was diagnosed with mange, my vet prescribed Ivermectin and recommended it for all animals as earmite and worm prevention. Being ridiculously busy, I am shameful to report that I have lapsed on this responsibility and now have found worms in two of the dogs stool, and around the tail fur of my Maltese. I suspect it could be more than one type of worm. After my research I am believing it is tapeworm and roundworm. I gave her a dose of the Ivermectin last night. My questions are: Is ivermectin a cure as well as a preventative? IF so, how much and how often? Will giving her a dose of OTC de wormer after the Ivermectin be harmful? And finally, does anyone have any recommendations for a good OTC De wormer? I have contacted my vet and am waiting on a return call but I am frantic to get this handled A.S.A.P because I have a child. Many thanks to everybody who has any suggestions.

o

Toni, to the best of my knowledge, while Ivomec is good (so far) for all the other worms, it is TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE against tapeworms. You will have to get another wormer from your vet to get the tapes.

Don't worry overmuch about your child picking up worms. While the worms won't do any good if neglected (which you aren't going to do!), you can easily get a dose from your doctor to kill any possible worms they might have - you might want to get the child tested first, depending on age. I wouldn't necessarily panic over it - I know many people, including me, who have had to "be wormed", because they/I picked them up somehow, either from gardening, from poorly washed produce grown in freshly manured soil, or from pets. In fact, a friend who grew up in Central America said her parents "wormed" her and her siblings on a regular basis, twice a year, just on general principal.

Regarding worming after the initial dose of Ivomec, I think I would wait a week or two - depending on the dog's reaction to the Ivomec, and on the worm burden they had been carrying, it's usually wise to allow for some recovery time. If it looks like the dog is really reactive to the worming, I would wait longer - just try to supervise your child's interactions with the dog(s), wash hands frequently, and maybe wait to worm the child until the second dose to the dog. While tapeworms are among the MAJOR BLECH factor things out there, unless the total worm load is VERY heavy, they really aren't a major threat to health - just to ones sensibilities! I have heard (may be an urban legend) that some of the cheap diet pills are simply a capsule with a tapeworm segment in it - effective if very unscrupulous!

o

What is the correct ml/cc dosage of Ivermectin for preventive treatment of heartworms in dogs?

I have read of people dosing at all sorts of differant levels of Ivermectic to prevent heartworms. The question is why, when the FDA has approved date on the subject. According to the FDA, the "recommended minimum dose level [is] 6.0 mcg ivermectin per kilogram (2.72 mcg/lb) of body weight" for treatment of heartworms in dogs. This is the dosage in the FDA approved Heartgard. For example, for a 40 lb dog, I calculate that as: 2.72 x 40 = 108 mcg or .108 mg. See: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/730.htm The report further reveals that "None of the collies given ivermectin at 50 mcg/kg showed signs of toxicity."

Another website indicates: "Ivermectin 1% is equal to Ivermectin 10 mg/ml" (10 mg = 10,000 mcg) See: http://www.internetvets.com/Articles/ivermectin_dosing.htm

Consider the following: mix one cc of injectable 1% cattle Ivomec with 19 cc of propylene glycol (regularly done by people). This diluted mix then provides (if I am doing my calculations correctly) 500 mcg/ml of ivermectin. Therefore, would the correct dosage of this diluted mix be approximately .2 cc (.2 ml) (2/10th ml) to get the desired 108 mcg for a 40 lb dog?

o

To: backhertz (My Page) on Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 15:36

I believe the numbers for 70 and above pounds are off by a decimal point. Does this seem right? Please excuse me if this was pointed out before.
T

Yep, you are right and I caught it too. If a correction was made I missed it also, but if not maybe this will help someone.

20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
ERROR OCCURED HERE...SHOULD SAY .02 NOT .2
80 lbs = .22 cc or ml SHOULD BE .022
90 lbs = .25 cc or ml SHOULD BE .025
100 lbs = .27 cc or ml SHOULD BE .027

o
ivermec & collie breeds

If you have a collie breed and want to confirm Ivermectin is safe for your dog, there is now a test that can be done from the convenience of your home. At the link below you can request a free test kit, swab the little brushes they send you inside dogs mouth and return for testing. The charge to run the genetic test is $60.00.

See http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Washington genetic test service

o

MEASURING DOSAGE. You can buy 1/2 cc syringes with needle at most any drug store, without prescription, for about 29 cents. This makes it easy to properly extract from the Ivomec bottle the correct Heartgard dosage of 1% Ivermectin as calculated by Pepelepew above.

o
MEASURING Ivomec dosage for dogs... yet again

MEASURING DOSAGE. You can buy 1/2 cc syringes with needle at most any drug store, without prescription, for about 29 cents. This makes it easy to properly extract from the Ivomec bottle the correct Heartgard dosage of 1% Ivermectin as calculated by Mraftice above. (Previous message referenced "Pepelepew," that was a typo)

o

mraftice is correct on the heartgard dosing, though I don't understand how "100 of a cc per 10 is (.01) is not enough" when .01 is still greater than the .0027 that the heartgard fomula gives per 10 lbs. Anyway, that is only the heartgard dose, and not necessarily the only safe dose out there. I'll start by saying what my research has turned up as safe doses, then, if your one of those people that want to know where I got the #'s, I'll sum up the studies and give you links to them. Oh, and the doses in () are the doses for ivermec 1% injectable.
Min. 100% effective dose all breeds: 6mcg/kg (.0027ml/10Lb)
COLLIES
Absolute max safe dose: 90mcg/kg (.04ml/10Lbs)
Max dose tested by heartgard: 60mcg/kg (.027ml/10Lbs)
NON-SENSITIVE BREEDS
Max safe dose: 2000mg/kg (.91ml/10Lbs)
Minor symptoms seen: 2500mcg/kg (1.14ml/10Lbs)
Lowest fatel dose: 40,000mcg/kg (18.18ml/10Lbs)

As far as treating other parasites, you need at least 200mcg/kg (.09ml/10Lbs) to kill hookworms and roundworms. And if ivermectin is given to pregnant females at days 0, 30, 60, and 10 days after whelping at a dose of 300mcg/kg (.13ml/10Lbs) it can produce a litter with NO hookworms.

So there are the minimums and maximums as per current resources available. Find somewhere in the middle you are comfortable with. You can easily get a 1 ml syringe for the small doses, and if that's still too big, 100u insulin syringes go all the way down to .3ml (1u on a 100u syringe = .01ml). If you do want to dilute it, be careful, you don't want to dilute with something that will not mix well, and wind up with all the ivermec on the top and give your poor pooch a few cc's of cooking oil. Also, water makes ivermectin unstable, so it is not recommended to dilute with water.
If you still do not feel comfortable with the dosing, try something like tri heart plus. It's anywhere between $1.84-$4.04/month/dog, depending on size.

Personally, I give my dogs about (.05ml/10Lbs) and up it to (.1ml/10Lbs) once a year. I do also use either panecure or pyrantel on the halfway point between big ivermec doses, but I have had a real tough time with hookworms here. Anyway, the only dog I did not treat was my 1st chihuahua, and he was diagnosed with HW, as was nearly every other dog in my neighborhood that was checked. None of my treated dogs have HW. That reminds me, it is safe to give ivermec to HW positive dogs.

100mcg/kg dose for collies info found @: (http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=314687)

90mcg/kg dose for collies info found @:(http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.2000.61.482?journalCode=ajvr)

Heartgard info found @:(http://heartgard.us.merial.com/downloads/HG-Product_Information.pdf)
Info on hookworm treatments during pregnancy found @:
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TD7-3X4W5VT-P&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2ecacb20f886d8647a453cdc802cb5f4)

Hookworm treatment found @
(http://books.google.com/books?id=CIm6d6HpUakC&pg=PA245&lpg=PA245&dq=ivermectin+hookworm+200mcg+dogs&source=web&ots=0t7h6Kp8Bg&sig=iHwQK6--2MpKmnvKCMopnJONSi8&hl=en)

All other Ivermectin study info can be found @
(http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/730.htm)

o

My dogs are a 3 yr old cocker spaniel about 25 lbs and a 6 month old 1/2 husky 1/2 malamute about 35 lbs.

Here is what I have:
ivomec plus injection for cattle
1% w/v ivermectin and
10% w/v clorsulon in a sterile solution

I've read that you shouldn't use ivomec plus for swine on dogs, only ivomec for cattle. So my question is: What about ivomec plus for cattle?

I love my dogs and don't want to hurt them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

o

Hi - I'm new to GW. I was advised by a friend to use pour-on Ivomec for demodectic mange. She's used it regularly on her three dogs for some time and has gotten good results. I believe she uses it for heartworm as well. I got a bottle of 5mg/ml for cows. The directions say to dispense at 2ml per 22 lbs. Is this sufficient topically to eradicate the demodex? Thanks!

o

The Ivomec Plus is to kill lung worms or liver worms in cattle. I cant remember which. Ive been told not to use the PLUS for dogs. I have been told the regular 1% Ivomec. I think its the brown bottle.

o

So am I right in saying that for heartworms prevention you only need 0.0027ml/10lbs but if you also want to get hookworms and roundworms you can up the does to 0.09ml/10lbs... Never go over 0.9ml/10lbs.

For my 102lbs adolescent Great Dane I should give between 1.0ml and 0.3ml... Never go over 9.0ml.

thanks

o
Can someone please check my math here?

Mix one ml or one cc (they are equilivent) of injectable 1% cattle Ivomec with (72.5 cc) of propylene glycol.

This diluted mix then provides 136.05 mcg/ml of ivermectin.
Dose would be 1 ml or 1 cc each month, over food.

If heartguard is dosing at *136 mcg per month for a 25- to 50-pound dog.

Thanks!

o

Robbyt asked about treating ear mites. Use 135 MCG of pure Ivermectin per pound of pet weight. Mix in food. Give once every 3 days for 4 weeks - start off at a half dose and observe for ill effects (salivation, tremors, unsteady gait) and disconinue if observed. Adjust dose upward after 3 weeks if no improvement is seen.

For information in my pet care email, simply email me at drarthurwells@hotmail.com with a blank email. I will reply one time with my email handout, and no further unless you have more questions.

o

Ivermectin can easily be overdosed/ underdosed. I use a diabetic syringe which measures in units.

1 ml or 1 cc is equal to 100 diabetic units

I wont give you dosage for legal reasons though. Just do your math

always clean the injectable rubber bottle top with 91 percent alcohol and allow it to completely dry before injecting the rubber with a brand new steryl syringe.

never use a used syringe. Inspect your bottle for

expired expiration date

cloudy medication

particles in bottle

if any of the above conditions exist toss it out and buy another

o

I have read several posts on Ivomec for mange. I am planning to treat my dog this way but see conflicting dosing schedules. Some say dose daily for as much as 2 months some every two weeks. Does the size of dog matter on the duration? Mine is a smaller dog (about 14#). Also, pepelepew posted about a year ago with a great breakdown for dosing...if you are still a member and see this post - is your breakdown for the 1% Ivomec? Figuring it is, but want to make sure.
Thanks to anyone for any info on this!

o

Be careful with your dosing of dogs with Ivermectin. It's been associated with blindness. If you google this, you'll find studies on the subject.

o

Here's Merck's blurb on Ivomec for treating demodectic mange in dogs (both local and generalized)

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/72005.htm

I've been treating my puppy with the previously posted dosage which reflects the lower range of Merck's suggestion.

o

i gave my yokies the ivomec
i had one throw up about an hour later
i dont think its from the ivomec he hadnt been feeling good
has a cold.
should i regive it to him?
also i have a big yorkie 13lbs how much do i giver her?

o

I would NOT give my dogs the recommended dose on the Ivomec vial (.1cc/10 pounds) because that's for cattle. Dogs are not cattle. If you read Merial's information you will see that the dosage for swine is lower because swine are not cattle either. The concentration in Heartgard was designed for dogs, so I keep close to that dose, but am not overly concerned about precise accuracy because there is a lot of experience that shows mild overdoses are normally not harmful except for the breeds that have been mentioned. The precise dosage of Ivomec 1% for dogs is 0.0027 cc or ml per 10 pounds. This based on the concentration in Heartgard for dogs. I verified the concentration and dilution with a vet, a pharmacist and a chemist.

o

If I am treating mange with injectable, how often do I dose & for how long? every day? every week? for 3 wks? HELP!! very sick chi-wenie!

o

I'm new to this forum and have some questions. I have a welsh corgi and after reading about collies and other herding breeds I wonder if they fall into that catagory? Aso what if they ingest horse ivermectin paste (1.87%)? I caught my corgi licking the used tube but got it away from him fast, don't know how much he got from the tube but was fine. I can say I noticed dead worms in his feces about 2 weeks later but don't know if it was the ivermectin or just that he had some come out. Can anybody provide any answers or help? Thanks

o

I have used Ivomec for nearly 20 years for several breeds all using the 1/10 cc per 10 lbs ratio. Recently, a breeder told me Ivermectin was not for other worm treatments. What I need to know is how does Ivermectin work against other worms like hook, and round and others? Everything I read on the web says it treats parasites but nothing definitive on which ones. Can you guide me to a site that would advise on this.

thanks,

o

sorry to bring this up again but can i give Ivomec super orally for mange ??

o

I am confused as to weather you dilute "Ivomec 1% for cattle" with propylene
glycol or use it straight? It will be used on a dog with demodectic mange and
I will use the table of 1/10cc. per 10lbs. when I administer it.

o

If you compare labels on wormers you have your answer to which worms the Ivermec gets. We use strictly Ivermec & safeguard & fecals show no/minimal worms. Ivermec is used forheartworm prevention also as you probably know.

The Propylene glycol is added to make the Ivermec more palatable. It is not necessary. Dosage of 1cc per 100 lbs is correct using the 1%.
I havn't read the entire thread, and I'm sure others have mentioned it, but Ivermec should not be used on herding breeds such as collies because of documented serious reactions from the Ivermec associated with those breeds. As usual one should always check with their vet before administering meds.

o

Is it safe to give an english pointer that is pregnant ivermec? I give 1/2 cc injected and her weight is 50 lbs.Can this damage the puppies?

o

You should of course confer with your veterinarian prior to giving any medications to any animal, particularly if they are pregnant. Having said that, we give Ivermec(tin) orally to our pregnant goats with no ill effects.

o

I have 3 dogs. 1 dog is dot 3 positive for heartworms. I am going to start the treatment at the vets office in 2 weeks on him. The other 2 dogs have not been tested in 6 months for heartworms. I bought a bottle of Ivomec and was wondering if it would be ok to give it to my other 2 dogs not knowing if they are also positive for heartworms. I gave the 2 dogs a heartgard a couple of days ago. If I were to give them ivomec, should I wait since they had heartgard or start them on the ivomec next week? Thanks

o

I have a 10 month old 52 Lb. pup with demodectic mange, maybe about 5 small areas. I have been intructed by my vet to give her 1% Ivermectin injectable, orally, .72 in a 1Ml syringe, no dillution, daily. I will do this about 2 months and then try to obtain a clean sin scraping continuing this for a month after clean scrape. I have read now on this site so many variations of this product, any feed back on this dose I am giving her? One message reads that this dose I am giving her is an overdose!

o

If I have read you correctly you are giving .72 cc of 1% ivomec to a 52 lb dog, the dosage recommended in this thread would be .52 cc, however your vet went to a highly selective school and spent years studying and reading the literature and treating these sorts of ailments, so I say trust his judgment on the matter.

o

filterkaren and kurn.. first of all kurn, if your vet examined the dog and weighed the dog then I would suggest you follow the vets advice about the dosage..
filterkaren, I recently on my vets advice treated a rescued 5 month old boxer pup for generalized demodectic mange. The pup at the time weighed 40lbs and was in terrible condition with mange bumps everywhere and considerable hair loss and was absolutely miserable from the scratching and itching.
So vets advice and dosage schedule was as follows. First day .2 cc or written another way 2/10ths of a cc of straight cattle type 1 % ivermectin given orally for 3 days, then up the dose to .3 for 3 days, then .4 for 3 days etc until reaching .6 (6/10ths of a cc) and keep that dosage until 6 weeks total elapsed time. Took him back for a skin scrape test at that point he tested clear of any juvenile mites or adults so vet suggested a once per week dose of .6 for 2 weeks total , another skin scrape test. Still tested clear so at that point we stopped treatment. This was 2 months ago and so far so good no bumps no itching his hair has grown back and he is healthy with beautiful shiney hair..
I think the graduated dosage approach was to watch for any adverse reactions and to ease the dog into the stronger dose slowly so as not to cause liver damage or risk side effects..
So I think there are as many doses as there are vets lol..
I treat all my dogs with straight ivermectin injected into meatballs they just chow them down. I've never had a dog have a reaction from undiluted ivermectin. My dogs are large dogs (not in the herding merle gene group mentioned earlier).. If I owned smaller dogs I think I would use the diluted version just because the tiny dose would be so tricky to draw up.. I dose my large dogs 1/10th of a cc per 10lbs of dog (UP TO .5) , once per month in the summer but stop during the months of Dec Jan. & Feb to let their livers take a break and rid them of the toxins... I have never had a dog test positive for heartworms yet.

o

I've been trying to post all weekend! I type my response & when I hit "preview" my computer says it "done" however nothing happens! Frustrating. Keeping this short as I don't know if this is going to go through...Using a different computer so here's crossing fingers...

One must remember treatment for mange vs. heartworm will/probably are different dosages.
BrendaSue

o

HEARTWORM DOSAGE WARNING: ERRORS IN SOME POSTS ABOVE, READ ALL POSTS TO FIND CORRECT DOSING LEVELS.

The above posts are confusing at times. Some are correct.

INFORMATION SUMMARY:

HeartGard recommends 2.72 mcg (MICROGRAM - 1 MILLIGRAM IS 1000 MICROGRAMS) of Ivermectin ingredient per pound of dog to be treated. That is .00272 mg per pound.

However, their tablets treat a range of dogs, so that the 51-100 lb box has chewables that contain 272 mcg each, this is actually the recommended dosage for the 100 lb dog. That means the 51 pound dog is receiving twice the recommended dose when on Heartgard. That tells us that there is a bit of leeway in dosage.

Many, many self proclaimed, experienced breeders, friends of vets, etc. state online that they have successfully used a much higher dose when they indicate 1/10 cc per 10 lbs of undiluted 1% Ivomec (or similar 1% Ivermectin solution). This is quite possible because the treatment of other conditions calls for even higher doses more often than monthly.

BUT DO YOU WISH TO USE MORE MEDS ON YOUR DOG THAN NEEDED AND TAKE A RISK?

I have verified these numbers with websites and with a few different math approaches. So ......

DOSAGE SUMMARY: I do not recommend anything, I am just sharing my calculations to maybe help prevent a problem.

Heartgard's dosage level: 2.72 microgram (mcg) per pound of dog
A 1% solution (like Ivomec) contains 10,000 mcg in just one ml of undiluted, from the bottle, solution. For a 100 lb dog, you only need 272 mcg (.272 mg) of ivermectin ingredient and that is contained in only .0272 ml (cc) of 1% undiluted solution. Tiny amount per month folks to equal Heartgard's dosage. So the corrected chart posted by dog nut is for that level:

Dogs weight = volume of 1% undiluted solution
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .019 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

You need a tiny syringe. But recall that 50 lbs to 100 lbs can all take the .027ml, roughly .03 ml, dose. Understand that .03cc is 3/100 of a cc. NOT 3 tenths!

All the dilutions reduce the amount of ivermectin per cc, so that you can have more liquid to more easily measure it out but still get the same total amount of ivermectin ingredient.

If others are correct, then .1 (1/10th)cc per 10 pounds is a safe max maybe. That is .01 ml per pound which delivers 100 mcg per pound. Do realize that is much much higher than the Heartgard dose of 2.72 mcg per lb. 30 times plus.

If you dilute the original 1% solution, 1 part to 9 parts other liquid (options in above thread, but not water), then you could use this diluted solution at the same 1/10 cc per 10 lbs of dog ratio but then your dog would get 10 mcg per pound. Safer likely but still above the 2.72 mcg Heartgard.

I would try to find a tiny syringe that measures in 1/100 cc/mls and use the chart personally, to avoid the dilution step. Good luck.

IF ANYONE FINDS AN ERROR HERE, BY ALL MEANS CORRECT ME.

o

After over 30 years of breeding dogs and using my ivomec mixture , 1cc ivomec to 35 cc proplyene glychol, at .1cc for 10lbs, I have never has a problem but was just reading all the responses and was concerned. Seems that is the normal dosage everybody uses but now i have reduced my dosage a little.
My problem is a 2.5 lb chorkie puppy that my vet has been treating with drontel for 4 weeks now and he still has hooks. Other than the dosage i am using (starting today) does anybody have a differnt approach ?
this little fellow needs relief.......

Here is a link that might be useful: my website

o

The dosage for Ivermec should be .1cc/10 lbs or 1cc for 100 lbs. using 1% Ivermec orally. Proplyene glychol is not needed, they do like the taste better though.

I'm not sure I'm reading your dosaging correctly. What dosage of ivermec, if you were giving it straight, would the dog be getting? .1cc/10 lbs of the mix? It's not enough if so. Are you using 1% Ivermec or the .875% Ivermec? Drench or pour on? Paste or liquid?

Congrats on the 30 years of raising dogs. I'll bet you can tell us a few tricks, huh? If your dosages are correct I wonder if dog worms can develop a resistence to a wormer? There's high resistence in goats, so I know it happens.
I wonder if sprinkling DE in their area would help with reducing/eliminating the worm load on your kennels. Google food grade Diamactus Earth (sp?) for more information.

I certainly don't have your experience in raising dogs but sometimes a fresh look from an outsider helps. I hope it does in this case.
Brendasue

o

I am a 65 year old pharmacist not a vet. Ivermectin, unlike human drugs, must really have a wide and safe dose range since many of the posts in this thread seem to suggest an overdose of what is really needed to prevent heartworms in dogs. Some of the confusion might be because of the similarity of the words milligram (mg) and microgram (mcg or ug): 1 milligram (mg) = 1000 micrograms (mcg). For me, following the steps below eliminate the confusion. Using the formula in step #5 allows anyone who knows the weight of their dog in pounds to calculate the proper dose in milliliters of the dilution prepared in step #1 for his or her dog.

The commercial product Ivomec 1% Injection contains 10 mg ivermectin / 1 ml or 10,000 mcg / 1 ml

1) Take 1 ml (10 mg) of Ivomec 1% and dilute it to 10 ml total volume which gives a concentration of 10 mg in 10ml solution. Propylene glycol is readily available so it may be used: 1 ml Ivomec 1% Inj. + 9 ml propylene glycol = 10 ml diluted solution with a concentration of 10 milligrams / 10ml which is the same as 10,000 micrograms / 10ml or 1,000 micrograms per 1 milliliter since 1 milligram = 1,000 micrograms. Label this: ivermectin 1,000 mcg / 1ml dilution and write the date on the label of when it was prepared.

2) The dose range of ivermectin for dogs is 0.003-0.006 milligrams/kg body weight (1kg=2.2 lb) or 3-6 micrograms/kg of body weight. All calculations below use the higher dose of 6 micrograms / kg of body weight or 2.72 micrograms / pound of body weight.

3) Therefore a 100# dog (45.45kg) needs a 272 mcg dose: 45.45 kg x 6 mcg/kg = 272 mcg dose

4) The diluted solution prepared in step #1 contains 10,000 mcg / 10 ml or 1,000 mcg / 1 ml or 100 mcg / 0.1 ml therefore the dose in step #3 can easily be calculated: 272 mcg will be contained in 0.272 ml of the dilution prepared in step #1 which can accurately be measured using a 1 ml insulin or TB syringe which is graduated in tenths of a milliliter (0.1, 0.2, 0.3 ml), and which has 10 markings between each increment of 0.1, 0.2, etc. The 0.272 ml dose is measured by drawing up an amount past the 0.2 ml mark plus 7 of the smaller markings almost to the 0.3 ml mark.

5) Using the following formula, a proper dose can be calculated for any dog whose body weight is known:

_______ Weight of dog in pounds X dose of 2.72 micrograms per pound of body weight 1000 mcg per ml ivermectin dilution prepared in step #1 = dose in milliliters of dilution from step #1

Examples: A dog weighs 77 pounds so 77 x 2.72 1000 = 0.21 ml of dilution given in food once a month

A dog weighs 125 pounds so 125 x 2.72 1000 = 0.34 ml of the dilution given in food once a month

A dog weighs 12 pounds so 12 x 2.72 1000 = 0.03 ml of the dilution given in food once a month

I would use the diluted solution simply because of the 10 fold less chance of error. Measuring 0.21 ml is easily possible while measuring 0.021 ml is prone to error. I would prepare the dilution fresh each season and discard any unused diluted solution at the end of the season. I have read that ivermectin is photolabile meaning it is destroyed by light so both it and the dilution should be stored in a cool, dark place at or below room temperature. It does not seem necessary to refrigerate the solution or the diluted solution.

o

Ok... so does 1/10cc per 10lbs mean my 50 lb dog gets .5cc which is half of 1cc undiluted?

o

With a view to saving a little money providing for three large dogs, I am thinking of alternating on a monthly basis between Sentinel and Ivomec.

Here's my reasoning: I like that with one pill a month the Sentinel takes care of not only the heart worm but also hook & round worms as well as fleas. Not having to do any additional flea control is a huge benefit. I'm wondering how well those benefits of the Sentinel can be drawn out over a period of longer than 30 days without taking a chance on heart worm, as the Ivomec will keep that at bay.

Any comments are welcomed.

o

Oldpharmacist,

THANK YOU!

Your info was exactly as I calculated it (I'm an "old" nurse). It took me a while to check and recheck the numbers, but I came up with exactly what you did.

My question: How stable is the Ivomec when diluted with vegetable oil? It does not mix well. What I do is to dilute the 1cc IVOMEC with 9cc oil, and "roll" the syringe in my hands until it appears as mixed as it can get. But I'm still worried that its got an uneven distribution.

I can't find propylene glycol in smaller amounts that a gallan jug! Or I'd use that.

I do not save what's left over after I mix the IVOMEC with the oil. I throw it away. Which is fine, b/c 1 vial of IVOMEC has more in it that I could use before it expires, anyway, and its STILL a heck of a lot cheaper than Heartguard!

o

You can order 16oz of Propylene Glycol from revivalanimal.com for 6.95 with 6.99 shipping, it's still cheaper than buying a gal for 19.95. I got mine today, it's enough for a few years. .03cc/10# of diluted ivomec is what I got this forum.

o

Thanks, rickiinla.

Just ordered some. Appreciate it!

o

So If I Mix this up, and use the Propylene Glycol, I will have more than enough to treat all my dogs. Can i save what I mix and use it in following months, or is that a no no?

o

I really need help, I am being dim...I know. But I just can't figure out the amount of 1.87% ivermectin paste (the one for horses) to give my 80 pound Chocolate Lab for a VERY severe case of ear mites. I can't afford to take him to the vet, I can barely afford to feed all of us right now. After reading this, I realize how silly I was but I mixed up like 1/8th of a teaspoon of it with some Miconazole (sp) for yeast and rubbed it in his ears. Obviously that wasn't nearly enough and not in the right place :) Can somebody give me a EXACT number and should I just let him eat it? Rub it in his skin? HELP!!! Thank you!

o

So....With a view just to hearworm prevention...

1% Ivomec Injectable (10 mg/ml) (NOT Ivomec Plus which is also labeled for Fluke worms). Product Link: http://www.americanlivestock.com/p-724-ivomec-1-cattle-and-swine.aspx

1ml mixed with 9ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)

Durvet Pour On is 5 mg/ml (500 mcg/1ml). Product Link: http://www.durvet.com/prods/IVERMECTIN_141/DetailSheet.html

2ml mixed with 8ml propylene glycol makes 10 mg in 10 ml (1,000 mcg/1ml)

Heartgard dose is 0.003-0.006 mg/kg (3-6 mcg/kg)

High dose of 6 mcg/kg equals 2.72 mcg/pound.

Dosing formula: Weight of dog in pounds multiplied by 2.72 then divided by 1,000 equals the dose in mililiters.

Reference chart:

60 lb. = 0.16 ml of solution

65 lb. = 0.18 ml of solution

70 lb, = 0.19 ml of solution

75 lb. = 0.20 ml of solution

80 lb. = 0.22 ml of solution

85 lb. = 0.23 ml of solution

90 lb. = 0.24 ml of solution

95 lb. = 0.26 ml of solution

100 lb = 0.27 ml of solution

Do I have it correct? Please e-mail me at firemediceric@yahoo.com with any input.

" Success is never final and failure is never fatal"

o

In reference to the posting on Jan 29th by Steve Hansen. I like the idea of giving my dogs the same dosage of 1% Ivermec as is in Heartgard. I have an 8 lb dog and a 150 lb dog. The 8 lb should get slightly less than .003 ml - the 150 lb should get .0405 ml. I have a 1.0 ml syringe (and bigger ones too) which is pretty tiny. How in the world am I going to accurately measure out a .003 ml dose?

o

To respond to graciemay54:

If you read the reference from oldpharmacist on March 8, 2009 he shows the directions for diluting 1 ml ivomec with 9 ml polypropelene glycol. Using this dilution and his formula : weight x 2.72 divided by 1000 will give you the correct heartgard dosage. Using the diluted method is easier to measure.

o

I think you need to lop the poly off of that, Polypropylene glycol is not very water soluble.

o

My goodness this thread is back. My thoughts are for smaller animals, the dilution is great to get more accurate dosing. Larger animals it's not needed.

I saw a posting the other day about a 4th category of wormer soon to be on the market in Europe. Currently there are only 3 categories. Anyone else hear about it? It's supposed to be available only by subscription. Wish I could remember the name.
Brendasue

o

wow, hi everyone, what a great thread.

i've been giving my pit bull a mixture of ivermectin from her vet for over 2 years now for SEVERE demodectic mange (her immune system is suppressed), and from what i'm reading here it seems that his solution is the 1cc ivomec to 9cc propylene glycol because i give my dog .4cc of this stuff daily. she is 40 lbs, so the suggestions seem the same as this thread.

thus far she has shown no side effects other than immune suppression, which i am now learning ivomec does after exteneded doses. i have been giving it to her daily for 3 months, then taking a break for 1 month, then daily again for 3 months.

to date, her fur is growing back but other signs of the mange are still there. because of this gotten rid of all of her vets (my old one was great but very elderly and i think it was beginning to affect his functioning as a doctor). i live in a very money hungry city and here its all about money not pet health. they will happily charge me 200.00 a month for treatments instead of telling me things i can do myself to help my dog.

i am currently paying 50.00 per month for this ivermectin solution. if i can save over 600.00 a year by making my own, i definitely will!

my only questions here are...is it safe to give a dog ivomec 1% injectable straight out of the bottle for MANGE treatment (treating mange automatically treats everything else so i'm not worried about HW)? or is it best to mix with propylene glycol for safest usage? if it can be given straight from the bottle, what would the dosage be for a 40 lb dog suffering from demodectic mange? i see from pepelepew what the dosage would be for mange (.54 cc for 40 lbs of dog) but i am not sure if that's mixed with glycol or straight from the bottle. some seem to give straight from the bottle, some mix it with glycol, and i am sure the dosages are nowhere near the same when given in different manners like this.

my dog is not responding to this current ivermectin treatment one way or another. changing her diet to a human diet has signifigantly improved her condition moreso than the medication has in the last year. i am also now supplementing her with 4 Life Transfer Factor Canine. her first treatments should be by next week so i am hoping that diet and supplements will begin to eradicate her need for so much medication.

i know i sound like a broken record but my dog is not well and i cant afford a vet right now. i've read this thread 2 times, every single post, and i am so bad with math it's ridiculous. i do not want to make my dog sick but i do not want to pay 50.00 a month for something i can pay 50.00 a year for.

any help would be greatly appreciated. break it down into laymen's terms so i can understand lol. i am very new to this all. thank God for each of you and this forum...i think i've found some help, finally.

o

After reading all the threads on this posting, AND after consulting with three independent Vets, AND after consulting with two national breeders: After All That, I Did It! I followed all precautions and dosed one of my five dogs. I'll wait a day or two to dose the rest. For now, everything is fine.

o

Well, I dosed the other dogs this morning. No bad reactions. Its Ivermectin 1% sterile solution. Its 1/10th of a CC for each ten pounds of dog. Go to Walgreens, SavOn or CVS and buy a 1.0 ml insulin syringe. FYI One ML is the same as One CC, so the gradations on the side of the syringe are tenths of a cc. Its not complicated. You MUST have your dog checked for heartworms first, before doing this! If you haven't checked your dog in a Year, don't do this! The Ivermectin will do its job and kill off all the heartworms, and as they dissolve, the dead disintegrating worms will give the dog "toxic shock." As a continuing preventative method however, this is less expensive and more accurate than Heartguard etc. My dogs like it in their food much more than being squirted directly in the mouth.

o

Our 9 yr. old German Shepard suffers from demedectic mange & came down with heart worms. Our vet recommended giving 1.4ml per day for 60 days, which his condition seemed to improve. When he went back for his check-up (60 day) she informed us to keep using it for the mange, and that it would also help with fleas & ticks. ALL of his hair is now falling out & I do mean all of it. Took him back to the vet & she has no idea what the problem is.

Could we be overdosing him & this be the cause of his hair loss. He seems fine in every other aspect-just looks terrible. Any suggestions?

o

Are the heartworms gone? If yes, throttle back the Ivermectin and get thy Dog to another Vet! Mange is from little microscopic critters that live in the hair follicles. What does that mean to you? It means you treat the mange from the outside-in NOT inside-out. There are topical creams and dips for the mange. Bottom Line: Get a Vet with an IDEA what the problem is. . . . .

o

Yes the obvious problem is your vet. Get a new Vet. Ask the first vet for your money back after you get the proper diagonsis.

Call some animal shelters and ask who is a good vet. they should know something. They might even know the problem. An animal shelter gets experience over time with all kinds of problems so they get to know the answers.

Look for a Vet Hospital Uiversity that teaches Vet Medicine. They usually can do an excellent job.

o

I've tried to post about five times...weary so here's condensed ver. - I have 35lb. spitz mix and 45lb. lab mix. They have only missed one month of Heartguard. I have horse paste 1.87% and a 3cc syringe. Could someone make this real simple? I'm figuring it on my own, just want confirmation.

o

The 1% Injectible Cattle Ivomec ( Ivermectin ) states 1 ml for 110 lbs. of body weight.
Some people say to give .1ml ( 1/10cc ) for a 10 lb. dog, but it still should be a little less of .1ml for a 10 lb. dog by that break down.
Some say this is way too much as you cannot compare cattle with dogs.
I use to have a Chinese Crested born in 1994 that was about 12 lbs. at maturity. A vet told me to give him .05ml of straight ivermectin since he was a puppy. I was never sure what the poundage for .05 ml was then. I have since found out that vets do not want to talk about using Ivermectin for cattle in dogs.
I now have three new dogs and all are on Heartgard Plus. I think it is rediculous to pay that much for the little bit of ivermectin that is in it and it is mainly a pyrantel based beef chew.
I want to go back to using the cattle ivermectin, which is very inexpensive.
Searching the internet i found out there are so many different dosage's people use which make it very confusing.
A few breeders do the 14cc to 86cc mix with Propylene Glycol at 1cc per 10 lbs. They have alot of dogs being breeders and i only have three so i really didn't want to go that route.
Then there were some saying to be equivalent to Heartgard a 10 lb. dog would get .0027 ml. That seems impossible to measure. When giving my Chinese Crested .05 ml it was only two drops from the syringe. So why are we paying so much for so little ivermectin that is in those name brand prescription controlled products ?
Recently i talked to someone that has a 60 lb. dog and she gives it .3cc straight ivermectin monthly. So breaking this down i believe the .05cc is for a 10 lb. dog.
On another site someone said they gave .025cc to their Chihuahua's which was vet approved, but did not give a weight of her dogs. Most Chi's are roughly 5 lbs., so if that is correct then i may be on the right track.
.05cc - 10lbs.
.1cc - 20lbs.
.1 1/2 cc -30lbs.
.2cc - 40 lbs.
.2 1/2cc - 50lbs.
.3cc - 60 lbs.

(I would appreciate any comments on this )!

All we want to do is love our dogs even if we are on a tight budget .
Why should we all have to be rich in order to own pets.

o

Why should we all have to be rich in order to own pets.

My thoughts exactly! Still, I don't know how to dose this horse paste, 1.87%. I guess just half the dose it would be at 1%??? I got this tube of paste generic and it was about $2.49. Compare this with Heartguard...BIG difference. We use it for the pygmy goats for worms. Just didn't occur to me to use it for the dogs!

o

lily 490

I also have horses and we use the Ivermectin paste and rotate with pyrantel paste, but using it for dogs that would be another project to figure out.

Maybe someone else might know and make a suggestion.

We also have goats but my husband does not use Ivermectin on them.

As i said before i gave my Chinese Crested .05cc of 1% Cattle Ivermectin which was only two drops. I never did worm him with any other wormer his entire life . He died last year at 14 years of age.
Years ago we use to raise exotic finches ( Lady Gouldians ) and we gave them one drop of 1% Cattle Ivermectin and most were ok.
It makes you wonder ?

As for the horses my vet said the Ivermectin (paste) takes care of all the worms in a horse, with the exception of the tape worms. For the Heartgard for dogs there is so little Ivermectin in it that it does not take care of the other worms dogs get.

I want to give my dogs a little more Ivermectin than Heartgard has to kill other types of worms without using the pyrantel, but less than what the 1% Cattle Ivermectin dose states.
I like a happy medium !

o

In general, how often are dogs supposed to be wormed as a precaution for other than heartworms?

We rotate with three different wormers including ivermectin for the goats. The vet gave me the dosages. I just know better than to try to ask about the dogs because they all want to make the big bucks on the Heartguard. This is why they won't write me a script to use on PetMeds. I found Iverhart very reasonable, but what they sell in the office is twice the cost.

o

lily490

The Heartgard Plus also has the Pyrantel in it which it says kills Hookworms and Ascarids . I thought it was Hookworms and Roundworms only. Whipworms, not sure? . I don't know what is in the ascarid group. I'll have to do some research as i just got my three new dogs and have been out of it for years . I only had that Chinese Crested dog for 14 yrs. and all i ever gave him was the Cattle Ivermectin. The Cattle Ivermectin kills many different worms and should take care of them all .But since the Heartgard has very little of it they said that the ivermectin part only took care of the heartworm , so that is why the Pyrantel is in there also.
I still think it is way overpriced for what little we get in it .
If you just used the plain heartgard for heartworms then you will need to get another kind of wormer for the other ones. Not sure how often to do that unless it's like the horses where i worm them every eight weeks.
One of my dogs had tapeworms so i got a completely different type of wormer for that.

o

I have read ALL these posts and am more confused than ever. I finally figured out that I do not have to redilute the 1% solution - but I see some that say 1/10 cc and some that say 1 cc per 10 lbs of weight - that's a big difference for a 70 lb dog - so which is it? Seems to me that 1/10 would be correct although the syringe I have is broken down into 1/5 increments .20 up to 1 cc.

Also, what are the indicators that I've screwed up? When do I need to go to the emergency vet and how long do I have to get there before an OD is fatal?

o

dixiedragon

The .1 ml or cc per 10 lbs. is the breakdown from the cattle dosage of ivermectin if used straight. Some people say that they use that much , but i would not.
On the 1 ml or cc per 10 lbs. , that is mixed with the Propylene Glycol.
I do not want to do that either . I find there are so many different formulations with it as i got confused.
If you read on the cattle ivermectin pamplet it says it has Propylene Glycol already in it.

You do need to get a much smaller syringe . I think it is called an insulin syringe as it's total is one ml(1.0) , and breaks down to the .1 ml (1/10).

I did hear about another dosage for the cattle ivermectin that was suppose to be from a vet for a dog :
1 ml for 500 lbs.
.1ml for 50 lbs.
Then it seems to me if this is broken down that it should be close to the Heartgard formulation.

I will continue to research this subject and i am just about ready to get my dogs off the Heartgard Plus and go back to the cattle Ivermectin.
It would be much easier if a vet would just tell me the correct dosage , but i can't seem to get any of them to tell me . ( Maybe they don't know either )

lily490

As for your question about worming dogs for worms other than the heartworms i found a site that stated :
Puppies - 4 to 12 weeks - every 2 weeks.
12 weeks to 6 mo.'s. - monthly
6 mo.'s & older - every 3 mo.'s.
I just bought a Chihuahua puppy that is 8 mo.'s old and he was supposed to be wormed every 3 months and i think she had skipped last month . I wormed him using the cattle safeguard (fenbendazole)at one ml for three days.
He had a mixture of worms expelled after the 2nd day of worming.

Any comment's are welcomed !

o

1 mg = 1000 mcg (micrograms) From Wikipedia: ..."a microgram (μg or sometimes ug) is 1/1,000,000 of a gram (1 106), or 1/1000 of a milligram... ...hospitals do not use this abbreviation in handwritten orders due to the risk that the Greek letter μ could be mistaken for an m, resulting in a thousandfold overdose. The abbreviation mcg is recommended instead..."
-------for a 55-100lb dog, a Heartgard dose of 273mcg:
Amount of IVOMEC = 273mcg X 1mg/1000mcg X 1ccIVOMEC/10mg
= 273 (mcg/mcg)(mg/mg)c X 1 X 1 /1000 X 10
= 273cc/10,000 = .273cc/10 = .0273cc

o

On the Safeguard ( Fenbendazole ) for cattle & goats i was told to give my new Chihuahua 1ml for 3 days . I bought a bottle and did some research and figured that was way too much for him at 5 lbs. and the label did not say anything about doing it three days in a row. He is alright ,less many worms, but if anyone has used this what dosage is correct ?
By what the label said I figured it should of been .15ml or 0.1 1/2ml and not One ml.

o

i visited a Big R store and was talking to an employee and she was telling me about 1cc of ivomec to 19 cc of propelene glychol and administering .01cc per 10 lbs on my dogs and i wanted to check it out. she told me she has been doing this for 20 years. i hav 1 jack russll/ brittney spaniel mix approx 35 lbs and 12 years old, 1 chow mix , approx 65 lbs and 5 yrs old, and 1 pit bull mix approx 60 lbs and 3 years old. if you could give me some advice i would appriciate it. i hate having to spend so much at the vet if i don't have to, but i want to do it safely. it has probably been 1 yer since my dogs have been tested for heartworms. they are mostly inside dogs. do i need to get them tested again before i would give them any of this medicine or would it be safe to go ahead. we have always had them tested as we have skipped around on giving them heartworm medicine

o

djct55:

Regarding the dose for Fenbendazole- I've used it in the paste form for many years and the dose per my vet is 2cc per 10 lbs. of body weight. This always seems to work just fine.

The real trick is getting the paste from the big tube into your syringe. I found if I got the largest syringe I could that would give me the measurements I needed, I would remove the syringe plunger and squirt the paste into the back end of the syringe. You then want to hold the tip of the syringe pointed up and carefully insert the plunger until it is just secure in the syringe. Then, gently tap the side of the syringe on the edge of a counter, sink, or whatever your comfortable with until the paste settles down onto the plunger and there are no air holes in the paste. You can then ease the plunger toward the tip to eliminate the air pocket in the front of the syringe so you can get an accurate measurement.

I've also put all the paste into a bowl or plastic container and diluted it with a little bit of distilled water so it was fluid enough to draw up into the syringe in the usual fashion. The dosing is not that critical that the little bit of water you use will hinder the ability of the fendabendazole to do it's job.

Hope this helps.

o

Hello to all,
I have been a vet tech, and have a vet very close in our family. I trust him with all of our pets lives, bar NONE. I rescue animals, no matter what their condition, and spend a considerable amount of money, time, and heart felt emotions in these animals. I would never do anything to hurt them. All of the posts I have seen in reference to ivomec at 1cc per 10 lbs of dog to be not only extremely accurate but also extremely beneficial. We have rescued over 200 dogs, many of which have had heartworms. Many were initially too ill to undergo heartworm treatment, but with the help of good food supplements, vitamins, tlc, and ivomec they have ALL eventually undergone heartworm treatment and survived.(under the care of the vet)
In addition, I have 3 dogs who have demodex mange(chronic if you will)who also get monthly injections of ivomec and they have not had a "recurrence" or demodex mange in which they loose their hair. While demodex is said not to be contagious, with so many dogs I treat them all with ivomec to worm, and prevent. At the current time we house 24 dogs, 2 cats, 2 ferrets, and a savannah monitor. All of which are in great health. I have never given ivomec to any of the animals but the dogs.
In 2006 one of my beloved pugs was attacked. I had just adopted him less than 2 months prior, and just found out that he was demodex positive. It was very scary. He was 3 weeks into his weekly treatments when he was attacked. He hung dearly to life, and thank goodness to the love and compassion of a wonderful round the clock vet team(without them, he surely would have perished)he is still with me, and is still my pride and joy. I will share with you what the vet shared with me...as we thought he was on the cusp of recovery, his liver enzymes started to drop to a dangerous level. Although in my panic when he was first attacked I had told our vet about his ivomec usage, she had been so busy trying to save him from the rampant infection he was fighting that the ivomec seemed an unnecessary added detail. It turned out it wasn't. Due to her diligence and some of my knowledge we realized he was not fairing as well as he should due to his liver enzymes being unbalanced. Once we put 2 and 2 together we got on a rapid uphill battle to save him, and we started winning...finally. Some $4000 later he is alive and well but I am very cautious about my use of ivomec, and very respectful of its power. Please be aware, while this is an excellent medication, and I use it every month with ALL of our dogs, I am aware of its capability to take a dog to a place where we may never want them to go. This drug is not for those who do not have any knowledge or are the least bit unsure of yourself. Be prepared to share this medication and its usage with your vet if you should need to. Until we all get vet bills we can afford, we have to do something to help the animals that already exist. I hope this helps someone, I'm sorry for blabbering on, I thought it might be food for thought. Wish all of you well, and if you have any questions I will be glad to try to help. Vickie

o

My beloved rescue was infected with demodectic mange so severely that I was beginning to think I would lose her. My vet tried several courses of injectable ivermectin, given orally, with no improvement. In desperation, I took her to the dermatology clinic at one of the leading vet school in the world. They immediately told me that they would be treating her with 1% injectable ivermectin, given orally. They also told me that it was not an approved treatment, but it would cure her! I gave her 0.85 cc's of ivermectin, every day for 9 months! Please note that she is only a 42 pound dog! She had no side effects from this treatment that I could tell. The vets did tell me to watch for staggering, drooling-any abnormal behavior. There was nothing. She was cured a year ago. I now give her 0.85 cc injectable ivermectin, orally, once a month for heartworm. Expensive heartworm medicine is such a rip-off.A friend of mine has a dog who tested heartworm positive while treated with revolution. The company paid for the $500 heartworm treatment. Her vet then told her to use the injectable ivermectin once a month at the 0.1 cc per ten pound body weight dosage. Why do I use the higher dosage? Well, I know she tolerates it well, and I think it does kill any adult fleas she may be carrying.

o

Its already working on my dog for mange. i give him .80ml everyday he weighs a good 75lbs. i can see improvement everyday!!! THANK YOU so much!!!!!:)

o

OldPharmacist -- you are correct! My vet also says to discard the unused portion. Also, if using for HW preventative only, it is not necessary to use this in the winter months when there is at least one frost. This mixture does not treat fleas.

o

My 10 yr. old female, 1/2 chow and 1/2 (?), has got heart worms. I moved here from TN. mountains where there were none. She has started the hacking now so i suspect she has had these heart worms for about 15 months now. The vet said he would not treat her with the fast kill heart worm treatment he has to offer at her age. So, a friend of mine that works at a vet said to use the invermectin 1% as this is a slow kill and she would have a better chance at making it. I have her on Temaril P for her coughing and hacking.She weighs 16 lbs. so I figure to give her .04 ml of the 1% invermectin diluted like OldPharmacist suggested above. She eats real good and loves to still play a lot but every once in a while you can tell she feels bad at times especially after coughing so much. Anyway, is she too old to use this invermectin on? I guess the vets use something that is quite powerfull as they use 1 injection of what ever they use, then you bring the dog back in 2 weeks for a final injection.,Looks like the worms would lodge in the dogs heart valves killing the worms off this fast. Anyway, I am just looking for some incouragement for doing this right away as I don't want to see my dog suffer or die.,Any help would be appreciated and if my dosage is wrong please let me know. I do know that it is still going to be hard to measure up .04 ml/cc of this in a 1 cc syringe. I would think that .04 ml/cc is just a drop.Do you need to keep your dog quite and in a restfull state for awhile?How often should this dosage be given to her since she already has heart worms? Thank you all....

o

The drug used by most Vet's to kill adult heartworms is Immiticide. Treating with ivermectin will kill some of the migrating immature worms, because it's only effective at one stage in the heartworm life cycle. Ivermectin is most useful clearing the microfilariae thus stopping the heartworms reprouducing cycle. Please check with your vet before treating with ivermectin as your dog may need drugs to help deal with clearing the microfilariae from the blood stream.
Do a search for treating older dogs for heartworms may give you some helpful information. As far as dosing for a 16 pound dog goes .04 (4/100) ml is hard to measure. Needs to be diluted more to make the dose for a small dog easy to measure. Refer to a post by Zensojourner "Ivermectin for doggies" on this forum for a more diluted and still correct way to dose smaller dogs. Ivermectin is a good drug for HW prevention and I use it every month for my 10 dogs. I wish you and your dog the best. If more info is needed please post again. I have had two dogs with heartworms,one was treated a couple of months ago and another will be starting treatment with the progressive kill new protocol in about three weeks.
Good Luck, oldhounddog

o

I gave my dog the 30:1 ratio of the Ivermectin 1% 2 days ago. Seems it didn't do her any harm, so far anyway. Can what looked like 2 very small drops really kill off heart worms? Seems like that is a really small amount. That must be powerful medicine. Anyway, when should I give her her next dose? If you remember, she is 10 yrs. old and has probally had these HW's for about 15 months now. i want to kill off the small ones and I guess just let the larger ones live until they die since they will no longer be able to reproduce when this medicine is in her blood stream. Is this the correct way to do it? i don't want to have the vet do their kind of fast kill as it is to hard on even a young dog, let alone one that is over 10 yrs old. By what research I have done I believe this is a correct way of doing it but haven't come across how often you should give the dose. Any help appreciated as to the dosage and if I am doing anything wrong. I have given her .04cc/ml of the 30:1 dosage. I used .10cc of the ivermectin mixed with 3cc's of canola oil. This made it a 30:1 dose and of that I gave her .04cc/ml of that. She weighs 16lbs. I hope it was enough, if not, please let me know. Thanks to all....

o

I am wanting to begin using Ivomec (Ivermectin) for my Dane but I am sure which to use. It sounds like everyone here is giving their dogs an oral dose. I have linked a site with several products. Can someone help me figure out which to buy? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivomec

o

davidinokc

Just use the ivomec for cows injectible 1%. Since you have a Dane you can probably get by with diluting it 10:1. Since I don't know the weight of your dog I can't tell you exactly how much to give of the 10:1.Refer to a post by Zensojourner "Ivermectin for doggies" for the correct dosage for your dog. Since I gave this to my dog she seems to be coughing more but I guess this is because the smaller worms are dying in her heart and lungs and irritating her. I have her on Tamiril-P and Doxycycine also for the cough and infection that might try to set in. I am trying to do everything as close as the vet would if I would have had the $800.00 they would require to do this. That is, if they would even try to do the slow kill instead of the fast kill which is very hard on a dog. Anyway, maybe in a few months my friend (my dog) will get better.The only way you can even tell she has heart worms is that she coughs most of the time. She eats me out of house and home, her and the 3 cats, but she loves to play and ride all the time. I guess time will tell....

o

caji316,
Your 30:1 mix of Ivomev 1% injectible is good. Oil and injectible Ivomec 1% do not mix well so it may call into question how much ivermectin your dog is actually getting in the dose given. It would be better if you could get a 16 oz. bottle of food grade propylene glycol usp.(CAUTION: do not use antifreeze ethylene glycol deadly poisionous!!)
from a local independent pharmacy (not chain store). The Ivomec 1% will mix with this very well. The HW prevention dose for a dog up to 25 pounds is aprox. 68mcg ivermectin. Your 30:1 mix is .1 (ml/cc) Ivomec 1% that contains (1mg/1000mcg)ivermectin and mixed with 3 cc/ml oil or propylene glycol.
This is 1000mcg/(3cc/ml)= 333mcg ivermectin per (ml/cc) or 33mcg in (1/10) .1 (ml/cc). So if you dose @ (4/10) .4 cc/ml that would be 132 mcg of ivermectin. HW prevention meds are given once a month.

o

caji316,
Since your mission is to kill as well prevent Heartworms please check out this information.... http://www.adoptarott.net/heartworm.html

Hope your dog is doing well.

o

Have a puppy with ear mites. Puppy is 11 weeks old. I have been told that I can use Ivermectin, but never told how much per pound I should use. I've been told to put it directly into the puppy's ear. Is this correct? ANY help would be VERY appreciated! Thanks!

o

I have been told Ivermec is also very effective against ticks. I live in the Virgin Islands and have 5 dogs and ticks are a HUGE problem. I have used all the conventional treatments and am now going to use Ivermec. Does anyone have any experience with using Ivermec in treating ticks? Dosage and frequency?

o

> Locating a 16 oz bottle of food grad propylene glycol for mixing HW meds. <

Food grade propylene glycol usp can be obtained from an independent drug store ,(not chain store>, if not in stock they will order it for you. It took my local drug store two days to get me a 16 oz. bottle at an approx cost of $11.00 .

o

This topic has 5 years of messages, 155 replies. Tons of misinformation. The page demonstrates why a moderator is needed to clean up posts to a forum - to edit & delete bad information, off-topic opinions, etc. Reading this made me sad that the blind are leading the blind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivormectin for Dummies

o

**** WARNING WARNING WARNING **********

DO NOT give ivermectin to any collie-type dog! About 1/3rd of collies have a gene that allows ivermectin to cross the blood-brain barrier and it will kill them. Likewise, do not give to puppies under 8 weeks of age, for the same reason. REMEMBER some mixed breed dogs may also carry this gene, if your dog has any collie (australian shepherd, shetland sheepdog, old english sheepdog, collie, border collie, etc), you may want to test before administering ivermectin for heartworm prevention. Here is some information on this genetic defect and how to test for it:

http://www.awca.net/drug.htm

DO NOT MIX with valium or other tranquilizers, spinosad (Comfortis), Amitraz (mitaban or preventic). If you are using the normal heartworm preventative dosage (1.5 mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight) the Preventic or Mitaban should be ok, but if you're dosing higher than that it isn't safe. I don't know where the "cut-off" is so better safe than sorry. There may be other potential drug interactions I don't know about, but those are the ones I know about.

DO NOT EVER USE anything but STRAIGHT, PURE ivermectin as a heartworm preventative for dogs. That means NO PASTES, NO IVOMEC PLUS, nothing but the pure product. There are other chemicals and drugs in these other versions that are bad for your dogs, and could even kill them.

The ONLY things ivermectin will help control are mange (much higher dosages than for heartworm protection), roundworm, hookworm, and heartworm. It does nothing for fleas, ticks, or tapeworms.

ivermectin does NOT kill adult heartworms, only the microfilaria. Have your dog tested for heartworm BEFORE you start giving ivermectin, because once you start, the test for adult heartworms is no longer accurate. If you're already giving Heartguard, you're already giving your dog ivermectin because that's what Heartguard is. THIS IS IMPORTANT because if your dog has a heavy infestation of adult heartworm, he/she is likely to need treatment specific for that, and they don't use ivermectin for that as it has been found NOT to affect the adult stage.

IT MATTERS whether you are using Ivomec cattle wormer or Ivomec swine wormer. These are the same drug (ivomectin pure and simple) but they are different dosages.

USE ONLY Propylene glycol to dilute Ivomec - it is NOT water soluble. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try to substitute ethylene glycol for propylene glycol, it will kill your dog.

DILUTED IVOMEC IS NOT TO BE INJECTED - ivomec mixed with propylene glycol is to be administered ORALLY only.

OK, safety disclaimers are out of the way.

Racoony, I went and visited your page and there's a bit of misinformation on there as well. The highest safe dosage of ivermectin for dogs is 200 times the recommended dosage, not 13,000. While I'm sure 13,000 times the recommended dose definitely WOULD be fatal, that doesn't make lower dosages (but still more than 200 times the recommended dosage) safe.

Secondly, although there's nothing inherently wrong with the way you mix your solution (the math's all correct), you've got a big dog. People with smaller dogs need less medication for their dogs and they're going to be hard pressed to do it when the concentration is that high.

Thirdly, the correct dosage for dogs (of ivermectin) is not 2.72 mcg per pound of body weight, although that dosage IS WELL within the safe range of 1.5 mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight. 2.72 mcg per pound of body weight is just the dosage Heartguard uses for their prescription heartworm medication, it's not actually the "correct" dosage, although it is well within the safe range.

I've had some questions about dosing smaller dogs so here goes.

The "usual" mixture that I was using (the last of my dogs died last year at age 18) is as follows.

0.5 ml of ivomec cattle wormer (1%)
49.5 ml of propylene glycol
RESULTING CONCENTRATION: 100 mcg per ml
DOSAGE FORMULA: Dog's weight X 2, then divide by 100 = # of cc to give your dog. (1cc = 1ml)

You could use any number between 1.5 and 3 to multiply your dog's weight (including 2.72), I picked 2 because it's easy to do in your head.

Owners of very small dogs still have some trouble with the above concentration. For an even more dilute solution for very small dogs, try this:

0.1 ml of ivomec (1%) injectable cattle wormer
49.9 ml of propylene glycol
RESULTING CONCENTRATION: 20 mcg per ml
DOSAGE FORMULA: dog's weight in pounds x 2 then divide by 20

(Again, anything between 1.5 and 3mcg per pound of body weight is well within the safe range)

So for a 10 lb dog, a safe dosage would be 1 ml of the 20 mcg per ml solution. (10x2/20 = 1 cc or 1 ml)

See IVERMECTIN FOR DOGGIES if you want an exhaustive breakdown of how to compute safe dosages for different concentrations.

Some information on treating other canine parasites with ivermectin - PAY ATTENTION TO WARNINGS ON THESE PAGES:

Sarcoptic mange/ear mite treatment, for 2 to 3 weeks:
http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/Ivermectin/earmites.htm
http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/Ivermectin/scabies.htm

various canine parasites, DOSAGES GIVEN IN MICROGRAMS PER KG, you'll have to do some math:
http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/parasiteDrug.htm

o

I have read all the postings some very confusing information out there when it comes to Ivermec and Heartworm prevention. I'll share what I know.
I have raised all breeds of dogs all my life, animal lover, but dogs are really my best friends. I have 10 large dogs, ranging from 135lbs down to 63lbs. I raised one complete litter of seven 1/2 breed pups and kept all of them, they will be 7yrs old in December. I also have 2 full blooded German Shepherds (1 a rescue)and a full blood Siberian Husky. I have used an Ivermec solution with them since they were 8 months old, (except for the rescue, but she's on it too.) Till then I used a heartworm preventative from the vet.
I was told by a vet years ago that you should not give Ivermec to a dog less then 6 months old due to their weight rapidly changing, and their internal development, especially their livers and kidneys. So I kept them all on a pill till they were 8 months. Then I started them on an Ivermec solution.
1 cc/ml of 1% injectable Ivomec for cattle
mixed with
19 cc/ml of propylene glycol
The mixed solution is: 1cc/ml per 40lbs
SHAKE WELL before each use - don't get below 30 degrees
or above 80 degrees - keep in cool place out of direct
sunlight.

This has worked for my dogs for years. My two 81/2 year old dogs go to the vet every year and one of my 61/2 yr olds. NONE have ever tested positive for worms of any kind nor have they had any internal ailments thus far. My Shepherd goes back to the vet in a few weeks. (I'll let you know how it comes out.)
However, BE WARNED, I had another Siberian Husky which was the whole sister to the one I still have and she DID have a reaction to the mixed solution. She staggered like a drunk, her breathing got shallow and she got weak and fell down at one point. I immediately researched the symptoms, found out it was a symptom of Ivermec overdose or a allergic reaction to it, so I took her off the solution & started her back on the regular heartworm pill from the vet. So not being a math genius her reaction told me that my mixture had a larger dosage of Ivermec than the pill, because she never had another episode after I put her back on the pill which also contains Ivermec. With that said.....
Also, I have to disagree with folks who say the solution doesn't work on ticks (fleas, still got'em). I have seen a "total" of 6 ticks on my 10 dogs in 8 1/2 years. (All outdoor dogs.) I seen a tick on one of my dogs & he looked wrinkled and when I touched it, it just fell off. Since I don't use anything else on them, it has to be the Ivermec.

On a not so good note, I do have a question. As I stated, my dogs have never tested positive for ANY worms, but I have a friend that has been using the same solution/mixture on their "smaller" dogs and the vet said he they have hookworms, he is dosing them correctly, so what could be the problem? This has gotten us buffaloed to say the least. They weigh from 15 to 40 lbs and they are in a 3/4 acre or larger pen and for 6 small dogs that's big, so I wouldn't think it was confinement causing this infestation. We could really use some great help on this problem. One of his dogs is acting sick. On top of the regular Ivermec solution every month, he has been giving them regular worm medicine for roundworms and hookworms for the past few weeks since the vet said they had hooks, but they still have them and nothing seems to work. This doesn't seem right and he's never had this problem before and he has also raised dogs all his life. IF YOU'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE AND HAVE A SUGGESTION, PLEASE POST A MESSAGE. THIS IS WEIRD AND ANY POSSIBLE SOLUTION WILL BE APPRECIATED. IF THE DOGS DON'T GET SOME HELP HE MAY LOOSE THEM, AND IF THE VET CAN'T FIX IT MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND CAN TELL US THE CURE. I'm beginning to wonder if the vet didn't miss something. Through all these years, we have never changed the mixture of the Ivermec and he has been using it for at least 2 years himself. Should we increase the dosage on his dogs for this hookworm problem?? He don't want to lose his pets, PLEASE HELP!!! No one can figure this one out!!

If any of my story helps you and your pet, then I'm glad and if you can help my friend with his problem that would be great too. Remember, I am not a vet nor doctor of any kind, I'm just sharing my experiences with other animal lovers like me.

o

Hi Dancingwolf,

Your friend can try Panacur which is a powdered wormer for hookworms. You can also try Pyrantel which is a broad spectrum wormer which I have used on rescue puppies for years. It will kill hookworms.Pyrantel is a wormer in Heartgard Plus. I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu who almost died of hookworm infestation and he has been Heartgard Plus all of his life. I really think the Heartgard Brand does not put enough wormer in their product so they can make a bigger profit. I have also used a Drontal tablet with Interceptor when I suspect parasite problem. The Interceptor should not be given to a HW + dog. Hope this helps.

o

I recently took in a Yorkie who is a rescue dog. The day I brought him home I bathed him because he STUNK really bad. He had lots of fleas as well as crusty substance on the end of the ears. I scratched the ends of the ears and his back leg started the scratching motion. So, I dipped him with Paramite dip and gave him .3 dosage of Ivomec. Does anyone know the dosage of Ivomec for Sarcoptic mange. He has the symptoms of mange. I have other dogs and I hope I nipped this in the bud as I bathed and dipped him within an hour after he was here. Please help if you can. Thanks.

o
Treating a dog with Ivomec for Sarcoptic Mange

I recently took in a Yorkie who is a rescue dog. The day I brought him home I bathed him because he STUNK really bad. He had lots of fleas as well as crusty substance on the end of the ears. I scratched the ends of the ears and his back leg started the scratching motion. So, I dipped him with Paramite dip and gave him .3 dosage of Ivomec. Does anyone know the dosage of Ivomec for Sarcoptic mange. He has the symptoms of mange. I have other dogs and I hope I nipped this in the bud as I bathed and dipped him within an hour after he was here. Please help if you can. Thanks.

o

dancingwolf, your mixture and dosing comes to 13.15mcg/lb. That is 4.8 times the heartgard dose of 2.72 mcg/lb. Collies tested safe at 10x and many breeders give it at 37x (straight ivomec 1% at 0.1cc/10lb). That doesn't explain your Husky's reaction.

o

Regarding treating mange, in addition to the Ivermectin, you can smother the mites with Alpha Keri or baby oil. There is an Alpha Keri concentrate available. I got some from a vet in New Zealand, much cheaper than buying the diluted stuff from a pharmacy. Best thing to do is bath the animal in Alpha keri. If that is too expensive, then just put it on the skin. For chickens and birds, just put it on the affected area, do not get feathers oily.

o

several vets have told me to use .27% Ivomec as it is easier to measure then the 1% and that makes it safer to use. You need to know the exact weight of your dog if using in full strength. Full strength is 1 ml per 20 pounds. If using just for heartworm you would use 10% of the full strength dosage or .2 per 20 pounds. Ivomec is the main ingredient in Heartguard. Talk to your vet prior to using if you have a collie or Sheppard breed dog.

o

jennieh51 -

Better late than never. I'm not a vet, but I haven't heard of using ivermectin for sarcoptic mange, only for demodectic mange.

Sarcoptic mange can be treated by giving the dog a bath with 10% sulphur shampoo. You can mix this yourself with 1 tsp of powdered garden sulphur plus 9 tsp of mild shampoo. Let it sit on the dog for several minutes before you rinse it off. Use every 4-7 days a couple times.

Demodectic mange is literally a whole different critter. It can be treated with ivermectin. I took a dog to the vet for dem. mange once, and then treated a different dog later by looking up the dosage in the online Merck veterinary manual. It is a higher dose than the one used for heartworm, and given daily until the hair grows back. In my opinion it is MUCH better to consult a vet for this.

o

I too would like to know about treating ear mites with
ivemectrin. Also would like to know about flea treatment
I was told by a breeder that her vet mixes
ivemectrin with rubbing alcohol for a topical flea treatment down the back but she did not know the amounts
Also has anyone used food grade diatomacious earth
for parasites internally or externally its all natural
and that interests me

o

I just got back from vet and my boxer has demodectic mange. he was given ivomec 1%
.15ml for first 2 days, .30ml for 2 days, .45ml for 2 days, .60ml for 2 days then .80ml daily for 2-4 months.
Cooper is 35 pounds and almost 5 months

Hope this helps any of you

o

Friends: Please make sure you understand the differences between using Ivomec for heartworm prevention and for mange eradication. They are different dosages. Also, the American Heartworm Society has recognized that, for treatment of EXISTING heartworm infection, a program of ivermectin ALONG WITH daily doxycycline before any melarsomine treatment will improve the dog's chances of avoiding inflammation and thromboembolism during die-off of the heartworms. This treatment has also proven to cut-off the transmission via mosquitos, as the microfilaria will not advance to juvenile worms. There are very clear research papers written on this subject that are available on the internet. If your dog is positive for heartworms, give it the best chance of survival by reading up on this information, as many vets are still in the dark about it.

Aloha!

o

I am wanting to know more about give ivermectin to a dog we rescued, he is a pit bull, about 60 lbs. male and tested positive for heart worm, we cannot afford the treatments and the vet said there is no other way, I have been reading these posts on ivermectin and would like to know how to use this to treat for heartworm and get rid of them. Could someone tell me in detail how this is done and dosage and when and how much. This would be great!

o

First ivomec give at the 1/10th cc per 10 lbs is to help prevent intestnal parasites too. I dilute mine & it goes a long way. It is easier on the dog & easier to give. The formula is below. Giving Ivermectin to HW positive dogs does little if not used with doxycycline and even then it is less than 80% effective. Read the attached link & chart & discuss with a Vet or clinic.

If you have a collie, Aussie, Sheep Dog, German Shepherd etc you should order an MDR1 mutant gene test before administering Ivomec. It can be done & sent in for approx. $65.00 to Washington State University. You do it from home. It is important info to know because there are many other drugs that can have adverse effects if your dog carries the MDR1 gene. This is WSU's site & has breeds effected and drugs that may effect, also how to order.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/test.aspx

Another caution is treating a Heartworm positive dog with ivermectin can have a problem with Anaphylactic reaction; Anaphylactic shock; Shock - anaphylactic. I've seen this happen and it was at a Vet's Office and they saved the dog.

I use Ivermectin and have for years. It is a great off-label use. I use it as a preventative. It's not for dogs with a seizuure disorder.(Then use Interceptor)

If your dog has heartworms without first administerng doxycycline you can have a horrendous reaction in dogs. It's rare but you don't want to go there. Ivermectin without the anti-biotic doxycycline has little effect. With doxycycline give with the ivermectin over a 36 wk period it reduced heartworms.

What is Wolbachia?

Wolbachia is an organism that lives inside of heartworms. Some veterinarians now believe that Wolbachia is responsible for some of the blood clots and and malaise that occur during treatment. Because of this, more and more veterinarians are pre-treating dogs with an antibiotic, doxycycline, to destroy Wolbachia prior to administering Immiticide or Ivermectin in high doses.

This is a good site. It's written by a Vet and talks about treatments and has charts for their success & failure in a very limited trial. http://www.2ndchance.info/heartworm.htm
IMPORTANT READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT is also the OPTIONAL LINK

This is my standard explanation I use in a rescue group:
Mixture:
3cc of Ivermec
100cc of Propylene Glycol

Dosage:
1cc/50lbs. of weight

**Make sure the mixture is mixed well before administering.

This is the Ivermectin dilution that is preventative for heartworm, round, hookworms. It is my understanding that it does not protect against whipworms. Only Interceptor & Sentinel protect against whipworms. Ivomec is the injectable 1% sterile solution wormer for cattle and swine. It is an off label use. It is given orally as a heartworm preventative. It is the active ingredient for Heartguard Plus.

The Preventic Tick Collar containing Amitraz has shown to have a possible reaction to Ivermectin. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html
"INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

Ivermectin should not be used in combination with valium or related tranquilizers (the infinitesimal doses used in Heartgard excepted). It should not be used if a dog is being given Clomicalm, generic clomipramine HCL. It should not be used in conjunction with Amitraz (Mitaban�) dips nor with Amitraz tick prevention collars (Preventic� collars). These medications are all members of the monoamine oxidase inhibitor group and when they used together their effects add together creating sedation and adverse neurologic effects. "

Also, certain dogs, including Collie Dogs, should not be given Ivermec. Other dogs known to be effected are the Shetland sheepdog(Sheltie), english sheepdog, Australian Collie. They are carriers of the MDR1 Mutant Gene. Ivermec, acepromazine, imodium and many other drugs can be fatal to carriers of the MDR1 Mutant Gene. It is a very easy test for the MDR1 test. It is an in home test that takes a cheek brush sample from their dog that can be obtained by their owners and mailed to Washington State University for testing. This is the Washington State Site.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

http://www.healthgene.com/canine/C142.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Chart for alternative treatments

o

Wait...so for Heartworms.

Are you suppose to just squirt it in mouth/food or inject into dog's body?

o

easier to squirt into/onto some sort of delicious piece of meat (i used to use cheese) that your dog can't help but gobble down --read all above posts for more info on ways of doing this. but sometimes if they know what's coming (i guess it's bitter or something), they won't want to eat it. in this case, just quickly (tho calmly) quirt ivermectin to the back of dogs mouth/throat and blow on their nose (better if YOU've just had something tasty) so they lick it down. then follow with a tasty dog treat.

i treated my rescued 50 lb cattle dog/staffy mix with ivermectin for heart worms, as above posts mention for dosing. he did cough at various times, and i had to be careful to keep him from running around/elevated heart rate during the treatment period. luckily he made it through, doesn't seem to have any lung/heart problems, and was heartworm negative when tested a year after beginning treatment. it's now been 4 or 5 years since that treatment. i didn't use any of the other medications mentioned by KCC above, but probably would if i had to treat another dog.

best of luck!

o

For owners of heartworm postive dogs -

Treating with Ivomec should be done even in heart worm positive dogs as it stops the heart worms from reproducing. With the Ivomec used once a month alone the adult worms will die off slowly in about a 1-2 years. This is a much safer method then the expensive fast kill normally used by vets.

Now if you really want to use the Ivomec for lowering the number of living heartworms and reproduced heartworms on a more effective scale I would suggest also giving your heart worm positive animal "Doxycycline" which is an antibotic that can also be purchased online without a prescription. The combination of these two drugs together triple the effectiveness of Ivomec for elminating living heartworms. Matter of fact even most vets will use this treatment before using the fast kill method as it is extremely easier on the animal's system!

We all know how the Ivomec works so lets discuss how the Doxycycline works. First of all they usually come in 50mg or 100mg tablets. For dogs, the usual suggested dosage is 2mg to 5mg per pound, every 12 to 24 hours. For heartworm treatment Doxy should be given at this dosage every day for four weeks. Now on to why this works best and why these drugs should be combined to help treat heartworm positive dogs. Doxycycline kills Wolbachia which is an organism that lives inside of heartworms. Some veterinarians now believe that Wolbachia is responsible for some of the blood clots and and malaise that occur during treatment. Studies indicate that this parasite contributes to the adverse effects of both heartworm infection and heartworm treatment, including inflammation, embolism and allergic reaction. Treatment with doxycycline for 30 days to kill the Wolbachia parasite weakens the heartworms and makes them unable to reproduce, and greatly reduces the chance of adverse reaction during heartworm treatment. This benefit of using Doxy with Ivomec is why, more and more veterinarians are pre-treating dogs with an antibiotic, doxycycline, to destroy Wolbachia even when they plan on following up with administering Immiticide.

Whether or not to followup with Immiticide treatment is up to you. Personally we do not do so as we prefer to continue with the slower kill methods in order to avoid expensive vet bills and the two months of animal confinement that the fast kill Immiticide followup treatment requires.

TREATMENT EXAMPLE: This is how we use both drugs with heartworm positive rescues using a 50lb dog as an example. For the first 4 weeks we start off using .01cc for every ten pounds dosing table to administer .05 (Half a cc) a week for four weeks in combination with twice daily 100mg Doxycycline tablets. At the end of the first month we then move them down to the same once a month dosing schedule used for preventive measures. If you have a high infestation or simply want to be more proactive you can also choose to repeat this process every four months. Meaning three times a year you would do the drawn out combo treatment process and the other nine months you would simply give them then normal preventive once a month Ivomec alone treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/canine-guidelines.html

o

Didn't read all the replies just scanned through some. I work for a vet and we use Ivermec on monkeys at a rate of 0.05 cc/kg. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, this is the common dosage for all animals. You can inject or just as easily give it oraly to reduce stress on the animal. Ivomect Plus or Noromectin Plus can befatal in dogs,however Ivomect or Noromectin (No PLUS) is perfectly fine.

o

Keep in mind that there are two strenghts of Ivermectin: 1% and .1%. The latter being for feeder pig application because of the smaller dose. It seems that there may be a mix up between the two products. Dilluting the 1% by 10 to 1 would result in a .1% solution and be the same as the feeder pig product and may be what should be purchased to be dosed at .1cc per 10 lbs body weight. The average person can get easily confused and spread misinformation which then is seen as fact because we have all done it for so long.

o

Is this dosage and way of giving it the same for mange as well?

o

CAN YOU GIVE THIS TO CATS?

o

IF SAFE FOR CATS, WHAT IS THE DOSAGE OF INJECTABLE IVERMECTIN?

o

i use ivormec for cattle injectable for my bully's (AB'S)
already and am happy! I am curious if i can use it on my 2 lb chihuahua's and yorkies (3 lb) also am i understanding this correctly that they can EAT the injectable as well as inject it???

o

which is better
to inject it or digest it

o

Ok, so i have the quantity for treating my foster dog for heartworms but i want to treat fleas as well. I read on another page that it would be a twice a month treatment orally but that page gave me (i think) .15 or .015 mg. well, the 1% solution that i bought for cattle and swine are in ml. what do i give the dog for flea treatments and how often? i read halfway down the forum but haven't seen the lastest posts so sorry if overlapping.

o

I am a licensed veterinary technician and I have to warn anyone who comes across this forum (it is the top google hit) that most of the dosages recommended on here are extremely high - possibly fatal doses. The actual doseage for ivermectin in dogs is much, much lower. We're talking 0.0068 for a 25 pound dog - that's less than the first very first line on a 1 ml syringe! More than that is contained in the hub of the needle! Here is a breakdown:

68 mcg is recommended for 25 pound dogs (this is the heartgard dosage of 2.72 mcg/pound [that's micrograms NOT miligrams])

1000 mcg = 1 mg

Ivomec is a 1% solution meaning 10mg per ml - so each 0.1 (tenth of an ml) is 1 mg (1000 mcg).

half of a tenth - 0.05 is 500 mcg

BUT YOU HAVE TO GO EVEN LOWER THAN THIS TO GET INTO THE 100 POUND DOG RANGE

A 100 pound dog would only get 0.025 (half of half a tenth)

Do not trust any dosages on this site. Consult your veterinarian - do not trust the hearsay of people who say they got their dosages from a vet.

o

DO NOT BECOME ALARMED BY THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE

According to the Veterinary Drug Handbook by Donald C. Plumb the following are the dosages (perhaps the previous vet tech needs to get out his drug handbook too).

Donald C. Plumb, Pharm.D. (author of this material): Hospital Director of Veterinary Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota.

Dogs: (as a preventative for heartworm)
a. 0.006 mg/kg PO once monthly
b. source: Package insert: Heartgard
minimum dosage of 6 micrograms/kg (0.006 mg/kg) PO per month. Three tablet sizes are available: dogs up to 25 lbs (68 micrograms); 26-50 lbs (136 micrograms); and 51-100 lbs (272 micrograms).

Dogs: as an ectoparasiticide
a. for treatment of Sarcoptes scabiei or Otodectes cynotis infestations: 300 micrograms/kg (0.3 mg/kg) SQ or PO; repeat in 14 days.

As you can see BIG DIFFERENCES if you are treating for mange.

SQ= subcutaneous = YOU ARE ABLE TO GIVE IT AS AN INJECTION
PO= ORALLY

There is also differences in dosages when using as a microfilaricide but everyone in this thread is using it either for mange or heartworm preventative.

OVERDOSAGE/ACUTE TOXICITY:

Dogs: "In dogs, symptoms of acute toxicity rarely occur at single dosages of 2 mg/kg (2000 micrograms/kg). At 2.5 mg/kg mydriasis occurs, and at 5 mg/kg tremors occur. At doses of 10 mg/kg, severe tremors and ataxia are seen. Deaths occurred when dosages exceeded 40 mg/kg."

So let's go through the levels again:

0.006 mg/kg as heartworm preventative
0.3 mg/kg as treatment for mange

2 mg/kg (2000 micrograms)= rare level of acute toxicity
5 mg/kg = tremors
10 mg/kg = severe tremors
40 mg/kg = deaths occur although LETHAL dose is 80 mg/kg

Hope this answers any questions.

I believe that most problems with animals can be safely, effectively, & inexpensively treated at home. Veterinarians serve a purpose but it should be to do the things that we, as intelligent people, cannot do. And this is something that NO ONE should be spending $100's-$1000 to manage!

o

The easiest way to give this is to buy a tube of Equimax horse wormer and the tube has a movable blue marker that you can put on one click or how many clicks you want very easily.
For beagles that weigh between 20-35 lbs, I give one click each month mosquitoes are out. It has Ivomectin 1.87% and also
proziquantel 14.03%.
It gets ALL worms, stops fleas and ticks from sticking.
Cost about $13.00 for 12 clicks.
There is a cheaper one that is only Ivormectin but I pay the extra and get all worms, even heart worms.
I've used it for years on many beagles with no problem.
I feed my dogs pieces of bread weekly and put it on a 1/4 piece, fold it over on itself and they catch it in the air and swallow without tasting. Throw a piece or two before to get them competing.
Hope this helps!
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here