Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinluchsinger

Ivomec dosage for dogs... yet again

erinluchsinger
18 years ago

Okay, so I didn't write all the info down, and now I can't find the thread that I orignally posted with this question.

What is the dosage of Injectable Ivomec to treat heartworms in dogs? Lucy (not a collie) is 40 lb. and I'd like to treat her this way rather than keep buying Heartgard at the extremely inflated price.

Thanks!

Erin

PS... what foods are best to hide it in? I've heard it doesn't taste very good and has a strong smell.

Comments (189)

• Pyewacket
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

**** WARNING WARNING WARNING **********

DO NOT give ivermectin to any collie-type dog! About 1/3rd of collies have a gene that allows ivermectin to cross the blood-brain barrier and it will kill them. Likewise, do not give to puppies under 8 weeks of age, for the same reason. REMEMBER some mixed breed dogs may also carry this gene, if your dog has any collie (australian shepherd, shetland sheepdog, old english sheepdog, collie, border collie, etc), you may want to test before administering ivermectin for heartworm prevention. Here is some information on this genetic defect and how to test for it:

http://www.awca.net/drug.htm

DO NOT MIX with valium or other tranquilizers, spinosad (Comfortis), Amitraz (mitaban or preventic). If you are using the normal heartworm preventative dosage (1.5 mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight) the Preventic or Mitaban should be ok, but if you're dosing higher than that it isn't safe. I don't know where the "cut-off" is so better safe than sorry. There may be other potential drug interactions I don't know about, but those are the ones I know about.

DO NOT EVER USE anything but STRAIGHT, PURE ivermectin as a heartworm preventative for dogs. That means NO PASTES, NO IVOMEC PLUS, nothing but the pure product. There are other chemicals and drugs in these other versions that are bad for your dogs, and could even kill them.

The ONLY things ivermectin will help control are mange (much higher dosages than for heartworm protection), roundworm, hookworm, and heartworm. It does nothing for fleas, ticks, or tapeworms.

ivermectin does NOT kill adult heartworms, only the microfilaria. Have your dog tested for heartworm BEFORE you start giving ivermectin, because once you start, the test for adult heartworms is no longer accurate. If you're already giving Heartguard, you're already giving your dog ivermectin because that's what Heartguard is. THIS IS IMPORTANT because if your dog has a heavy infestation of adult heartworm, he/she is likely to need treatment specific for that, and they don't use ivermectin for that as it has been found NOT to affect the adult stage.

IT MATTERS whether you are using Ivomec cattle wormer or Ivomec swine wormer. These are the same drug (ivomectin pure and simple) but they are different dosages.

USE ONLY Propylene glycol to dilute Ivomec - it is NOT water soluble. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try to substitute ethylene glycol for propylene glycol, it will kill your dog.

DILUTED IVOMEC IS NOT TO BE INJECTED - ivomec mixed with propylene glycol is to be administered ORALLY only.

OK, safety disclaimers are out of the way.

Racoony, I went and visited your page and there's a bit of misinformation on there as well. The highest safe dosage of ivermectin for dogs is 200 times the recommended dosage, not 13,000. While I'm sure 13,000 times the recommended dose definitely WOULD be fatal, that doesn't make lower dosages (but still more than 200 times the recommended dosage) safe.

Secondly, although there's nothing inherently wrong with the way you mix your solution (the math's all correct), you've got a big dog. People with smaller dogs need less medication for their dogs and they're going to be hard pressed to do it when the concentration is that high.

Thirdly, the correct dosage for dogs (of ivermectin) is not 2.72 mcg per pound of body weight, although that dosage IS WELL within the safe range of 1.5 mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight. 2.72 mcg per pound of body weight is just the dosage Heartguard uses for their prescription heartworm medication, it's not actually the "correct" dosage, although it is well within the safe range.

I've had some questions about dosing smaller dogs so here goes.

The "usual" mixture that I was using (the last of my dogs died last year at age 18) is as follows.

0.5 ml of ivomec cattle wormer (1%)
    49.5 ml of propylene glycol
    RESULTING CONCENTRATION: 100 mcg per ml
    DOSAGE FORMULA: Dog's weight X 2, then divide by 100 = # of cc to give your dog. (1cc = 1ml)

You could use any number between 1.5 and 3 to multiply your dog's weight (including 2.72), I picked 2 because it's easy to do in your head.

Owners of very small dogs still have some trouble with the above concentration. For an even more dilute solution for very small dogs, try this:

0.1 ml of ivomec (1%) injectable cattle wormer
    49.9 ml of propylene glycol
    RESULTING CONCENTRATION: 20 mcg per ml
    DOSAGE FORMULA: dog's weight in pounds x 2 then divide by 20

(Again, anything between 1.5 and 3mcg per pound of body weight is well within the safe range)

So for a 10 lb dog, a safe dosage would be 1 ml of the 20 mcg per ml solution. (10x2/20 = 1 cc or 1 ml)

See IVERMECTIN FOR DOGGIES if you want an exhaustive breakdown of how to compute safe dosages for different concentrations.

Some information on treating other canine parasites with ivermectin - PAY ATTENTION TO WARNINGS ON THESE PAGES:

Sarcoptic mange/ear mite treatment, for 2 to 3 weeks:
    http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/Ivermectin/earmites.htm
    http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/Ivermectin/scabies.htm

various canine parasites, DOSAGES GIVEN IN MICROGRAMS PER KG, you'll have to do some math:
    http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/parasiteDrug.htm

• dancingwolf
    13 years ago

I have read all the postings some very confusing information out there when it comes to Ivermec and Heartworm prevention. I'll share what I know.
    I have raised all breeds of dogs all my life, animal lover, but dogs are really my best friends. I have 10 large dogs, ranging from 135lbs down to 63lbs. I raised one complete litter of seven 1/2 breed pups and kept all of them, they will be 7yrs old in December. I also have 2 full blooded German Shepherds (1 a rescue)and a full blood Siberian Husky. I have used an Ivermec solution with them since they were 8 months old, (except for the rescue, but she's on it too.) Till then I used a heartworm preventative from the vet.
    I was told by a vet years ago that you should not give Ivermec to a dog less then 6 months old due to their weight rapidly changing, and their internal development, especially their livers and kidneys. So I kept them all on a pill till they were 8 months. Then I started them on an Ivermec solution.
    1 cc/ml of 1% injectable Ivomec for cattle
    mixed with
    19 cc/ml of propylene glycol
    The mixed solution is: 1cc/ml per 40lbs
    SHAKE WELL before each use - don't get below 30 degrees
    or above 80 degrees - keep in cool place out of direct
    sunlight.

This has worked for my dogs for years. My two 81/2 year old dogs go to the vet every year and one of my 61/2 yr olds. NONE have ever tested positive for worms of any kind nor have they had any internal ailments thus far. My Shepherd goes back to the vet in a few weeks. (I'll let you know how it comes out.)
    However, BE WARNED, I had another Siberian Husky which was the whole sister to the one I still have and she DID have a reaction to the mixed solution. She staggered like a drunk, her breathing got shallow and she got weak and fell down at one point. I immediately researched the symptoms, found out it was a symptom of Ivermec overdose or a allergic reaction to it, so I took her off the solution & started her back on the regular heartworm pill from the vet. So not being a math genius her reaction told me that my mixture had a larger dosage of Ivermec than the pill, because she never had another episode after I put her back on the pill which also contains Ivermec. With that said.....
    Also, I have to disagree with folks who say the solution doesn't work on ticks (fleas, still got'em). I have seen a "total" of 6 ticks on my 10 dogs in 8 1/2 years. (All outdoor dogs.) I seen a tick on one of my dogs & he looked wrinkled and when I touched it, it just fell off. Since I don't use anything else on them, it has to be the Ivermec.

On a not so good note, I do have a question. As I stated, my dogs have never tested positive for ANY worms, but I have a friend that has been using the same solution/mixture on their "smaller" dogs and the vet said he they have hookworms, he is dosing them correctly, so what could be the problem? This has gotten us buffaloed to say the least. They weigh from 15 to 40 lbs and they are in a 3/4 acre or larger pen and for 6 small dogs that's big, so I wouldn't think it was confinement causing this infestation. We could really use some great help on this problem. One of his dogs is acting sick. On top of the regular Ivermec solution every month, he has been giving them regular worm medicine for roundworms and hookworms for the past few weeks since the vet said they had hooks, but they still have them and nothing seems to work. This doesn't seem right and he's never had this problem before and he has also raised dogs all his life. IF YOU'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE AND HAVE A SUGGESTION, PLEASE POST A MESSAGE. THIS IS WEIRD AND ANY POSSIBLE SOLUTION WILL BE APPRECIATED. IF THE DOGS DON'T GET SOME HELP HE MAY LOOSE THEM, AND IF THE VET CAN'T FIX IT MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND CAN TELL US THE CURE. I'm beginning to wonder if the vet didn't miss something. Through all these years, we have never changed the mixture of the Ivermec and he has been using it for at least 2 years himself. Should we increase the dosage on his dogs for this hookworm problem?? He don't want to lose his pets, PLEASE HELP!!! No one can figure this one out!!

If any of my story helps you and your pet, then I'm glad and if you can help my friend with his problem that would be great too. Remember, I am not a vet nor doctor of any kind, I'm just sharing my experiences with other animal lovers like me.

• jennieh51
    13 years ago

Hi Dancingwolf,

Your friend can try Panacur which is a powdered wormer for hookworms. You can also try Pyrantel which is a broad spectrum wormer which I have used on rescue puppies for years. It will kill hookworms.Pyrantel is a wormer in Heartgard Plus. I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu who almost died of hookworm infestation and he has been Heartgard Plus all of his life. I really think the Heartgard Brand does not put enough wormer in their product so they can make a bigger profit. I have also used a Drontal tablet with Interceptor when I suspect parasite problem. The Interceptor should not be given to a HW + dog. Hope this helps.

• jennieh51
    13 years ago

I recently took in a Yorkie who is a rescue dog. The day I brought him home I bathed him because he STUNK really bad. He had lots of fleas as well as crusty substance on the end of the ears. I scratched the ends of the ears and his back leg started the scratching motion. So, I dipped him with Paramite dip and gave him .3 dosage of Ivomec. Does anyone know the dosage of Ivomec for Sarcoptic mange. He has the symptoms of mange. I have other dogs and I hope I nipped this in the bud as I bathed and dipped him within an hour after he was here. Please help if you can. Thanks.

• jennieh51
    13 years ago

I recently took in a Yorkie who is a rescue dog. The day I brought him home I bathed him because he STUNK really bad. He had lots of fleas as well as crusty substance on the end of the ears. I scratched the ends of the ears and his back leg started the scratching motion. So, I dipped him with Paramite dip and gave him .3 dosage of Ivomec. Does anyone know the dosage of Ivomec for Sarcoptic mange. He has the symptoms of mange. I have other dogs and I hope I nipped this in the bud as I bathed and dipped him within an hour after he was here. Please help if you can. Thanks.

• wf1000
    13 years ago

dancingwolf, your mixture and dosing comes to 13.15mcg/lb. That is 4.8 times the heartgard dose of 2.72 mcg/lb. Collies tested safe at 10x and many breeders give it at 37x (straight ivomec 1% at 0.1cc/10lb). That doesn't explain your Husky's reaction.

• carla_grahame_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Regarding treating mange, in addition to the Ivermectin, you can smother the mites with Alpha Keri or baby oil. There is an Alpha Keri concentrate available. I got some from a vet in New Zealand, much cheaper than buying the diluted stuff from a pharmacy. Best thing to do is bath the animal in Alpha keri. If that is too expensive, then just put it on the skin. For chickens and birds, just put it on the affected area, do not get feathers oily.

• odette_wctatel_net
    13 years ago

several vets have told me to use .27% Ivomec as it is easier to measure then the 1% and that makes it safer to use. You need to know the exact weight of your dog if using in full strength. Full strength is 1 ml per 20 pounds. If using just for heartworm you would use 10% of the full strength dosage or .2 per 20 pounds. Ivomec is the main ingredient in Heartguard. Talk to your vet prior to using if you have a collie or Sheppard breed dog.

• bruglover
    13 years ago

jennieh51 -

Better late than never. I'm not a vet, but I haven't heard of using ivermectin for sarcoptic mange, only for demodectic mange.

Sarcoptic mange can be treated by giving the dog a bath with 10% sulphur shampoo. You can mix this yourself with 1 tsp of powdered garden sulphur plus 9 tsp of mild shampoo. Let it sit on the dog for several minutes before you rinse it off. Use every 4-7 days a couple times.

Demodectic mange is literally a whole different critter. It can be treated with ivermectin. I took a dog to the vet for dem. mange once, and then treated a different dog later by looking up the dosage in the online Merck veterinary manual. It is a higher dose than the one used for heartworm, and given daily until the hair grows back. In my opinion it is MUCH better to consult a vet for this.

• westhighlandkennel_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I too would like to know about treating ear mites with
    ivemectrin. Also would like to know about flea treatment
    I was told by a breeder that her vet mixes
    ivemectrin with rubbing alcohol for a topical flea treatment down the back but she did not know the amounts
    Also has anyone used food grade diatomacious earth
    for parasites internally or externally its all natural
    and that interests me

• adnzac_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just got back from vet and my boxer has demodectic mange. he was given ivomec 1%
    .15ml for first 2 days, .30ml for 2 days, .45ml for 2 days, .60ml for 2 days then .80ml daily for 2-4 months.
    Cooper is 35 pounds and almost 5 months

Hope this helps any of you

• Warren_BigIslandPoolService_com
    13 years ago

Friends: Please make sure you understand the differences between using Ivomec for heartworm prevention and for mange eradication. They are different dosages. Also, the American Heartworm Society has recognized that, for treatment of EXISTING heartworm infection, a program of ivermectin ALONG WITH daily doxycycline before any melarsomine treatment will improve the dog's chances of avoiding inflammation and thromboembolism during die-off of the heartworms. This treatment has also proven to cut-off the transmission via mosquitos, as the microfilaria will not advance to juvenile worms. There are very clear research papers written on this subject that are available on the internet. If your dog is positive for heartworms, give it the best chance of survival by reading up on this information, as many vets are still in the dark about it.

Aloha!

• BBSMOM2_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I am wanting to know more about give ivermectin to a dog we rescued, he is a pit bull, about 60 lbs. male and tested positive for heart worm, we cannot afford the treatments and the vet said there is no other way, I have been reading these posts on ivermectin and would like to know how to use this to treat for heartworm and get rid of them. Could someone tell me in detail how this is done and dosage and when and how much. This would be great!

• labs4u_cox_net
    12 years ago

First ivomec give at the 1/10th cc per 10 lbs is to help prevent intestnal parasites too. I dilute mine & it goes a long way. It is easier on the dog & easier to give. The formula is below. Giving Ivermectin to HW positive dogs does little if not used with doxycycline and even then it is less than 80% effective. Read the attached link & chart & discuss with a Vet or clinic.

If you have a collie, Aussie, Sheep Dog, German Shepherd etc you should order an MDR1 mutant gene test before administering Ivomec. It can be done & sent in for approx. $65.00 to Washington State University. You do it from home. It is important info to know because there are many other drugs that can have adverse effects if your dog carries the MDR1 gene. This is WSU's site & has breeds effected and drugs that may effect, also how to order.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/test.aspx

Another caution is treating a Heartworm positive dog with ivermectin can have a problem with Anaphylactic reaction; Anaphylactic shock; Shock - anaphylactic. I've seen this happen and it was at a Vet's Office and they saved the dog.

I use Ivermectin and have for years. It is a great off-label use. I use it as a preventative. It's not for dogs with a seizuure disorder.(Then use Interceptor)

If your dog has heartworms without first administerng doxycycline you can have a horrendous reaction in dogs. It's rare but you don't want to go there. Ivermectin without the anti-biotic doxycycline has little effect. With doxycycline give with the ivermectin over a 36 wk period it reduced heartworms.

What is Wolbachia?

Wolbachia is an organism that lives inside of heartworms. Some veterinarians now believe that Wolbachia is responsible for some of the blood clots and and malaise that occur during treatment. Because of this, more and more veterinarians are pre-treating dogs with an antibiotic, doxycycline, to destroy Wolbachia prior to administering Immiticide or Ivermectin in high doses.

This is a good site. It's written by a Vet and talks about treatments and has charts for their success & failure in a very limited trial. http://www.2ndchance.info/heartworm.htm
    IMPORTANT READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT is also the OPTIONAL LINK

This is my standard explanation I use in a rescue group:
    Mixture:
    3cc of Ivermec
    100cc of Propylene Glycol

Dosage:
    1cc/50lbs. of weight

**Make sure the mixture is mixed well before administering.

This is the Ivermectin dilution that is preventative for heartworm, round, hookworms. It is my understanding that it does not protect against whipworms. Only Interceptor & Sentinel protect against whipworms. Ivomec is the injectable 1% sterile solution wormer for cattle and swine. It is an off label use. It is given orally as a heartworm preventative. It is the active ingredient for Heartguard Plus.

The Preventic Tick Collar containing Amitraz has shown to have a possible reaction to Ivermectin. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html
    "INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

Ivermectin should not be used in combination with valium or related tranquilizers (the infinitesimal doses used in Heartgard excepted). It should not be used if a dog is being given Clomicalm, generic clomipramine HCL. It should not be used in conjunction with Amitraz (Mitaban�) dips nor with Amitraz tick prevention collars (Preventic� collars). These medications are all members of the monoamine oxidase inhibitor group and when they used together their effects add together creating sedation and adverse neurologic effects. "

Also, certain dogs, including Collie Dogs, should not be given Ivermec. Other dogs known to be effected are the Shetland sheepdog(Sheltie), english sheepdog, Australian Collie. They are carriers of the MDR1 Mutant Gene. Ivermec, acepromazine, imodium and many other drugs can be fatal to carriers of the MDR1 Mutant Gene. It is a very easy test for the MDR1 test. It is an in home test that takes a cheek brush sample from their dog that can be obtained by their owners and mailed to Washington State University for testing. This is the Washington State Site.
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

http://www.healthgene.com/canine/C142.asp

• itzlinky_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Wait...so for Heartworms.

Are you suppose to just squirt it in mouth/food or inject into dog's body?

• kawazoe7777_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

easier to squirt into/onto some sort of delicious piece of meat (i used to use cheese) that your dog can't help but gobble down --read all above posts for more info on ways of doing this. but sometimes if they know what's coming (i guess it's bitter or something), they won't want to eat it. in this case, just quickly (tho calmly) quirt ivermectin to the back of dogs mouth/throat and blow on their nose (better if YOU've just had something tasty) so they lick it down. then follow with a tasty dog treat.

i treated my rescued 50 lb cattle dog/staffy mix with ivermectin for heart worms, as above posts mention for dosing. he did cough at various times, and i had to be careful to keep him from running around/elevated heart rate during the treatment period. luckily he made it through, doesn't seem to have any lung/heart problems, and was heartworm negative when tested a year after beginning treatment. it's now been 4 or 5 years since that treatment. i didn't use any of the other medications mentioned by KCC above, but probably would if i had to treat another dog.

best of luck!

• Ms_Samm_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

For owners of heartworm postive dogs -

Treating with Ivomec should be done even in heart worm positive dogs as it stops the heart worms from reproducing. With the Ivomec used once a month alone the adult worms will die off slowly in about a 1-2 years. This is a much safer method then the expensive fast kill normally used by vets.

Now if you really want to use the Ivomec for lowering the number of living heartworms and reproduced heartworms on a more effective scale I would suggest also giving your heart worm positive animal "Doxycycline" which is an antibotic that can also be purchased online without a prescription. The combination of these two drugs together triple the effectiveness of Ivomec for elminating living heartworms. Matter of fact even most vets will use this treatment before using the fast kill method as it is extremely easier on the animal's system!

We all know how the Ivomec works so lets discuss how the Doxycycline works. First of all they usually come in 50mg or 100mg tablets. For dogs, the usual suggested dosage is 2mg to 5mg per pound, every 12 to 24 hours. For heartworm treatment Doxy should be given at this dosage every day for four weeks. Now on to why this works best and why these drugs should be combined to help treat heartworm positive dogs. Doxycycline kills Wolbachia which is an organism that lives inside of heartworms. Some veterinarians now believe that Wolbachia is responsible for some of the blood clots and and malaise that occur during treatment. Studies indicate that this parasite contributes to the adverse effects of both heartworm infection and heartworm treatment, including inflammation, embolism and allergic reaction. Treatment with doxycycline for 30 days to kill the Wolbachia parasite weakens the heartworms and makes them unable to reproduce, and greatly reduces the chance of adverse reaction during heartworm treatment. This benefit of using Doxy with Ivomec is why, more and more veterinarians are pre-treating dogs with an antibiotic, doxycycline, to destroy Wolbachia even when they plan on following up with administering Immiticide.

Whether or not to followup with Immiticide treatment is up to you. Personally we do not do so as we prefer to continue with the slower kill methods in order to avoid expensive vet bills and the two months of animal confinement that the fast kill Immiticide followup treatment requires.

TREATMENT EXAMPLE: This is how we use both drugs with heartworm positive rescues using a 50lb dog as an example. For the first 4 weeks we start off using .01cc for every ten pounds dosing table to administer .05 (Half a cc) a week for four weeks in combination with twice daily 100mg Doxycycline tablets. At the end of the first month we then move them down to the same once a month dosing schedule used for preventive measures. If you have a high infestation or simply want to be more proactive you can also choose to repeat this process every four months. Meaning three times a year you would do the drawn out combo treatment process and the other nine months you would simply give them then normal preventive once a month Ivomec alone treatment.

• jcmjr1_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Didn't read all the replies just scanned through some. I work for a vet and we use Ivermec on monkeys at a rate of 0.05 cc/kg. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, this is the common dosage for all animals. You can inject or just as easily give it oraly to reduce stress on the animal. Ivomect Plus or Noromectin Plus can befatal in dogs,however Ivomect or Noromectin (No PLUS) is perfectly fine.

• porkforprofit_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that there are two strenghts of Ivermectin: 1% and .1%. The latter being for feeder pig application because of the smaller dose. It seems that there may be a mix up between the two products. Dilluting the 1% by 10 to 1 would result in a .1% solution and be the same as the feeder pig product and may be what should be purchased to be dosed at .1cc per 10 lbs body weight. The average person can get easily confused and spread misinformation which then is seen as fact because we have all done it for so long.

• katherine_hooper_umb_com
    12 years ago

Is this dosage and way of giving it the same for mange as well?

• lambchop2323_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

CAN YOU GIVE THIS TO CATS?

• AWANDELL_GMAIL_COM
    12 years ago

IF SAFE FOR CATS, WHAT IS THE DOSAGE OF INJECTABLE IVERMECTIN?

• nakita213_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i use ivormec for cattle injectable for my bully's (AB'S)
    already and am happy! I am curious if i can use it on my 2 lb chihuahua's and yorkies (3 lb) also am i understanding this correctly that they can EAT the injectable as well as inject it???

• wytmtyle_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

which is better
    to inject it or digest it

• traciemitchum_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Ok, so i have the quantity for treating my foster dog for heartworms but i want to treat fleas as well. I read on another page that it would be a twice a month treatment orally but that page gave me (i think) .15 or .015 mg. well, the 1% solution that i bought for cattle and swine are in ml. what do i give the dog for flea treatments and how often? i read halfway down the forum but haven't seen the lastest posts so sorry if overlapping.

• bpe3812_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am a licensed veterinary technician and I have to warn anyone who comes across this forum (it is the top google hit) that most of the dosages recommended on here are extremely high - possibly fatal doses. The actual doseage for ivermectin in dogs is much, much lower. We're talking 0.0068 for a 25 pound dog - that's less than the first very first line on a 1 ml syringe! More than that is contained in the hub of the needle! Here is a breakdown:

68 mcg is recommended for 25 pound dogs (this is the heartgard dosage of 2.72 mcg/pound [that's micrograms NOT miligrams])

1000 mcg = 1 mg

Ivomec is a 1% solution meaning 10mg per ml - so each 0.1 (tenth of an ml) is 1 mg (1000 mcg).

half of a tenth - 0.05 is 500 mcg

BUT YOU HAVE TO GO EVEN LOWER THAN THIS TO GET INTO THE 100 POUND DOG RANGE

A 100 pound dog would only get 0.025 (half of half a tenth)

Do not trust any dosages on this site. Consult your veterinarian - do not trust the hearsay of people who say they got their dosages from a vet.

• chathamjj_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

DO NOT BECOME ALARMED BY THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE

According to the Veterinary Drug Handbook by Donald C. Plumb the following are the dosages (perhaps the previous vet tech needs to get out his drug handbook too).

Donald C. Plumb, Pharm.D. (author of this material): Hospital Director of Veterinary Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota.

Dogs: (as a preventative for heartworm)
    a. 0.006 mg/kg PO once monthly
    b. source: Package insert: Heartgard
    minimum dosage of 6 micrograms/kg (0.006 mg/kg) PO per month. Three tablet sizes are available: dogs up to 25 lbs (68 micrograms); 26-50 lbs (136 micrograms); and 51-100 lbs (272 micrograms).

Dogs: as an ectoparasiticide
    a. for treatment of Sarcoptes scabiei or Otodectes cynotis infestations: 300 micrograms/kg (0.3 mg/kg) SQ or PO; repeat in 14 days.

As you can see BIG DIFFERENCES if you are treating for mange.

SQ= subcutaneous = YOU ARE ABLE TO GIVE IT AS AN INJECTION
    PO= ORALLY

There is also differences in dosages when using as a microfilaricide but everyone in this thread is using it either for mange or heartworm preventative.

OVERDOSAGE/ACUTE TOXICITY:

Dogs: "In dogs, symptoms of acute toxicity rarely occur at single dosages of 2 mg/kg (2000 micrograms/kg). At 2.5 mg/kg mydriasis occurs, and at 5 mg/kg tremors occur. At doses of 10 mg/kg, severe tremors and ataxia are seen. Deaths occurred when dosages exceeded 40 mg/kg."

So let's go through the levels again:

0.006 mg/kg as heartworm preventative
    0.3 mg/kg as treatment for mange

2 mg/kg (2000 micrograms)= rare level of acute toxicity
    5 mg/kg = tremors
    10 mg/kg = severe tremors
    40 mg/kg = deaths occur although LETHAL dose is 80 mg/kg

Hope this answers any questions.

I believe that most problems with animals can be safely, effectively, & inexpensively treated at home. Veterinarians serve a purpose but it should be to do the things that we, as intelligent people, cannot do. And this is something that NO ONE should be spending $100's-$1000 to manage!

• sopricon_aol_com
    12 years ago

The easiest way to give this is to buy a tube of Equimax horse wormer and the tube has a movable blue marker that you can put on one click or how many clicks you want very easily.
    For beagles that weigh between 20-35 lbs, I give one click each month mosquitoes are out. It has Ivomectin 1.87% and also
    proziquantel 14.03%.
    It gets ALL worms, stops fleas and ticks from sticking.
    Cost about $13.00 for 12 clicks.
    There is a cheaper one that is only Ivormectin but I pay the extra and get all worms, even heart worms.
    I've used it for years on many beagles with no problem.
    I feed my dogs pieces of bread weekly and put it on a 1/4 piece, fold it over on itself and they catch it in the air and swallow without tasting. Throw a piece or two before to get them competing.
    Hope this helps!
    John

• vsipes4
    7 years ago

I used only 1/2 cc for 60lb 1/2 pit &1/2 retriever. Put in small bit of his wet food and he scarfed it down, beause id have the next bite waiting. He didnt have any problems with it. I did not inject it!!

• Adry
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wouldn't feel comfortable using this drug, especially for smaller dogs. There are to many risks for complications and overdose. At the vet's office where I worked for, we had several cases of toxicity

Here is some information to be aware of: .Dangers of Giving Ivomec to dogs

• Pyewacket
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I reiterate, DO NOT GIVE ANY VERSION OF IVERMECTIN TO DOGS THAT IS NOT 100% PURE IVERMECTIN! NONE of the pastes or other concoctions are safe for dogs, whatever that guy thinks he is giving his beagles, it is not safe.

Also ignore the vet tech. He/she is correct about the proper dosages of STRAIGHT 1% Ivermectin but ignores the dilution recommendations I made. I DO NOT ADVISE FOLLOWING ANY OTHER DILUTION RECOMMENDATIONS, many of them are WAY too high and those dog owners are way too cavalier about what is actually safe. Vets make a ton of money off selling Heartguard. I'm in NV now and there is NO heartworm vector here, its a desert, there are NO mosquitos to carry it. Yet local vets use scare tactics to sell Heartguard nonetheless. I sat in a vet's office recently and listened to the RECEPTIONIST giving the hard sell on the Heartguard to some poor woman on the phone. Then the "licensed vet tech" also tried to give me the hard sell in the exam room. I cut her off. There is virtually no heartworm in this state unless the dog comes in from another area already infected. Makes me mad ... LOL!

You use the injectable ivermectin to make this up BUT YOU DO NOT INJECT IT INTO YOUR DOG!!! I said this before years ago but apparently some people cannot read. Or do not understand what they read. DO NOT INJECT OR EVEN THINK ABOUT INJECTING IVERMECTIN DILUTED WITH PROPYLENE GLYCOL. I would be surprised if that didn't kill your dog.

This is not the dosage for cats, I don't know what that dosage would be. Look it up and do the math.

DO NOT GIVE THIS TO A HEARTWORM POSITIVE DOG. Allow your vet to treat your dog for the heartworm infestation. Yes, this can shorten the life of the adult heartworms but the problem is that as they die they break up and can cause heart attack and other problems. LET YOUR VET TREAT A HEARTWORM POSITIVE DOG and THEN use this as a preventative.

Finally I NO longer mix my own. I buy it from these guys already mixed. If you have VERY small dogs you can dilute it further to make it easier to dose your small dogs. It is WAY more cost effective for me to buy it premixed as I cannot possibly use it all on the just one dog I would have if I still had a dog now (an adopted beagle died 2/24/2018 after I'd had her for less than 6 months due to cancer, stupid adoption place ignored her health problems and lied to me about them).

http://www.heartwormprevention.com/

The idea that this does anything at all for ticks and fleas is nonsense. It does not. Because SCIENCE. Not your imagination.

• Barbara Ann
    5 years ago

Zensojourner... I am gonna ask you because you seem to be much more certain then other posters on here... Tell me if I am correct please... I have a heart worm negative 180 pound mastiff... that calculates to 0.48... with a 1% vermectin bottle...I take 1ml and dilute it to 10ml... I would then orally give my boy 0.5ml of the solution... sorry to bother you... there are so many differing opinions here...

• Brad Besse
    5 years ago

Barbara, yes that is correct. Since you are targeting 2.72 mcg/lb, you need to dose him with 489.6 mcg per month. Since you have made a solution of 10,000 mcg per 10 ml, you now have a solution that is 1,000 mcg per ml. So, giving him half of one ml will give him 500 mcg. That's about spot on.

• Barbara Ann
    5 years ago

Thank you lol... I was pretty certain it was correct but I have typical math anxiety...lol... I really appreciate your time... have a great weekend...

• Pyewacket
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@Barbara Ann I am old and decrepit now and no longer trust myself to do the math. Hence I buy the stuff premixed. I checked their math (several times to be sure) and they are Doin' It Right.

Once in awhile a friend will send me a link to someone's web page where they have lifted wholesale my calculations and explanations from this or one of 2 or three other posts across the interwebz from 20+ years ago when I first did the math, LOL!

That's ok. At least when they copy and paste my calculations onto their blog, I know the calculations are right, LOL!

• Bob Wilfong
    5 years ago

I wonder how many dogs @vickieandthegang has killed with her post! The dosage is not 1 cc per 10 lbs!! That's 10x overdose Typical know it all vet tech! First of all you need to know the different types of ivermectin. The correct dosage is 1/10 cc per 10 lbs ivermectin injectable. Draw it up in a syringe and squirt in their mouth.

• Stephanie Riedmueller
    4 years ago

I have a 65# dog with mange. I’ve treated with 1% ivermectin at 1.4ml before orally and it has always came back With no side effects at all. Can someone tell me how much injected or orally to totally eradicate them completely?

• HU-377911129
    4 years ago

I have been taking my 8 year old, 8.5lb dog shih Tzu mix that has always lived indoors since she was a puppy to VCA for years and they always said she has allergies prescribe her amoxicillin & suggest giving her a Benadryl shot to relieve the itching but the itching, scratching, biting, flaky, dry, crusty stinky skin still persists. Her diet has changed from processed foods to raw to alkaline.. She has a constant ear shake(ear mites?)Her skin is now so hard and rough(poor thing) She only sleeps through the night if smothered in nu stock. I can not see with the naked eye or a magnifying glass any fleas, mites or ticks but when I bathe her I can see so many colonies of something down the center of her neck and back. I bathe her daily and either follow with a green alcohol rinse & baby oil concoction, borax & peroxide rinses, or nu stock ointment & a few drops every other day of mineral oil in her ears & nothing is really helping her. I was told to give her a pea size of ivermectin 1.87% paste buy a guy a tractor supply & told by a guy a the animal feed store to give her 0.5ml of ivermectin 1% solution once monthly.. she doesn't play as much as she did as a pup but her appetite is still there...

My question is, is 0.5ml the correct dosage to treat sarcoptic mange? And how much & how often should she take it?

• HU-266608452
    4 years ago

Stephanie Riedmueller: That's a whopper of a dose. I use only 1 cc for my hundred-pound farm dogs. But they don't have mange, and I'm wondering if you know what kind of mange your dog has. The treatment for one is ivermectin, but the treatment for the other is sulfur, so it is counterproductive to use ivermectin on one type.

I'm not in love with veterinarians, but I do think you need to have a vet look at your dog to determine the type of mange. If the dog isn't responding to a dose of the size you are administering, I'd be inclined to think that the dog has demodectic mange, which responds to sulfur. If you have access to sulfurous water, bathe the dog in it and add sulfur to the lather. Give the dog MSM (food-grade sulfur) by mouth, and if s/he has been shaved, slather on a product called NuStock (it's wondrous, made by a tiny company in rural Tennessee; it is strongly sulfurous and also has Pine oil in it.)

If you are hoping to avoid a vet bill, just try this protocol independently. Ir definitely won't hurt the dog. If it doesn't work, don't throw these products out. I once had a horrible, itchy skin rash as a result of lead poisoning (the cause was discovered afterward). MSM and sulfur creams gave me huge relief. Turns out, most diets are sulfur-deficient anyway (there is no RDA), and all of us should likely be supplementing with MSM anyway.

• jacksgirl1209
    4 years ago

NuStock is fabulous on hotspots too and places where the hair is gone from the poor dog scratching at fleas

• Tony Adams
    4 years ago

I am a 62yr old who has been hunting with dogs all my life. We are trying to prevent heartworms here...correct...??? For the past 37yrs I have been using a bottle of heart worm prevention I get for $25.00 but I usually buy 5 bottles for $100.00. I get it from this place JR Enterprises at www.heartwormprevention.com The company is in Louisiana where there is no shortage of mosquitos. One of my male dogs who did not have heartworms brought a female hound home. I was unable to find the owner so I kept her. This female was infested with heartworms. She had a dry and ugly coat. I administered the heartworm preventative at 1/4cc per 20lb of body weight. The female weighed 80lbs so I gave her 1cc the 1st of every month. Within 3 months her coat began to shine and look good. After 6 months I had her tested for heartworms at the vet and I was astonished after finding out...NO TRACE OF HEARTWORMS WHATSOEVER. ..They were completely eradicated. This was 14yrs ago. I still have this hound today and she is going strong. I can vouch for this heartworm preventative. I use it on all my dogs and they are heartworm free.

• HU-107838434
    4 years ago

Ms_Samm_yahoo_com ......I just have one question....do you dilute the ivomec or do you give it straight?

• Pyewacket
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

YOU DO NOT GIVE IVOMEC EVER. You give diluted Ivermectin. I posted the formula in several places on these forums and it has been widely copied all over the internet. However I am old now and I too buy my PREDILUTED ivermectin from JR Enterprises. They do the diluting for you.

• mariatgillette
    3 years ago

How much of the Ivermectin do I give an 85-pound lab and how often

• I Dont Care Leave Me Alone
    3 years ago

I have not heard of diluting before giving and have always just squirted

it on bread and they gobble it up.

• Tony Adams
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Go to to www.heartwormprevention.com. 1 bottle is $25.00 predilutted. 1CC per 20lbs of bodyweight.

Works wonders. CC and ML are the same. Will get rid of existing heartworms when used religiously like I have been doing for many years.

• HU-193453101
    3 years ago

Can someone please help me?? I have a dog I took in and I'm sure it has mange.it has lost hair going all down it's back and tail and digs constantly and a couple weeks later I have 3 cats with the same problems.I have lost two kittens do to this.I have took them to the vet for skin scrapes and it came back negative in which I know that's not right.My cats were fine until they got around the dog.I have been using lime sulpher weekly on them.Revolution monthly but it's not going away.I have been working daily on these animals.The cats have stuff all around their mouth and eyes now and no hair on their tails.I am wanting to try ivermectin and bought 1% injectable to give orally but need to know how much how often??

• Michelle Engel
    3 years ago

I'm a little late, but just saw your message. In case nobody told you.... In order to treat roundworms and hookworms with ivomec or ivermectin, you have to give them a second dose two weeks after the first.

• Jackie Thurston
    3 years ago

I want to give my 80 lb Boxer the Ivermectrin paste instead of the injectable. What would the exact dose be? Me email is

jthurston2354@yahoo.com

If someone could PLEASE let me know it would be greatly appreciated!!!!! It is usually 1cc per 10 lbs of body weight but I'm not sure about treating for heartworms!

• HU-826681124
    9 months ago

If I have a 40lb lab and I mix 1cc of Ivermectin to 9cc of distilled water, how many cc's of the solution do I give him montly for heartwear prevention?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm