Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gennym_gw

How long does it take for a goat to grow up?

GennyM
17 years ago

Hey.

Reese is 5 months old now. When we got him he was about 10 pounds, but we've had him a couple months and he has only gained about 15 pounds. So, he's about 25-30 pounds. How long does it take for a goat to get as big as it will get?? My grandpa's friend has pygmy goats and his goats are huge! They look like they weigh atleast 50 pounds. I wondered how long it takes goats to grow up??? thanks--Genny

Comments (18)

• snycal
    17 years ago

First what are you feeding this little goat? Next the last growth spirt should be around two years old. You basically know how big your goat will be by one yr. but there is a small amount of growth at Two. You can bring a fecal sample to the vet and see if it has worms. This can stunt your goats growth, if not addressed. Also, large amounts of lice can stunt growth. Good luck

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He gets hay, sweet feed, chips, bottles, cookies, bread, and I've got him on goat wormer so he shouldn't have any worms. He also has just started eating some of our plants. I am pretty sure he doesn't have lice. If he did, I'm pretty sure I would have them by now, too. LOL!

• shellybabe
    17 years ago

well, my nubian goats reach full grown by year two at the latest, my boer's are full grown at one,
    to make sure about the lice you can dust him down with seven dust 5%, and I dusted the goats sleeping area to make sure they got covered.
    Is Reese a pigmy goat??
    I am not very familiar with those, only nubian, boer, and oberhasli mixes are what I have. Although I really think the little pigmy's are soooo cute.

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

Your goat may have stunted growth as a result of his early nutrition. Right now, he only needs hay and water, free choice. No "chips, bottles, cookies, bread." Starchy foods especially will interfere with his getting the nutrition he needs out of the type of food that goats naturally eat; leaves-grass, shrubs and trees.

He may never grow to the extent his genetics would predict. As a pet, this may be desireable.

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is 25 pounds too small for a 5 month old pygmy goat?

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shellybabe, Reese is a pygmy!

I'll stop giving him sweet cookies, Snycal!
    Thanks!

• snycal
    17 years ago

How did you weigh Reese? There are really small Pygmy breeders out here that love the tiny ones which they specifically breed for. There are a lot of bad stories when trying to deliver kids from these small Pygmys. They are totally healthy and just plain small due to genetics. Where did you get Reese, from a breeder? Sorry if you told us before I just forget things. Did you get to see mom and dad? I have a teeny tiny pygmy buck that is seven months old. I can email you picks off line if your interested. Let me know.

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Snycal, my brother's girlfriend's cousin had Reese and they could no longer care for him and I had always wanted a goat, so they sold him to me for $20. So, that's how I got him. The girl we got him from said she saw his parents and that they weren't real big. I carried him to the vet when I first got him and they said he was 10 pounds. He hasn't been to the vet since, but I just think he probably weighs about 25 pounds, because he doesn't feel as heavy as my neice and she is about 35 pounds. He feels a little less heavy than her, so I'm only guessing he is about 25 pounds.
    I would love to see pictures of your goat. I tried yesterday to post my newest picture of Reese, but when I tried using the tinypic.com web-site it wouldn't work for me?..

Genny

• snycal
    17 years ago

Gennym, sorry I didn't read this sooner or I would have taken some pictures. Yes I'll have to email you private because I don't know how to post pictures. He is really small and totally healthy. The breeder who I bought him from actually sells her goats for about 600.00 to zoos around the U.S. They are freakishly small. I did ask her for one of her "normal" sized goats and she showed me the parents of the one I bought. He is still not normal, but I know he is healthy and his genetics played a big part in his size. I'll try to contact you later via this forum personal email so you don't need to post it. If it doesn't work I'll write again so I can send a picture.

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, well let me know if you need my e-mail address to do it--

• snycal
    17 years ago

did you get the email?

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think so--try sending it again and I'll look for it.

• snycal
    17 years ago

genny, go to your "my Page" send yourself a message and look at the email your posting to, make sure its current. Lisa

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, I did that, but I'm not sure what to look for? Are you trying to send me an e-mail to my e-mai address or a message thru this forum? Thanks, Genny

• GennyM
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh yeah, that is my current e-mail address!

• snycal
    17 years ago

I sent you an email, with no response, I also sent one to me and it went through fine. Please email me.... I have talked with another woman who has a three year old doe that is 20 pounds. She is also willing to send you pictures. Its not the norm but it happens. Lisa

• cheribelle
    17 years ago

My pygmy nanny wieghs about 20 lbs in the morning, and after pigging out all day weighs closer to 30! Looks like a whole different goat! She is small and dainty looking though. She's a year old last April, just had her 1st baby.