Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

Do chickens eat millipedes?

acer
11 years ago

We're having a millipede population explosion here, and they're driving me crazy. The bugs don't sting or carry disease, they're just EVERYWHERE this year, even getting into the house. I think last season's mild winter was part of the problem. The milliepeds have a strong odor which I believe may be partly due to simple cyanide or some other nasty part of their makeup. Will chickens help solve the problem?

Comments (4)

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

Chickens eat anything that moves,we were cleaning out chicken house once.saw a hen running ,here she caught a mouse yep ate it..

• mersiepoo
    11 years ago

If you can keep the building dehumidified that will help keep them away. We have them too sometimes, they stink! Now of course we have asian stinkbugs too, I would rather have the millipedes again.

Not sure if chickens will eat them, but they love to eat anything smaller than them, I just saw my one rooster eating a mole- good riddance!

• Charlie
    11 years ago

Chickens do eat anything. Certain things can kill a chicken when eaten, for example a maggot. Gives the chicken a syndrome referred to as "limp neck" and they eventually die.

• Krt1
    11 years ago

yes chickens will eat anything. if they were six feet tall we ( humans) would not be here. some people use fowl in their yards particularly ginny's to eradicate ticks and other bugs. i don,t know but can believe the maggot story as they are sterile because of an acid they are covered with

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH