Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Grove in former pond site?

Posted by blueberrier1 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 15:08

Last year's drought resulted in the demise of our pond (about 100'x100'.) According to previous owners, pond had never dried completely. This is limestone territory at the top of a ridge....depression surrounded by limestone that could be extracted to make stone fences. No sign of a feeder spring. In fact, we have often thought this site could have been the source for the former stone (road) fence.

Plan to locate some source of clean fill dirt to line the lower 2' depth (total depth is 6'), and thought it would make a fine site for a bamboo grove.

Has anyone tried this sort of conversion? Pros? Cons?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Grove in former pond site?

You have to be really careful with bamboo, it can REALLY take over and run off. We were visiting in Virginia, saw where the bamboo had gone wild on the sides of the railroad tracks. VERY strange feeling walking under that stuff, which contained many sizes of bamboo. It was between a historic site and parking area. It literally towered over everything around. Did not allow any other undergrowth or trees in the growing area. Weird look to it as well, when the stuff is over 40ft tall. Sure made me RECONSIDER AGAINST using ANY bamboo at my place.

Most bamboos are not bothered by cold or freezing, happens in their native settings. So that natural control won't work with this plant.

Bamboo is considered extremely invasive, really hard to regain control once it starts spreading. Not sure if your limestone basin would prevent spreading, plants can be very determined.

I would look at some other options for a damp site, using native plants. Willows might like the location, use the extra water. Or go for cattails, for a bog type area. Local native plants provide food for the local birds and animals. Not sure any native wildlife will use bamboo for food, help you control it.

You might get more detailed information on some of the garden sites, like Perennials, Shrubs, Landscaping, about bamboo problems.

o
RE: Bamboo Grove in former pond site?

I think you should try the Bamboo forum Some bamboo is very suceptible to freezing, some is not, some types are big and aggressive, some grow to 12" tall and some stay in small clumps and do not spread over an area more than 8'X8' .

The biggest problem I can see is that the pond might refill and your bamboo is unlikely to do well under 4' of water for an extended period of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here