Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirldiana1

How to introduce chickens

dirtgirldiana1
14 years ago

A couple months back I noticed one of my chickens unable to use one of her legs. The poor thing fell over trying to run with the other hens. A few of them picked on her. I thought she broke her hip. I knew she wouldn't survive if I left her with the others. DH turned my GK's fort into a recovery pen for her. Now two months later she is healed and can walk fine. She's still little compared to the other ones.

I put her in the run with the others. I thought since they're a little over three months old they might accept her back...Wrong. One pecked her on the head and then it was on. A couple started to run at her like they were slam dancing. I snatched her up and put her back in her cage.

I know I have to re-introduce her back into the flock. I was going to put her in a little dog cage in their run so they could see her everyday. How long should I do this? Will they really accept her back?

It tore me appart watching her try to walk and constantly falling. I tried the popsicle stick on her leg. I thought about taking her to the vet...DH suggested we eat her

(((SMACK UPSIDE HIS HEAD)))

Now that she's recovered I don't want to get her killed.

Has anyone had luck re-introducing chickens?

Thanks,

Diana

Comments (2)