Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to introduce chickens

Posted by dirtgirldiana1 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 15:13

A couple months back I noticed one of my chickens unable to use one of her legs. The poor thing fell over trying to run with the other hens. A few of them picked on her. I thought she broke her hip. I knew she wouldn't survive if I left her with the others. DH turned my GK's fort into a recovery pen for her. Now two months later she is healed and can walk fine. She's still little compared to the other ones.
I put her in the run with the others. I thought since they're a little over three months old they might accept her back...Wrong. One pecked her on the head and then it was on. A couple started to run at her like they were slam dancing. I snatched her up and put her back in her cage.
I know I have to re-introduce her back into the flock. I was going to put her in a little dog cage in their run so they could see her everyday. How long should I do this? Will they really accept her back?
It tore me appart watching her try to walk and constantly falling. I tried the popsicle stick on her leg. I thought about taking her to the vet...DH suggested we eat her
(((SMACK UPSIDE HIS HEAD)))
Now that she's recovered I don't want to get her killed.
Has anyone had luck re-introducing chickens?

Thanks,
Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to introduce chickens

I have had some success by taking another hen out and pairing them up.Let them get used to each other and then put them both back with the flock at the same time. Put them in at night when they are all fast asleep. They are less noticable then and by doing this you are splitting up the picking between two new ladies instead of just one. I hope this helps. When/if you do this I would still caution you to keep an eye on them.

o
RE: How to introduce chickens

This happens all the time when birds have been separated. I've got a technique I call 'Meet & Greets' that I use to introduce new birds or reintroduce injured/sick flock members that have been isolated to heal, it works for me:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

Expect SOME pecking and posturing from the other hens at first, they have a point to prove and you can stop all of it. After a while though, she should regain her former position in the pecking order and all will be well again. Starting off with her in a cage where they can see her is a great start, though. :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here