Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

8 acres. Best mowing options?

siegel2
12 years ago

Until I get my sheep, what kind and size of mower should I get?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

Can you borrow a herd of goats until you get your sheep?!

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

My hubby bought a big tractor for feilds ,meadow,but for everything else we like the biggest lawn tractor simplity haswe also have a simplicity zero turn we really like.lawn tractor..

• luke_oh
    12 years ago

If you don't have a smooth lawn don't even think of a ZTR. My property was pasture and not landscaped and smoothed out. I paid 8000.00 for a good ZTR and will probably need back surgery or a kidney transplant. No joke, I'd much rather mow with my old tractor and a 3 point finish mower. At least try out a ZTR if you are considering one.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I laughed out loud at Luke's comments about back surgeries and kidney transplants. I think he hit the nail on the head.

Are you new to this property and/or mini farming or been at it awhile? Many manufacturers will give you data to size the tractor you're going to need for your purposes. Why I'm saying this is that a tractor you need for that purpose might cost a lot more than something you'd use 'temporarily' until you can get a herd of animals to graze and if that is the case, you want to be sure you get one to satisfy all the needs of your small holding and be versatile for many functions. Let's put it this way.......we have a smallholding too and we spent more on our last tractor than the new car I just bought. But we use it for more than just whacking grass.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Ztmowers arent made for rough surfaces even I know that..By the way I just got on list for kidney transplant,had nothing to do with mower...

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

Cagaray, did you buy a tractor yet?

Md. Officials Hire Goats to Clear Weeds on Highway

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) -- Munch, munch. That's the job description for some new groundskeepers in Maryland.

Officials from The Villages of Urbana have hired goats to clear weeds along the Sugarloaf Parkway. The herd of about 30 goats should do the job in about two weeks.....

A link that might be useful:
    www.13wmaz.com/news/watercooler/article/140213/155/Md-Officials-Hire-Goats-to-Clear-Weeds-on-Highway

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida