Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Either I suck, or my Hova Bator does....

Posted by mersiepoo 6a Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 16:41

Geez, is it me or what? A few years ago I got a brand new Hova Bator incubator. I had about 50 guinea eggs in it, only 14 hatched. This year, I've tried 2 times to hatch guinea eggs, and nothing! I had monitored the temperature at least 4 times a day, rotated the eggs a minimum of 3 to 5 times a day, and got Nothing! I had made sure to disinfect the HB before I used it, and used fairly clean eggs too. I'm so bummed out, I didn't get a single bird to hatch. I'm probably going to get rid of it. I made sure to keep the temperature at 102 degrees for a still air (guinea eggs are supposed to be that high for a still air). Has anyone also had bad luck with theirs, or is it just me? I think that HB doesn't like me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Either I suck, or my Hova Bator does....

Mersiepoo, I found with my HB especially with guinea eggs, my best hatch came when I had higher humidity than they recommended. I found when I filled both reservoirs with water and kept them that way throughout the incubation the hatch vastly improved. I think they recommend filling one reservoir until the last week or so and then filling both. I had some pretty dismal hatches until I raised the humidity level during the entire incubation. Just my opinion.

Bonnie

o

Hi Bonnie!
That is a great idea...I think I will try it! I still have some guinea eggs around here. I didn't fill up the water reservoir that much, but I'll disinfect it and try it again, third times the charm, right? :D

Thanks for letting me know how you do it! I'll report back in about a month and let ya know what happened. :D Thanks again!

~ mersie poo :D

o

also are you sure the eggs are fertilized?

o

I've had miserable hatches with my Little Giant/Miller still air incubator as well, even after I went out and bought a NEW one (the only brand available at the feed store)! But I got an improvement in my hatch rate by investing in a digital probe thermometer, a good hygrometer and a Water Weasel, as suggested by my friend Alan (a Silkie breeder who knows his stuff), here, in his article 'Incubator-How To Control It'--you'll have to go to his site and navigate using the sidebar on the left:

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

Also read 'Incubator Tips' on the same site. I got 13 of 50 eggs to hatch using this method, as opposed to 3 out of 47 the time before. Still a miserable hatch rate, but IMPROVED. If his info would be the same for Guinea eggs, I don't know.

I'm really starting to think that time of year has a lot to do with it, I've had a better hatch rate in the Spring than I do in Summer. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that chickens are kind of genetically pre-programmed to hatch better in the Spring, when food is more abundant...?

Next year will tell, when I set some eggs to hatch in Spring! :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here