Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

How can you tell when your sweet corn is ready to harvest?

mersiepoo
12 years ago

Any tips to know when it's peak time to harvest? We're growing 'country gentlemen', and it's got beautiful rosy red silks. I opened up an ear a little that was sort of bent more horizontally, but it didn't look as if the top kernels were 100 percent filled out. Do you have to open an ear of corn to know, or do they communicate with you telepathically? ;)

Comments (9)

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I was always told when silk at the top is brown,or open one if kernels are plump.

• lily51
    12 years ago

My husband's family always sold sweet corn, so they all can just zip through the field, feel the ears in the husks, and tell for sure if it's ripe or not. I usually have to peek. The kernels should be filled out to the end.
    I like corn when it is young and more tender, some people like it more mature. Just don't let it go too far or it will get "tough" and starchy. Probably trial and error works best.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

we also do this pull the husk back where you can see some kernels,prick the corn with your nail if its still creamy its ok otherwise its pass eating.

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

Its sweeter in late afternoon like 7 pm test bit into ear taste milk you know right day pick. Cut each end ear off with meat clever on board leave shuck on and freeze in bag it last 2 years in freezer with shuck on loose none fresh flavor. The bag can be paper sack open top or folded over.

• calliope
    12 years ago

"1 or 2 days after the racoons get it. "

I burst out laughing when I read this as I had those exact words on my lips (at the tip of my typing fingers) and that is a very accurate way to tell. The racoons just found my garden this week and the destruction has begun. Last year my husband had complained because I was picking the ears just a tad on the immature side and that is why. They also can tell you when a peach or persimmon crop is nearly ready. I find broken tree branches when the fruit is nearly ripeness where they'd been up sampling like a taster of fine wines.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've heard that interplanting corn with pumpkins or some sort of vining crop can keep the varmints away, not sure if it works but it doesn't stop digging cats.

Found out that yes, it's when the silks turn brown. Nice to know at least the seeds aren't GMO's, they aren't as sweet as the modified hybrids, but they have a nice 'real corn' taste.

• calliope
    12 years ago

No...........interplanting vining crops does not help. Been there and done that. The groundhogs are busy nipping holes in the pumpkins and muskmelons when the racoons are up the stalks, or bringing them down to ground level. Once when out by the back forty around sunset, I wished so I had a camera with me. There ahead of me about thirty feet were a racoon and immediately to its side a groundhog not two feet away walking off into the sunset toward the field behind me.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've used a 4 foot fence and this year tried one of those ultrasonic/supersonic devices, it seems to keep the deer and varmints away (except for moles, which we now have!! Aarrrrgh!!). Though it does not keep crows away, I had to string fishing line up to keep them out. It seems to work, but the animals will not stay away 100 percent if they are out of the perimeter of the device, it seems to have a 15 foot long range (sideways), and it triggers about 30 feet away.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES