Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johanna_h_gw

Two new roosters

johanna_h
15 years ago

I was delighted this afternoon to receive a call from a friend. Out of 20 chicks she got this spring, 4 are roosters. Would I take one?

I currently have 14 hens and one rooster. He fathered the one chick who successfully hatched under my broodies last fall, but this summer three hens have spent weeks upon weeks setting with not a single egg even beginning to develop! So I was definitely in the market for a new rooster who might get the job done.

Well, when I got to her house with my cat carrier, she decided I should just take the two Easter-egger boys. I didn't really want two new roosters, but somehow I got caught up in the excitement of isolating and catching them and now I have two new roosters in a dog kennel in the barn.

The minute I brought them into the barn (not in the chickens' stall, mind you) the chatter began between Egglebert and the new guys. He's two years old, the new guys are about 4 months.

Have I made a terrible mistake? My plan is to keep them in the dog kennel for a couple of days outside the chickens' pen, then move the kennel into the pen, and eventually open the door so they can mix in. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--Johanna

Comments (9)

• flowersnhens
    15 years ago

Egglebert??? LOL. That is funny. I had a rooster that I named Eggbert a few years ago. Sadly he turned mean and we had to do away with him. He was a gigantic RIR rooster. Nice looking rooster, but way too mean.

• allaroundgoatgirl
    15 years ago

Since the new boys are only 4 months, it might be hard for Egglebert ( :)great name by the way) to accept them. I would definitely keep them in the kennel for a few days, even a couple weeks, as long as they have enough room to flap and move around a bit.

if they dont, maybe put up a makeshift run for them so they are in the yard with the chickens, and your older rooster can still see them, but they are protected.

at some point you'll have to introduce them, and Egglebert will most likely not be happy about it. you'll just have to see what happens. some boys are more aggressive than others, and they may fight a lot to establish some order. just watch and make sure its not getting way out of hand (if its getting bloody, distasterous, you know). if it is, its probably not a good idea to have them together...

hope it works out!!!

• johanna_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll tell you, I've started to look around for a home for one of the new roosters. I just don't think it's going to be good. The two new guys have established an order in their cage, and the top one is pretty aggressive. No bloodshed (as yet), but he's making his point. I don't think I want to see three of them fighting.

Anyone near southwest Michigan want a lovely, young rooster?!

--Johanna

• barefootfarmah
    15 years ago

That might be a good idea. If you can't find a taker, maybe put him somewhere safe for a few weeks until he's big enough for a chicken dinner? :)

• flowersnhens
    15 years ago

Can you let them free range outside?? That always helps too. Not being confined together in a small space would of course make it easier for them to get away from one another if need be.

• johanna_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The two new boys were in too tight of quarters in the dog crate, and one was clearly picking on the other, so this morning I decided that I was keeping the more submissive one (partly because I knew I could pick him up!). My intention was to put him in a different dog crate within the chickens' pen for a few days, but he had other ideas and jumped out into the midst of all the other chickens. What a scene.

My chicken pen in the barn has two "rooms", so at present Egglebert has his hens in a corner of the larger room, and Tweedledum is in the smaller room. The cackling is astounding. I had to bring my younger dog into the house because she kept barking "just let me in there!"

I think that they will work this out in not too long of a time. Now I have to find a home for the other young rooster. Or someone who will take him off my hands (I don't eat chicken).

--Johanna

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Do you have a blender, can you drink chicken?

• flowersnhens
    15 years ago

LOL...hahahahaha. THAT is funny !!..but gross too...lol

• johanna_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hooray! I've found a home for Tweedledee through a friend and I'll deliver him tomorrow (Sunday).

Tweedledum is in with the rest of the flock, though they haven't mixed yet. He's not being constantly harassed, though, and I know it will work out with time.

It's all gone well.

--Johanna

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting