Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peacock-visitor or here for good

Posted by dighappy z7 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 19:18

I own 3.5 acres in NJ pinelands and have horses and chickens (never bought a chicken, they just wandered from the neighbors and stayed). Saturday a peacock showed up and has been here ever since. My chickens are free range and the peacock has been roosting with them in the trees. He has been eating bugs and scraps that I throw to the chickens along with some horse feed that is a treat for the chickens when I feed the horses. Do peacocks need any special feed or can he fend for himself during the summer months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peacock-visitor or here for good

Probably someone couldn't stand his screaming any longer and took him "out to the country to live on a farm" like they do with unwanted cats.

If he has found a place with suitable food and lodging, he will most likely stay.

o

Well he seems fond of raiding the cat's dishes. Loves the dry cat food....pretty much the same as the chickens. He really doesn't make much noise yet, maybe when he gets more comfortable. He is definitely leery of me and doesn't let me get too close.

o

I love peacocks and would love one but hubby is afraid neighbors would raise a big stink.
I don't think they are any noisier than the small Fight school planes that slowly fly over my prpoperty every 5 minutes,some days it is 2 and a half.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here