Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hen with chicks is sitting on another broody hen's nest?

Posted by riaketty (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 19:23

Hiya.

We have 3 broody hens/nests within 3 feet of each other. Lucky us, right? Well, each nest is about a week apart in hatching time. The first nest hatched yesterday and mama hen started taking the babies out today. I cleaned up the bad eggs out of her nest.

Well, I came in tonight to see her -- and her chicks -- sitting on another broody's nest. The other hen is going frantic because she 'lost' her nest... tearing up the straw, wandering around clucking, etc. What should I do? If I move the first hen, the 2nd will probably sit on her eggs again, but will this keep happening? Should I have left the bad eggs in there? I've removed them from similar situations and it didn't seem to matter to the hen...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hen with chicks is sitting on another broody hen's nest?

Yikes! You have one upset little Mama! I would move little mamas nest/eggs to a secluded area so that she can have them back and finish hatching her babies. You should always clean up any eggs that don't hatch-you do not want to have a problem with pests and possible disease from left over eggs. I would also move the other nest/eggs to another secluded spot also so that everybody will be happy-out of site out of mind sorta thing-new mama will take care of her babies and forget about the other nesters'.

I have had that happen and have always just moved them and then everybody was happy--however, I don't think I will let that many set on eggs again :) I had one girl that just kept on taking the other girls nest/eggs even though she had her own babies---she would see the eggs and holler yippee,yippee more eggs!! :) So now I will only let one have eggs at a time!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here