Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicks moved into new home finally!

Posted by terryboc z5 NH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 21:09

The project took much longer than I had planned but finally the chicks are out in their new home. We still have a few things to finish, like perches, nest boxes, entrance ramp and some outside paint, etc...but everyone got carried out there yesterday. It took awhile for them to come out into the run, then I had to carry each one back into the coop when it got dark. Today they would dash in there when loud noises scared them, and they are were inside when it got dark, so I just had to close the door and window. I think they are a little frightened of the dark since they all were clustered under the window, but I'm hoping they get acclimated soon, since there is no power out there yet (soon to come). I want lights and heated water this winter.
I've put some pics on my webshots page. I'll post a few more once I clear out some room in my camera.
Cheers,
Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: Coop pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicks moved into new home finally!

BRAVO Terry, your dh you did a great job! it looks terrific :)

Your birds look so happy in their new home, I'm sure it won't take long for them to get comfortable. It must be such a good feeling to have them out in such a nice place. I love your EE'ers, they look so pretty! I look forward to seeing more pictures of them :)

-Sheila

o

Thanks Sheila-it turned into quite a project. I'll be glad when it is completely done. I'd like to put some top soil in the run-it is quite rocky. I don't think that having grit will be a problem! I would have liked to put down sod, but considering how fast they eat crabgrass, sod would be an expensive treat. I may get one roll from HD just to give them something to scratch and pick at to keep them occupied.

o

Nice job. The pictures are so helpful. I could build one now from the pictures.

I did one very similar 8 x 8 ft with a single slant on the roof back about 1972. I did the door in the front. cut out for a big window. but otherwise pretty similar ideas. I did it without drawings. I just figured it out as I went along. Trying to make 8 x 8 work out.

Unfortunate I did not set it on cinder blocks and it did not last long enough. I also set it up and then put on the walls. I cut the door out of the plywood first then put it up. Just a little different.

Oh yes I also used what I think they call textured wood on the sides. they use it for modern houses. it has slots up and down for a finished look. I think it might be called texure 111 siding. I used the narrow width.

Here is a link that might be useful: texture 111 siding picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here