Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumac_gw

How to get ground hog to move on

sumac
15 years ago

Hi! We have a ground hog under the chicken coop. What's the best method to get him to move on?

Comments (14)

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

put a stick of juicy friut gum in each tunnnel..

have a heart animal traps

shoot them

heard castor oil or ammonia poured on the holes works

plant mint (is hard to get rid of once established).

stick something in the ground that vibrates. itrritates them

• sullicorbitt
    15 years ago

Get some very used kitty litter, the riper the better, dump it down both holes. I tried this years ago after several other methods, it really worked!

Sheila

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

I have successfully moved many ground hogs with a large hav-a-hart trap. It may take a few days but it's definitely doable without hurting it. You can usually rent them from your feed store if you don't own one.

• henhilton
    15 years ago

Never tried it on groundhogs, myself, but I agree with Sheila - used kitty litter is great stuff! I've used it to encourage rats and rabbits to move on.

Anybody know how to get rid of armadillos? Must be the dry weather, this year they are destroying my yard and trying their darndest to break my ankle!

pam

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

if the kitty litter gets dried up and no longer have an odor will it lose the effect? In other words is the odor or the actual feces and litter deterring them?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

found another thread on grounhogs. lots of ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: maybe this will help

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I also have groundhogs living under my chicken house and shed. So far they have not caused a lot of trouble. I did plant some green pole beans to grow on the chicken fence on one side and they ate those to the ground as soon as they came up, but nothing else much. They haven't found our veggie garden. It's on the other side of the property so I hope it's safe from the groundhogs. I'm doubtful about the racoons, though. The only thing in my flower garden that they eat are the weeds and are welcome to them.

I thought maybe they would prevent something more dangerous to the chickens from taking up residence there, like a weasle, mink, skunk, fox, etc. etc. so I have left them alone. My dogs sure are interested in them, though!

Will a couple of big cats keep groundhogs away? These are huge groundhogs! Will the cats bother the chickens and chicks and eggs? I have considered getting a couple of big guard cats, if they will happily co-exist with the chickens, chicks and eggs, which are in a covered run but I would like to let them out to free range, occasionally.

I have also considered getting a big free ranging dog but need to do some containment fencing first. Will a big dog wreck the veggie garden chasing away racoons? (I do have a couple of indoor "guard" shi tzus lol!)

• magnum300
    15 years ago

I have heard that fox urine will drive them away, you can get it at a sporting goods store that caters to hunters and trappers

• jdej
    14 years ago

Call me crazy but I had a GH wandering around scaring my wife, and making me nervous because my kids are young (as is my now barren parsley), so I peed all over the entry to his burrow (under my porch), and into all of his hidey holes around the yard, and haven't seen him in 4 or 5 days. This may be temporary but I've got my fingers crossed.

• seramas
    14 years ago

Buy them vacation timeshare in Tahoe. The fox urine does work-have used that many time to evict GHs.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

I recently got an email from my brother on the subject of canines and moles, I have no verification for this, but apparently if you fill the entry to the burrowing rodents hole with fresh Canine excrement (a commodity not difficult to come by, especially for dog owners) and sprinkle some dirt on top of that you can quickly discourage the animals from continued residence with out creating a stink so to speak. If it does work for moles I would imagine that it would also work for groundhogs. If you are very good with animals you could even train your dogs to poop in holes in the lawn.

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

dog poop works. they are very clean animals and will not get near dog poop. drop it down the hole good so they have to walk over it and they will leave. they will not push it out of the way.

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

Get yourself a jack russell..

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting