Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersnhens

Pics of my chickens and gardens

flowersnhens
15 years ago

Here are some pics of our chickens, gardens, and my dog 'baby'. I hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers n Hens

Comments (20)

• suellen_delawares
    15 years ago

Great pictures. Beautiful chickens. You have a gorgeous yard! My ranch has too much clay that we gave up on a lawn. I love pictures. Thanks for sharing your chickens.
    Suellen

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Suellen,,Thank you,, I love to share my photos. I have been wanting to post, but couldn't get the pictures to post directly with my message, so I finally opened up a photobucket account. Thanks again, Flowersnhens

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

nice pictures! thanks for sahring. If you want to know how to post a picture it is easy now that you have photo bucket. under each photo you will notice several boxes. If you click into the one that says html code you will see where it says copied. That is all you are going to see except the box will turn blue. Now go to your message on the formum write what you want to write and when you get the the place where you want to put the picture right click in the message box and choose paste. it will paste the code. you will not actually see the picture until you have clicked on preview message.
    Just to prove it works here is one of your photos.
    try it! you will be a pro after doing it successfully one time.
    {{gwi:44081}}
    Thanks again for sharing.

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great!! Thanks,,I will try that right now. I appreciate it. I use to be able to post pics on the greenhouse forum quite a few years back using HTML kinda stuff, but have forgotten how to. {{gwi:44082}}

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well look at that !!! It worked. Thank you so much !!!
    It is so much nicer to be able to put a picture directly on the page. =)

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Great pics, what a beautiful roo! I know he's part Silkie, but what else is he? Gorgeous fella, there. :)

Just to share some chicken pics, here's some of the baby chicks playing. These three are about i month old:
    {{gwi:44083}}

The big chick is one month old, the others are about 10 days old:
    {{gwi:44085}}

The same batch at 7 days old:
    {{gwi:42485}}

We even got a Frizzle in this batch!
    {{gwi:44086}}

The three older chicks with Phoenix, their daddy:
    {{gwi:44087}}

...and a molted spur from Phoenix that he dropped the other day:
    {{gwi:44088}}
    He's a weaponized chicken! He still has the other one which is just as long.

More chicken pics, please! :)
    Velvet ~:>

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Velvet. That Silkie is Also part Frizzle. I have had him for about 6 years. He was hatched by a white silkie hen. Dad was a white frizzle.

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your chicks are so cute,,,I like the one you caught in mid air. lol

• chickadee_42us
    15 years ago

Flowersnhens - how on earth do you keep the chicks from scratching your flower beds to smithereens?

Love you flock ~

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, actually, they just destroyed a small flower bed that I had recently mulched with straw. They just love straw and I knew I was asking for trouble. I don't let them out every day to free range, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. When I do, I have to be out there keeping an eye on them,and if they get in my gardens I shoo them away with the water hose. LOL. Once the garden is done in the fall, they will be out every day.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Well if your roo boy suddenly goes missing, it was me...he's a beaut! :)

Velvet ~:>

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

flowershen I am glad that worked out for you. And I am glad you could figure out what I was saying with all the mis-spelled words. I was typing fast. LOL. Anyway I told you it was going to be easy. Now we expect to see lots of photos from you :-)

I just discovered chickens like hay. I put some pine bedding in the brooder and it was so messy so when I changed it I put the pine bedding down and then added a layer of hay. the next day I go to change the water and feed them and no hay. I was like what the heck did I forget to put the hay in here? So I do it again and the next day no hay. well by the second time I figured they were eating it.
    Funny cause they will not eat any of the "treats" I give them.

velvet - OMG is that a spur from the back of a roosters leg??!! I had no idea it was that big! That looks like it can cause some real damage! Glad no roos for me.

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Velvet, yes he is a good boy too. He is very calm,,and friendly. I have a golden polish who use to be his partner until I got 14 more pullets. Now he has all of them to himself, so when my buffs and austrolorps go broody, any eggs that hatch will be part silky. I am hoping for a buff colored silkie from the orps. I have a picture I just took of the polish hen yesterday, I will post that later on today.

MsJ2u, Yes, it was easy to add those photos, thank you so much for explaining that to me. How easy.
    also: my chickens don't like to eat the hay,,but they sure do like to scratch in it !!!
    I had 2 pigs that would actually eat hay,,,so much for the old saying that pigs don't know how to.

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, here is a picture of my golden polish hen and my cat Bert..lol. The Polish hen is about 5 years old. I also added a picture of their nesting boxes. You'll see we just enclosed the underneath so that my broody chickens will have a private place to set. Do you suppose they will use that area??. I just found out that my orps and austrolorps will go broody. I didn't realize that because I have never had them before.
    {{gwi:44089}}
    {{gwi:44090}}
    {{gwi:44091}}

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

your cat looks high! LOL

like the hen and the nest boxes. how does those pine shavings work out for you? so far I have found it to be messy

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pine shavings works for me. To me, it keeps things cleaner than straw or hay does. The shavings absorb the chicken "stuff" better than straw. It also makes it smell nice. I like a clean coop and a good smelling one too. In fact, We are painting the chicken coop this weekend to match the house. I am putting flower boxes on the windows too. They will be living in a cottage after I am done. =). It is more like a small barn than a coop. I will show you pics when we are done. Right now it has no paint on it at all. It was built 3 years ago, and I hate to paint, so I never got around to painting it until now.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

maybe I am getting the wrong pine then because I don't smell anything with the cheap brand of pine bedding (not shavings) from Walmart. Maybe I need to find shavings? What I been using is fluffy like pillow fluff and it is a real mess in the water and everything every single day.

I would love to see how your coop looks with the window boxes. don't forget to take before AND after photos.

I hate to paint too but it is so good for you. notice how sore you feel after painting? that means you got a good workout. NO PAIN NO GAIN LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: inspiration for painting interior ceiling... LOL!!

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Msjay2u: I buy my shavings at the feedstore. They are very nice, clean smelling shavings. They make the whole coop smell so fresh. They are about $5.00 per bale, but worth it. One bag lasts me about 3 weeks. I clean out the coop about every 10 days,,but even then it isnt so bad.
    That chicken coop on that link you provided is so neat !!! I will be painting mine on Friday. I will get a picture of the before and after.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

thanks I am going to inquire when I make my next feed store run.

I look forward to your next photos!!

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay,,photos coming soon. =)