Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot bellied pig with balance issue

Posted by hamilton615 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 22:55

my 7y.o. pbp has trouble keeping his balance when he lifts up his head, usually to get a treat. he will start stumbling forward and cant stop until he runs into something or falls over. if he falls over he will continue pushing himself forward until he can stop. my vet thinks he might have a pinched nerve in his neck. it almost seems like vertigo to me. he is being treated with antibiotic and rimadyl. also had a high dose of ivermectin.
was wondering if anybody has had a similar issue or has any ideas.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot bellied pig with balance issue

hi hamilton, i have 3 pbp's. i don't have an answer to your question but i will post this at a couple of yahoo groups and see if i can get any ideas for you.

nina :)

o

i did some looking around at allexperts.com and found this answer to a question about a pbp losing its balance (i will put it in quotes)...

"Pigs have narrow ear canals that are easily blocked, and blocked ears can affect balance. Lack of balance can also be caused by neurological problems like stroke or salt poisoning. Antibiotics will not fix any of these problems.
Make sure her ears are clean but do NOT squirt liquid into the ears and do NOT allow the vet to flush them with water. Both cleaning techniques can cause the ear canal to plug with water, making things worse and causing deafness.
A blood test will help your vet determine if this problem is caused by an infection, and if so, which antibiotic is best."

i hope your oinker gets better and hopefully, antibiotics will help if it's a simple ear infection that is causing loss of balance.

fyi, if you feel so inclined, you should post some pics of your piggy in the gardenweb pets forum. i do occasionally and the other folks there love seeing them. :)

o

THS has a pets forum. I don't get the impression that this is a work animal or a food animal, perhaps you should ask there instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here