Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small farmer needs a 'Product Recall Policy'

Posted by farmsteward North Carolina 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 23:10

Hello all,

A friend of mine has a small farm near me. He has finished classes that allows him to can his produce to sell as value added items, such as pickled okra, chow chow, canned tomatoes, pickles, etc.

The problem is that he has to file a "Product Recall Policy" with the FDA before he can legally sell the product. He was given a sample to go by, but it is geared more toward a multi-million dollar operation rather than a small family farmer.

Does anyone here have experience with this regulation, and can you tell me where I might find some sample policies that would apply to a small farm rather than the corporate giants?

Thanks!

Hugh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small farmer needs a 'Product Recall Policy'

County extension service is the first place I would go.

o

If there is a Mennonite or Amish community near you that sells produce/canned goods/jams and jellies, you might see what they are doing about the recall policy. Also, if there is a farmers' market nearby, some of the participants might be selling preserved foods, and have a handle on the policy.

o

I just did a search on the internet for recall policy and found several. I have included a link that looks pretty good to me and can easily apply to the small farmer. I think it is a great example.I would just ammend the section about the officers of the cooperation and put in there names of who would do what. One thing for sure is that having to write this policy will help your friend think about what he would do in case he sells a bad batch of canned goods. It is something he needs to think about for his own protection.

Hope the link helps

Here is a link that might be useful: cvs recall policy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here