Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardware cloth quality

Posted by ramatsu 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:30

I went to the hardware store yesterday to pick up some hardware cloth for lining the bottom of a compost bin and to create a dirt sifting screen. My old screen finally gave out.

What was being sold as hardware cloth looks much different and flimsier than what's in my old dirt screen, and I'm wondering if there is another "farm grade" version of it that's what I'm used to.

The old hardware cloth in my screen is woven - that is, each wire goes under a crossed wire, then over the next. And it is so heavily galvanized that the intersections look as if they are soldered, creating sort of round-cornered square shaped void. (Photo left)

The stuff I'm seeing in the store isn't interwoven, it simply has the horizontal wires all laying on the same side of the vertical wires, and doesn't have any of that plugged up, solder-like intersection look (Photo right)

Looking on line, it seems both are being made, but I can't tell what the differences are functionally. But the new stuff doesn't look like it would be durable enough for the kind of abuse my dirt/rock screen needs to take.

Anyone hardware cloth mavens out there? And if the old style stuff really is more rugged, where to get it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardware cloth quality

• Posted by Skie_M Zone 7 (Southwestern (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:35

Take it back to hardware store ... Ask for "Stucco" type "expanded aluminum mesh". It should hold up better than that new wire mesh you have in hand .... Though Aluminum might not hold up to big rocks for very long, and might be a slightly finer mesh grade. It should run you around 10 dollars for a 4' x 8' piece. If properly secured, it should also hold your weight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here