Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I stop a brooding hen?

Posted by pamelad (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 23:35

No Rooster, don't want chicks, just eggs. How do I stop a Polish Crested from brooding? HELP !!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I stop a brooding hen?

Many years ago when I lived on a farm (1940's), we 'broke' brooding hens the old fashioned way - put them into a coop with no nest, or at least an eggless nest. Only food and water were available. After 2 to 3 days of confinement, their hormones adjusted and when they stopped making brooding sounds and motions, we'd release them.

Apparently, it is a clutch of eggs under a brood hen that activates her brooding phase.

o
RE: How do I stop a brooding hen?

Wow, you've got a broody Polish?! That's one determined hen! *L* Mine never go broody. Lots of my other hens DO, though, no clutch of eggs activation needed. :) Although it is imperative to not allow a broody that you are trying to break to have any eggs under her.

I've got several techniques for breaking broods here on my site, it might help:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

In addition to what I've got there, you can try giving her a handful of ice cubes to 'brood'--the chill and the wet undercarriage can both work to dissuade her.

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here