Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calsmom_gw

Hedgerows for hogs?

calsmom
14 years ago

Has anyone tried hedgerows for containing hogs successfully? I raise heritage breed Guinea Hogs and am wanting to expand their fencing. I live in Texas along the coast and have been reading about honey locust and osage orange hedgerows. Are they too labor or time intensive to be legitimate options? We are currently using hog panels and T stakes but at $19 a piece fencing adds up quickly. Any suggestions on affordable alternatives? I am looking at fencing 1 additional acre for pasture with a 4-6 rotational graze within it. I had gone to a "Pioneer day" near us and they used fencing that appeared to be branches lined up next to each other to make a solid barrier but I wasn't sure how that would hold up against the hogs. I would love to hear an suggestions you have!

Comments (3)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

I wouldn't get my hopes up at the thought, hogs are fantastic at rooting, while some breeds will not challenge a fence I'm willing to bet that most will challenge a bush. An established row might be able to stand up to it, but it will not be quick and could turn into a 10 year failed venture.

• seramas
    14 years ago

They make a pig wire which has 3" spacing at the bottom and goes up to 6" spacing at the top. Also, use a high tensile barb wire at the bottom. This wire is very dangerous to work with (spring like) and great care must be taken when working with it. It will not stretch like the 'softer' barb wire will. This will prevent them from going under the fence. If you keep cattle in this same pen use 2 strands of the barb wire at the top to keep them from stretching the fence by leaning against it while they try reaching over it to get that 'greener' grass.

Pigs are very smart and will think through most problems that they encounter. We had a Yorkshire that could jump over any 4' fence made, very comical to watch. She would rock back and forth like a Olympic athlete before she jumped.

• goodhors
    14 years ago

A hedgerow would be a project of time. Osage Orange is a REALLY tough tree up here in MI, but does not grow super fast. It has thorns, and must be attended to regularly to keep it growing as you wish. Trim out badly spaced growth, low branches, top it off to get root growth. Good hedgerows are WORK.

It is a good tree for hedges, trimmings make good fenceposts, don't rot. I know of one 100yr old corner post, made of "hedge". Still solid and holding up the fence well. Seems to be a local name for the Osage Orange. Not sure if the oranges are good food for hogs either. Lots of folks swear that the oranges chase out bugs when put in attics or storage places.

Trees also make a wonderful windbreak, protect the soil, which is a common reason for planting them here. However the old size fields are too small for the large equipment being used now so the windbreaks are coming down fast. Hard wood does burn well, last a long time in the fire. Very dense.

If you didn't mind doing a hedge as a long term project, it could work for you. Again, you would need to go in, trim and direct the growth as the trees came along. Spring and fall, so they didn't get ahead of you. Many old hedgerows in the UK, have upkeep on a regular basis to keep them growing correctly. Braiding the branches back in, supporting the growth in each layer onto other growths, a real method to doing it right.

Pigs are tough on everything, best of luck to you.