Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Our pigs are getting close :(

gardengalrn
13 years ago

We've had pigs before but honestly, we really like these ones, LOL! Very good personalities but alas, they have about 2 wks worth of feed left before they head off to butcher. The last set of pigs we had we kept in the confines of a hog panel fence. We had 3 this time instead of 2 and the spring was sooooo darn wet that their caged area was just a bunch of mire. Not good piggy mire but wet muck they couldn't escape from. So, we were blessed with having a nice large pasture and it so happened that the part where their pen was was also enclosed by a big fence that the previous owners used to contain Emus. So, DH let them out. He said if we wanted feedlot animals we could just go to the store...anyways...so in reality they became "pastured." Still fed them grain but they were free to run and go (which they did and most entertaining), but they have also had their fair share of grass. My question is, is this something the slaughter place needs to know? Do you age pork like you would beef? I wasn't there when DH took the last ones, he was headed to Iraq and we butchered them too small to avoid me having to deal with them while he was gone. I don't plan to go with him this time either...I've gotten kinda attached to the darn critters. My Dad said he always finished his pigs off on corn but their feed that they eat primarily does have corn in it. Sorry for the rant but any advice would be helpful. Lori

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?