Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Will my free range chickens use nesting boxes?

Our chickens are free range--REALLY free range. they're out of the coop by 8:00 a.m. and stay out till dusk. So far no predator problems. We have a grassy yard surrounded by woodlands, and they forage often in the woodlands. I'm assuming that hides them from flying predators. Our dogs probably keep away many ground predators. One dog has to be kept away from the chicks, but our Jack Russell sees them as part of life now, so she still wanders around all day. So far no predator issues after over 2 months outside.

My question is about laying eggs. Oldest chick was born late April, youngest in June. I put a ceramic laying egg in the nesting box last week. So far it looks so lonely. This morning was the first indication we'd had that anything had even sat on the nice fluffy straw holding the ceramic egg, and now it is kind of rolled to the side. What are the chances my chickens will lay in the nesting box vs. laying all over the yard? We only have 7 chickens, and we'll be eating more eggs than they can provide. I'd like to collect all my eggs!

P.S. One reason they free range so much is because we have 7 week old guineas in the coop. They have to stay there all day, so the chickens go out while they guineas stay locked in the run. It will be another 5 weeks before we can let the guineas out, giving the chickens the luxury of hanging around the coop more. Our run is only 5.9 x 3.9. I was under the impressions that was too small for 5 guineas and 7 hens. They sure do look crowded in there, anyway!

Comments (2)