Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best coop design for heavy chickens

Posted by sujiwan 6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 9:33

I have 14 large chickens (2 mos+ old Buff Orps, Australorp, standard Cochins) that need to have a chicken house built soon. I'd like to be able to move it frequently to range them around our farm property (with adjacent fencing to protect them).
Does anyone have some suggestions for these breeds as to the floor height from the ground, nest box height and number provided, and roost height and construction (slats or round for their grip? How wide for toe grips?) What's a healthy size coop for this many that can still be mobile?

Also, if you know of any online sites with a plan that is good for large breeds, please direct me. I look around online, but often others know of additional websites.

Anyone here have a mobile chicken house on runners or wheels?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best coop design for heavy chickens

Hi there,

if you check out BackYardChickens.com you should be able to find answers to all your questions. I joined recently because I'm just starting out raising some guineas and chickens, and if you don't see an answer you can post questions and there are lots of people with experience who can help you. Also the people there are so friendly and kind and understanding . I just love the site and visit it everyday. Good luck with your chicks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here