Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal19

Help with Nesting Boxes

gardengal19
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

DH is getting ready to install the nesting boxes on the interior wall of the coop/shed. The wall itself is 2x4 supports with wire in-between and has a 36" wire door for access. There are 4 nesting boxes which will fit into that wall - 2 on top and 2 just below that. The hens will enter the box through an oval opening on the coop side. The other side (the back wall of the nesting box) will be liftable so you can gather the eggs without having to go into the coop.

My question is - how high up off the floor should the lower boxes be? 15", 18", 20" ?? The boxes are 14 x14 x12.

The boxes will have leg supports at the front and a roost step in front of each opening. Actually, there will be 2 roost steps - one for the upper level and one for the lower level.

Another question - how many inches away and lower should the roost step

be from the oval opening?

The hens should start laying in the next week or two. I'm starting to get frantic because the boxes are not up yet and I don't want them to lay eggs all over the floor. HELP!!

I hope I explained the situation well enough and I hope anyone who reads this can offer some advice.

Thank You All,

Gloria

Comments (3)