Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those of you that sell eggs....

Posted by dirtgirldiana1 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 9:45

What kind of set up do you have? Do you just sell to friends and co-worker? Or, do you have a sign in your yard and sell from your home?
I'm trying to figure out what will work for me. DH sells a couple dozen a week at work. I'm getting about 20 eggs a day. I'm not home during the day to sell eggs.(babysit gk)There is a church right next door and I'm thinking about putting out a sign on Sunday offering eggs for sale.
At one time a farmer around me was selling eggs. He build a very small building..the size of a refrigerator snd the fridge was inside. It was all based on an honor system. You'd just open the fridge get your eggs and put the $2.00 in the butter compartment. Have any of you tried an honor system and does it work? What works for you?

Thanks,

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those of you that sell eggs....

I sell eggs to friends and coo-workers. If I had more to sell I would place an ad down at the local feed shop with my phone number. Then when you get the call you can arrange to have a person come to your home to pick up the eggs when convenient for you and them.

For so many years folks have done the honor system. Just recently someone stole the money can from an old couple who sells vegetables from their home garage! Now they have a security camera. It's such a shame!

o

I sell eggs to neighbors and folks that I know. When they want eggs they just call me and ask if I have extra, and if so they pick them up. The ad at the feed store or perhaps a local hardware store with your phone number is a good idea. That way you won't have people knocking at your door at all hours.
I'd never do the "honor system". Too many folks without honor!

o

In my area, people advertise their eggs on Craigslist with a phone number.

o

My wife and I ran a produce stand that sold eggs, honey, cut flowers, and fruit/veggies for three years on the honor system. We NEVER had a single problem.
We once had a guy leave an IOU for five dollars. One week later he walked out from town(three miles) and came and found my wife to apologize for not coming sooner. He had run out of gas and rather than put the money in his tank he waited for good weather and walked to our place to pay us.
Sometimes to get the best out of people you have to give them a chance to be good.

o

Some folks here had a Upick flower and pumpkin patch with a can on a post with no problem for years. Decided to upgrade and put a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete w/ a steel post/locking box in it. About thesecond night it was out, someone stole the whole thing..........

You'll just have to feel what's right for you...

Dave

o

I sell eggs and I post an ad in the local newspaper and leave flyers at the feed store. Sometimes my hens can't lay enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickenhousesplus.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here