Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodrose711

Limping goose, swelling on foot/note for Seramas

woodrose711
14 years ago

I noticed a couple of days ago that one of my Pilgrim geese had a slight limp. Today, she has a lighter colored swelling along one of her toes, and the discoloration is also in the webbing between her toes, seemingly stemming from the toe. My husband thought it looks like she stepped on something, with thr appearance of a "boil", maybe an infection. Seramas-- Also, as far as comparison pix of ganders, I'll post some as soon as my camera dries out-forgot it outside on fence post!

Comments (3)

• seramas
    14 years ago

Sounds like a bacterial infection. It is common for ducks and geese to get these. I've given 2 (Penicillin G Procaine Injectable Suspension 300,000 units per ml) injects; the first one was 0.3ml followed by second one also 0.3ml three days later. Used a 22 ga needle, intramuscularly (breast muscle)-first on right-second on left. Remember to always (after pushed in to muscle) to slightly pull back on the syringe plunger to check for blood. If blood appears in syringe-pull out and try another location. You don't want to inject into a vein or artery.

These can (including Penicillin) be purchased at any good feed store.

Oral meds take 7 to 10 days to work-and many times not too effectively. Long term antibiotic treatments can cause digestive problems. Feeding some yogurt after antibiotic treatments prevents digestive problems.

CanÂt wait to see their pictures. If you take them with a wet camera will they look like they are under water?

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

I'd add that warm, moist compresses several times a day can help relieve pain and bring more blood into the area, which carries away the toxins and speeds healing. One of my roos had something similar suddenly appear between his toes, and the vet who opened it up and cleaned it out says that it was a microbacterial infection, quite unusual.

I'm jealous. seramas, I've NEVER seen or heard of injectable penicillin nor syringes being sold at feed stores here in California. We can only get injectable meds from a vet. I assume this varies state-to-state.

BOY would my life be easier if I could get my hands on this stuff OTC! :(

Velvet ~:>

• seramas
    14 years ago

3 syringes
    3 22ga needles
    1 small bottle of Penicillin
    Total $11.86 at Tractor Supply Co.
    They carry all the puppy shots, kitten shots, adult cat and dog shots except rabies.
    They carry all kinds of meds for farm animals.
    It does vary according to State Laws.

This is a very good thing-especially with Judy's 16 old cats. Most are 11 to 15 years old and have many old age related problems. We figure we save $1200 on just the cats per year.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm