Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

animal trailer experiences: calf, sheep,goat?

blueberrier1
15 years ago

Want to place stockracks on the 5' x 8' trailer to haul animals (only a few at a time). Trailer has 21" sides, 3/4" plywood floor and 1"x sides and tail gate. Tires are std auto size.

Would you suggest sides above 4'? Want to place short hoop frame atop to lessen sun/rain impact.

Have thought of making frame with 4x4 corners and spaced 2x4s and 1x6s. Overkill?

Thanks, cj

Comments (6)

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention that the stockracks on the animal trailer need to be removable.

Trailer is single axle, considered heavy duty. I use it for hauling firewood, 3-4 cubic yards mulch, rocks, 30hp lawn treactor etc.
    cj

• doninalaska
    15 years ago

I recently added sides and a roof to an old utility trailer to haul goats. I looks a little funky, but works great. The utility trailer was made from an old pickup bed. I raised the sides 12 inches using spaced 2x4s and 3/8" CDX plywood. I put an old pickup topper on top to keep the critters and their bedding out of the rain/snow. I also added a folding ramp to the tailgate which closes the gap between the topper and tailgate and makes it much easier to load and unload the animals.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Whatever you do, make sure that you can get in there comfortably and be able to remove any injured or down animal - it may never happen, but if it does, you do NOT want to have to struggle with the height of the top as well as with a dead weight (pun unintentional). And you may have to get in and push out a reluctant unloader, if nothing else.

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great info Don and dibbit. The trailer bed is 21" above ground and I use 2 2x10 planks now to load the lawn tractor. I plan to get a couple more planks and add treads for animals.

Now plan height will be 5' not including a cap. I'm only 5' tall-so should work.

Should have mentioned that I am not planning to haul animals interstate...Hopefully, not more than 50 miles, one way.

Would you suggest solid sides?...no spaces between horizontal boards? Have never hauled goats and need to know if they would try to get toeholds in between board spaces.

Thought I could construct the stockracks in four pieces to ease usage and storage.
    cj

• tejas_pacas
    15 years ago

Have you thought of using the rigid horse panels for sides? It's got 2"x4" grid, to let air in, and will be much lighter to handle. Make a frame of 2x4's and bolt together. That way, they are easy to slide in, bolt up. Since your trailer sides are already 21" tall, you probably wouldn't need real tall solid sides. Or you could make a frame and put plywood on the bottom 3' and a hog panel on the upper part for air circulation. Could even do a framed panel for your roof. Everything would just bolt together.

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks tejas, what a fine approach.
    Will check out horse panel prices today as I have only bought the cattle size. We appreciate the bolted together features you suggest. Just now trailer will be for some 'bonus' fryers. Conversion for the 4-legged critters will be in a few months.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA