Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlarose_gw

Will the mom hen do everything needed for new chicks?

tlarose
13 years ago

I'm new here and to raising chickens - sorry if this is long. I will try to condense it.

We have four hens. One of which started seriously brooding and would not get up. We decided to bring in some fertilized eggs for her to hatch. I've noticed this morning (day 19) that one of the eggs has a crack in it and another has what I can only describe at stretch marks.

Being the end of August, the daily temperatures are starting to cool off and I'm wondering if I need to do anything for these chicks at all - or if the mom will do everything that is needed.

I plan to get a waterer and feeder in the coop that are safe for the chicks to use (and not drown)

Plus the coop we have outside is set up for grown chickens and I'm not sure what to do there. The laying boxes are about a foot off the ground floor. I'll have to get a ramp up there for them I'm sure. Then there is a three foot fence around their enclosure to keep them in at night. We open the top during the day, but the babies would certainly not be able to get out of there for a while (and probably don't need to)

I'm mainly concerned about them being warm enough or should I bring them and momma into the house for the first few days?

It will be very interesting to see what kind of chicks these are and if she accepts them (I can't imagine that she won't since she has been on them constantly). I'm also curious how the other hens will act. Momma is a very protective momma of her eggs.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz