Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Bend-over Cucumber Planter

Posted by seramas 4/5 SW Mich (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 12:57

An inexpensive way to grow/weed/harvest cucumbers without bending-over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Planter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Bend-over Cucumber Planter

Seramas,
Brilliant! I spent a good part of my spring hunting cucumbers in the mess/mass of vines. This is a wonderful idea, and thanks for sharing. I have the feeling next spring is going to be easier on my back!

o

I can't get youtube on the computer I'm on now, but I am assuming that this is on a scale where it would be appreciated by the folks in Vegetable Gardening and especially the folks over in Accessible Gardening although the latter is a little slow, probably because so few are actually talking about the subject.

o

Last year I put the pots on posts. The only problem with that is you can't easily move them into the greenhouse when it gets cold in the fall. Plan on putting wheels on them so they easily move to mow or put into greenhouse. Going to make some to grow peas in.

With the addition of bees this year the garden is producing 3-4 time more than needed for the year to come and have started to trade for produce that we're not growing. Next year the plan is to double garden size to grow every thing we eat--with a few exceptions.

Judy and I today cut, cleaned, buttered and stuffed with hot sausage 34 butter cup squash. Fully cooked them and when cooled placed in zip-lock vacuum bags to store in freezer. Tomorrow it will be 12 large heads of cabbage and 5 gallon bucket of peppers, chopped, vacuum bag for freezing.

Tomatoes are starting to come on, the bush beans are working over time. Yesterday processed a 5 gallons bucket of beans--steamed, vacuum bagged and froze 'em.

My wife is getting hooked on growing what we eat. She is talking about quiting work so she can learn how to grow and prepare them for storage.

o

If you are looking to reduce the sausage intake (and that's a big if) Rice and beans will work as an extender in the freezer. I prefer a nutty rice like Lundberg medium grain brown rice and a vaguely smokey bean like Jacob's cattle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here