Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re horses grazing our pasture

Posted by ritzbitz78 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 13:25

We just purchased some beautiful property with 18.6 acres (50% open pasture, 50% wooded) our neighbors asked if they could keep their 3 horses on our land. We said sure. The neighbors then bush hogged about 5 -6 acres and made sure the barb wire fence was intact around the perimeter. The horses have been on our property for a month now. Our other neighbor said that it wasn't a good idea to have the horses on the land because they would destroy the pasture area and we should at least limit the amount of time the horses are on our property. We have no clue about horses or pasture. Please advise on what we should do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re horses grazing our pasture

I been around a lot horses never saw pasture destroyed by any some was over stock with horses horse need more feed than just green grass. There probably hinden reason say that..

o

That's why you rotate pastures so they aren't ruined.Weve had 3 for over 20 years we have no problem.You should mow some to keep weed seeds from forming.

o

Thank you gator_rider2. I think The two neighbors I am talking about don't get along too well. And they are feeding their horses more than just green grass. That may be a hidden reason. And thank you bulldinkie. The neighbor with the horses will gladly mow the pasture for us. I just want to make sure I am educated on when to rotate off our land, for how long, and when to mow it down.

o

I have three horses and a mini donkey on 10 acres. They eat grass but not weeds, so we mow it every once in while. Never had any problems!

Cheri

o

Having the horses on there will actually help your pasture as long as it is not overgrazed. With just three horses on there you should have plenty of grass for them. Are they running them on just the 5-6 acres or do they let them on the remaining land as well. I had a neighbor run cattle on my place to keep the pastures knocked down. The pastures were in a lot better shape when the cattle were on there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here