Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zoning for chickens?

Posted by heavenlyfarm 6 (free2be_any1@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 14:53

Hi,
Its been quite along time since I've been on here. I've just been busy with work and I'm desperately saving to get a farm and move out of my parents home. Unfortunately I have quite a way to go...but anyways, we live in a pretty country area and we dont live in the city. I was wondering if it's possible to maybe have chickens? If I'd fence them in? Ive heard most zoning is against having roosters but I only want hens and a few. Does anyone know how to check if your zoning permits it? If not I guess it'll have to wait till I get the small farm I want but it was just a thought I've been having so I thought I'd ask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zoning for chickens?

Many communities have their zoning laws on-line. You need to look up what your zone is, and then simply check the zoning regulations. They will say whether livestock is permitted or not.

If it is not on-line, just call the building permit people and they can tell you what your zone is and what the regulations are.

Also, it depends upon the community and the neighbors. If no one complains, you can get away with some hens even if you aren't zoned for it.

Cows aren't allowed where I am, but several of my neighbors have cattle and have had them for several years. Nobody complains.

If you are going to sneak chickens in, get a quiet breed and hens only. Keep the chicken housing very clean so you don't produce flies or smells. Don't try sneaking in hens if you've got a control freak neighbor or a feud with one of the neighbors.

o

zoning - shmoning, people need to learn to mind their own business. I say do it. I have 8 hens (4 barred rock, 4 Ameraucana) and they're pretty quiet. You don't have to get that many, you can always go with only 2 or something like that. I keep mine in an aviary about 12x6 ft and most of the day they barely make any noise. They're so nice to have around. And yeah you don't need roosters. They're nice, but they will make a LOT of noise.

o

greendesert, that's the ones I was thinking of getting! well barred rock. I did want Ameraucanas cuz those caught my eye awhile ago but Ive heard barred rock hens are more docile and calm. My friend keeps white leghorns and Rhode Island reds.

o

Ameraucanas are quite docile as well. I have friends that have some and I took care of theirs for a few weeks and I would go inside their run, and sit down, and one of them would hop right in my lap and lay down practically asking to be petted. incredibly friendly. In my case though, I find that my barred rocks are a little bit more docile for some reason. Leghorns are out of the question for me, I heard they tend to be noisy and nervous. Not something I want my neighbors to deal with in my current setting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here