Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mite question - help

Posted by flowersnhens Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 16:02

Okay, earlier I had posted about losing some chickens. So, I figured it was something they were either eating outside,, or some sort of illness they were passing around. I also have noticed this past week that there are mites in the coop, or atleast that is what I thought.
SO: I used a fogger in the chicken coop today after I cleaned all of the bedding out and disposed of it. I also checked my hens and the ones I checked have NO MITES on them. I read that there are mites that will only feed at night and that during the day the mights will not be seen on the chicken. SO, if this is what is happening, do you suppose the fogger I used will take care of the mites that are in there waiting to attack the hens when they are roosting??? The fogger I used said after 4 hours to air the building out and 30 minutes later you can enter the building again. So, do you think this is okay?? I didn't know what else to do,,,I just want the disgusting bugs gone. Also, waterers and feeders were disinfected with bleach as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mite question - help

What type of fogger did you use and what chemicals?

I HATE finding evidence of mites/worms on my birds, it creeps me out. :( In my opinion it is IMPERATIVE to not only spray/dust the birds, but to also dose them with an Invermectin-based paste wormer, both orally AND using a dab rubbed in each wingpit. I got this treatment procedure of treating orally and via the birds exterior straight from my vet, and it's always worked quickly, without fail, for years. That way they are fully covered and the mites will be GONE, quickly! Here's what I do for both, scroll down to 'Dusting/Worming' and also the 'Mites' section:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

Also, here is how I 'Clean/Sanitize' on this page:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

I love the little steamer, it just leaves no doubt that the little buggers are DEAD. :) I'm also in the process of trying out using Oxine AH to both fog the birds and coop.

Velvet ~:>

o

How long do you withhold the eggs when you use Ivermectin before you can eat them?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

o

johanna, two weeks on the eggs.

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here