Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wjason777

Starting a farm from scratch

wjason777
9 years ago

I'm a veteran, that wants to start a farm from scratch. I have a career already so I'm not looking to make any profits at all but I'm the near future I would like to. I'm just looking to gain as much experience as possible during his process. I don't won't to lease or work on someone's else farm. I prefer to have my own.
I've found a perfect parcel 34 acres for $66000. Only thing is it's wooded. I have the 25% that the bank requires for a loan. But if I would to pay the 25% I wouldn't have any cash left over to get the land cleared or cash for equipment etc.
Could someone point me in the right direction to getting me started and on my feet.

Comments (10)

• insteng
    9 years ago

What are you wanting to use it for? You could easily end up spending twice that amount. You need to start small if you are limited on money. You could always buy the land and only use part of it until you can aford to expand and start using more and more of it. I bought 56 acres myself and use about 5 for fruit trees and garden right now and lease the rest out for cattle.

• wjason777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea I'm starting to see it would be cheaper to find some land that's already been cleared. But it's hard finding something that I could afford.

I would like to use it for cattle mostly with about 3 acres for a greenhouse, and crops

• insteng
    9 years ago

It is hard to make any money at cattle especailly if you have a limited amount of land. Most of the people I know barely break even on their cattle after all their expenses.

• insteng
    9 years ago

It is hard to make any money at cattle especailly if you have a limited amount of land. Most of the people I know barely break even on their cattle after all their expenses.

• wjason777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even if the cattle is grass fed? What other expense would I have other than seeding for grass and fencing ?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Oh, feeding...because grass usually doesn't grow all year or you don't have enough.
    Vet bills, cows need health care too.....and medication/worming,etc. It'll help if you get experience with them and know (for later) when you DO need a vet or when you can self-medicate.

How are you planning on supplying water?

Do you plan on your cows breeding? Well, you'll need at least one bull. Bulls often break fencing and get into trouble with neighbors cows....you'll need to keep an eye on them daily.

Offspring are usually neutered if male...do you plan on doing that or having a vet ?

Just things to think about...cows don't grow themselves.

• wjason777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well by me being a veteran I quilify for grants that the usda offer.
    I plan on getting a well drilled for water.
    No I don't plan breeding just yet just buying calfs that's already been bottle fed.

Far as grass I was going to plant a winter rye and for the summer bramuda.

• insteng
    9 years ago

Just getting a water well drilled can run several thousand dollars depending on how deep they have to drill. To make money at cattle you would need a lot of acreage to be able to run enough to really make it worthwhile. You could run a few head as a hobby and maybe break even or make a little profit but you will not be able to live off it. For under 50 acres you would probably better off trying to grow fruits or vegatables to sell. I statred a small fruit orchard at my place and lease the remainder of my land to my neighbor who runs cattle on it. He has several hundred acres scattered about he runs his cattle on. If you have good cleared land you could also cut hay on it. You can get people to come cut it for you and do it on a percentage. You don't need to buy any expensive equipment that way.

• wjason777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, I'm not trying to get rich off of farming nor am I looking to supplement my current income. What I'm looking to do is just my feet planted. Learn the ropes. Then down the line from now, years later on. Buy more acres to make profit.
    If I'm not mistaken my local USDA office has grants for veterans for fencing, grass, and wells that I'm very well in title too. I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction

• insteng
    9 years ago

The best way to learn what works best in your area would be to talk to some of the local farmers around there. They are usually willing to give some free advice. Also I would contact any agriculture schools in your area or the local county Ag advisor. They could help you out a lot. What works in one area might not work as well in another. On my place instead of having a water well I have several farm ponds where the cattle can drink. Though if you have to build them they are also expensive. I would recommend keep looking until you find a place that is already set up like you want it will save you a lot of money.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?