Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammynewb

Storms and animals

tammynewb
15 years ago

This may come out goofy. I'm still trying to talk my husband into us getting some chickens. Since we are going through a Tropical Storm (Fay) right now it got me thinking about what we would do with chickens (or any farm animal for that matter) during a storm. So do you all bring them inside the house? Hope the coop will protect them enough? Let them follow their instincts? I'm just curious and would appreciate your input. It never hurts to be prepared. And I WILL get these chickens darn it!

Tammy

Comments (7)

• critterkeeper
    15 years ago

I've never really thought about it but we've had some pretty torrential downpours, freezing rain and lots of thunder, lightening and wind in these hills and mountains of Tennessee and although my power has gone out on more than one occasion, and trees have fallen down on my fences, somehow my chickens and pigs and goats and horses and geese have always fared well. One night it was raining so hard that I didn't want to get out in the downpour to lock up the hens in their coop. They have a fenced in area where they free-range outside the coop. The next morning I found them in a small enclosure within the fenced area I had built especially for a broody hen and chicks. All 10 of the hens were snug as bugs in this small space. They are smarter than we tend to give them credit for. I'd say if they are secure enough against predators they would weather any storm.

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Tammy,
    Get some chickens! They are more entertainment than you can imagine! Here in Texas we have severe weather--heat, torrential downpours, high winds and sudden drops in temps. Our chickens have weathered (pun intended) every kind of weather event. I get them into the coop (they free range) if I know there is bad weather coming. Otherwise, I just let them get into the coop on their own, since I keep the door open and they can come and go as they please. Don't try to bring them into the house--you don't know what chickens can do to carpeting!

• nancybhd_2008
    15 years ago

Hey Tammy,
    I live on the Island, but used to have a couple of acres in Canaveral Groves. We had goats & chickens, with the occasional extra creature added here and there.
    We built sturdy coops and stalls. The chickens & goats had no problem. They stayed safe, dry & warm during hurricanes, heat and the cold.
    We, also put an electric fence around the back acre where the animals stayed. Got tired of dogs, racoons and other varmits wanting my animals for dinner. The electric fence did the trick.
    I miss my little farm. sigh.
    Nancy

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

If the structure doesn't blow down or blow away they will be fine. Build it sturdy (which is not hard given how small a coop really is) and make sure its fairly dry and they will be fine.

• PRO
    Coastal Portable Buildings
    15 years ago

I live in NE Florida and we are supposed to get a direct hit today. I have chickens in a coop, in a yard tractor, and a holding pen for brooding mother and baby chicks. The coop chickens will be fine, they have the ability to stay dry; the tractor chickens are on the ground but I have covered the open area up so they will stay dry, and the mother hen and babies are put under a covered area so they will stay dry.

Get the chickens. You can prepare for them as you do yourself.

Carole @ Fowl Visions

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Also, remember that Chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) are domesticated Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus) that live in areas of south east Asia that are subject to monsoons, which bring lots of wind and rain.

• tammynewb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. With the storm and the kids just getting back in school I've had my hands full.
    Chicken sure sound like smart critters and I'm glad I shouldn't have to worry about them too much in a storm. Thanks a ton for the info!
    Tammy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?