Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollymoto

need instructions for newborn chick

hollymoto
15 years ago

Hi all: I have been searching trying to find a place to get some help with my small flock of chickens. Actually,it appears to becoming a large flock as babies keep appearing. Which brings me to a question: I have a late hatchling. The mum has 5 chicks already and then this one appeared last night or early this a.m. However,mom is not paying any attention to it as she is busy with the others. This poor one can't seem to stand or walk. It appears healthy and relatively strong. She flaps her little wings and is quite vocal. But,she eventually runs out of steam and has to rest. I finally took her out and plaaced her on a heating pad.(mom walked on her) I have tried to feed her but although she opens her beak slightly not much seems to go in or she pulls away. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Have any of you raised a lone chick? How long can it go with no water or food? Why can't it stand on it's little legs? I even tried to hold up it's bum to try and show her what to do but,then her face falls onto the towel. I tried to balance her from both sides but,all to no avail. I need your advice/experiences.

Comments (3)