Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need instructions for newborn chick

Posted by hollymoto BC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 16:55

Hi all: I have been searching trying to find a place to get some help with my small flock of chickens. Actually,it appears to becoming a large flock as babies keep appearing. Which brings me to a question: I have a late hatchling. The mum has 5 chicks already and then this one appeared last night or early this a.m. However,mom is not paying any attention to it as she is busy with the others. This poor one can't seem to stand or walk. It appears healthy and relatively strong. She flaps her little wings and is quite vocal. But,she eventually runs out of steam and has to rest. I finally took her out and plaaced her on a heating pad.(mom walked on her) I have tried to feed her but although she opens her beak slightly not much seems to go in or she pulls away. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Have any of you raised a lone chick? How long can it go with no water or food? Why can't it stand on it's little legs? I even tried to hold up it's bum to try and show her what to do but,then her face falls onto the towel. I tried to balance her from both sides but,all to no avail. I need your advice/experiences.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need instructions for newborn chick

Hi; I have placed the non-walking chick with the mother. She is tolerating it but I keep watch as she doesn't appear to help the chick when she moves or feeds the other little ones.I am worried the baby will be to cold and is getting weaker from lack of water or food.

o

A chick gets everything they need for the first three days of its life from the yolk of the egg. Just watch to make sure it makes it under the hen at night and leave it alone for two days. Then see if its eating and drinking.

o

I have never seen a hen 'feed' a chick. They're on their own. I have concerns that this one isn't walking. They can usually pretty much get around as soon as they hatch out. I'd not have this chick in the population, but in a box with a waterer under a lamp. Dip its beak once or twice into the water to 'introduce' it and put some chick feed or fine laying mash on the floor of the box, and see if it starts to feed. As the last poster says, they can live off the yolk sac for several days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here