Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken food and water: inside or out?

Posted by Alicate (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 17:02

I live in Michigan and have my food and water in the coop. Most pictures I see put the food and water in the attached, enclosed run. Which should I do? Obviously, during the cold it will be moved indoors. Will that confuse the chickens? Also, my hens don't eat until I go in at about 9pm to milk the goats. I guess they don't like the dark hen house. That's another reason I have thought about keeping the feed outside. Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken food and water: inside or out?

I keep the feed inside the building where it's dry, and the water in the run where I can use the hose. All a matter of what's easiest.

o

Our hens never go inside during the day except to lay eggs or unless they're brooding.
We keep the food & water outside under a small overhang.
With the fresh air circulating, it keeps the smell down and makes cleaning the inside of the coop easier
I don't think it will confuse them. Their whole day is spent up scratching and looking for food.

Tom

o

I keep both the food and water in the hen house. There - you now have three opinions with three different options. So basically do what is best for you and your girls and they'll figure it out.

Have you considered putting windows in your coop? I have one on each side and it's very light and airy in there. The girls go in and out a million times a day. That's what makes it so much fun watching them.

o

I keep the feeder inside the coop along with one of the waterers, but my coop is very open and bright. I leave the door open during the day and the chickens come and go as they please. I have two more waterers out in the yard.

If your birds are avoiding the henhouse during the day and not eating, that isn't good. Make sure that there isn't another reason that they are avoiding the henhouse, such as a mite infestation. If you can safely rule out mites, I'd say experiment with moving the food inside and out and see which works best for your girls. You may even end up with two food/water stations, one inside and one outside. :)

Velvet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here