Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nesting box question

Posted by dirtgirldiana1 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 17:03

I have 8 nesting boxes that are 12x12, for 24 hens. They're about 5 months old.
I've put straw in the boxes. When I check their boxes the straw is almost gone. Somehow they're throwing it out of the box and on the floor. They still lay in the boxes but I have found a couple eggs on the floor. Are my boxes to small?
I have a variety of hens. Barred plymouth rocks, Buff opringtons, delawares, arcannas and RR's.
Is this size okay?
Thanks everyone,

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nesting box question

Are the boxes just open on the side? My hens' boxes are 12 x 12, and I put a strip of 2 or 3 inch wide trim wood across the fronts of my boxes just 1/2 inch up from the bottom edge (for easier cleaning). The eggs and straw stay the box when the hens fluff it up.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

o

Johanna....Thank you so much. If I'm not mistaken my DH put a piece of wood across the front of the boxes but I'm think'n they're only about an inch wide.

Thanks Bunchs...

On my way out to do some measuring!!!

Diana

o

Diana,
Hens are notorious for redecorating their nest boxes. Mine have tossed out shavings, hay, grass clippings and are now considering what to do with sawdust! A retaining bar at the front of the box will slow them down, but not completely discourage them. Don't worry about it--just replenish the bedding material every once in a while.
At five months your hens are just starting to lay, aren't they? They have to get the idea of nest boxes, which they will on their own. Meanwhile, watch where you step because they will lay eggs wherever the urge takes them. I found eggs in the strangest places until my girls decided nest boxes were nice. Enjoy your hens--they can be funny and frustrating, but mostly funny!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here