Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy43160

ivermectin and dogs

amy43160
15 years ago

hello, not sure if i am posting in the right place but i need to treat a young coon pup with this for demodex, i got the injectable type for cattle, do i inject this in the dog like the dog shots and if so what is the correct dose for a 7-10 lbs puppy or is there another way to give the injection type, i think injections would be a for sure way to know your puppy is getting the meds they need but i want to be safe on the dosage, also what is other benefits of ivermect in dogs, is it good for wormings other than heart worms.

thanks

Comments (9)

• Dibbit
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No, not injected but given orally. There have been 2 reasonable recently added to, if long, posts about using ivomec for dogs, both for heartworms and for mange. Try a search for them, and if you can't find them, ask again....

I use it for heart worms for my foxhound, mixing it into her food, but you can also remove the needle from a syringe once you have drawn it out of the bottle and squirt it into the mouth.

• amy43160
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what is the correct does for the injectable ivermec, for a 8 lbs puppy.
    thanks

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

I am not sure of the dosage for treating mange - it is different from the dosage for heart worms. As I said, there have been 2 recently-added-to (within the past summer) threads on this, which give the dosages or give the formulae by which dosages can be calculated; in the older one, toward the middle, and in the newer one more at the top. I would suggest you look them up.

In any case, if the 8 lb. pup is your coon hound, it would seem that it is rather young - my other suggestion is that you treat it under a vet's supervision who would give you the dosages without you having to calculate them. One of the problems, if you will, with using ivomec on dogs is that some react rather badly to it. Granted, it's mostly collies, but I would not want to have something I was trying to do for the good of an animal cause harm to it.

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

Giving something internally for an external problem is kinda an overkill IMO. Especially to a puppy. Have you thought about lym dip or (depending on how bad the infestation is) dusting him with DE? I'm not a tree hugger but at 8 weeks, the little guy won't be able to handle anything real tough, especially if his condition is run down by mange mites. Hope everything works out good.

Dave

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

See your veterinarian. He/she can guide you on proper treatment - and, are you sure the pup has demodectic mange? Without a properly performed skin scraping and microscopic examination, it's not a sure thing.
    Dave, lime-sulfur dip and DE will have no helpful, positive effect whatsoever on a dog with localized or generalized demodicosis.

• hosedragger
    15 years ago

Be careful with your dosing of dogs with ivermectin as it has been associated with blindness. If you google this, you'll find related studies.

• double_d
    15 years ago

Puppies can get very ill from Ivermectin, I have worked in dog rescue for years and we get all kinds of mangy dogs and puppies, the shelter will redlist then just for having mange so we will get them out and heal them. We recently found this bug arrest product works great on all kinds of mange mites and is a much safer alternitive for a puppy with mange. Also did you know most (80%)puppies will outgrow demodectic mange with a good diet and a healthy immune system.
    http://www.herbalremedies.com/bugar32flozb.html

• flagsp
    13 years ago

Just to try and clear up confusion. First, you DO NOT actually inject the "injectable" Ivomec. It is injectable for cattle and swine; you feed it to dogs with food.

Now on to dosing. The product label for Ivomec 1% solution (made by Merial) clearly provides that there is 10 mg (that's milligrams) of Ivermectin per mL (that's milliliter) of Ivomec 1% solution. Available here: http://merialusa.naccvp.com/view.php?prodnum=1111031

Merial's product label for Heartgard tablets lists a recommended dose of 2.72 micrograms Ivermectin per pound of dog weight. Available here: http://merialusa.naccvp.com/view.php?prodnum=1111024

So, the math is actually pretty simple and it follows closely with what was posted in another thread by a different user.

Weight----Dose
    10 lbs----27.2 micrograms
    20 lbs----54.4 micrograms
    30 lbs----81.6 micrograms
    40 lbs----108.8 micrograms
    50 lbs----136.0 micrograms (i.e., the Heartgard tablet has this amount)
    60 lbs----163.2 micrograms
    70 lbs----190.4 micrograms
    80 lbs----217.6 micrograms
    90 lbs----244.8 micrograms
    100 lbs--272.0 micrograms

Knowing that Ivomec 1% injectable for cattle and swine has 10 milligrams per milliliter, and that 10 milligrams equals 10,000 mcg (micrograms), then we know that in each mL (milliliter or "cc") of Ivomec 1% there is 10,000 mcg of Ivermectin. So, in each tenth of a mL (each tenth of a cc) of Ivomec 1% there is 1 milligram or 1,000 micrograms Ivermectin.

Doing the math with the manufacturer information for recommended dosage, the following chart is applicable:

Weight---Dose (mcg)---Dose (mg)---1% Ivomec (mL)
    10 lbs-----27.2-------.0272----------.00272 mL
    20 lbs-----54.4-------.0544----------.00544 mL
    30 lbs-----81.6-------.0816----------.00816 mL
    40 lbs-----108.8------.1088----------.01088 mL
    50 lbs-----136.0------.1360----------.01360 mL
    60 lbs-----163.2------.1632----------.01632 mL
    70 lbs-----190.4------.1904----------.01904 mL
    80 lbs-----217.6------.2176----------.02176 mL
    90 lbs-----244.8------.2448----------.02448 mL
    100 lbs----272.0------.2720----------.02720 mL

Thus, for my 50 lbs dogs, I should provide a monthly dose of 1% Ivomec that is .01360 milliliters per dog to equal the same dose that is in a Heartgard tablet for a 50 lbs dog (i.e., 136 mcg of Ivermectin). Toxicity limits are well above these levels, though. In fact, Cornell University's shelter medicine website indicates much higher doses for whipworm treatment: http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.cornell.edu//shelter/Ivermectin/whips.htm

Incidentally, the Cornell dosing recommendation for whipworm treatment is exactly HALF the recommended Ivomec dose for cattle (i.e., 100 micrograms per kilogram of dog weight versus 200 micrograms per kilogram of cattle weight).

• autumnfrost
    13 years ago

If this helps. suggested doses for Ivomec given orally or S.Q. is from a vet in CC's
    1 lb.----.0125 cc 2 lb.-----.025 cc 3 lb.---.0375 4 lb-----.05 cc 5 lb.-----.0625 cc 6 lbs---.075 7 lb---.0875 cc 8 lbs------.1 cc 9 lb----.1125 cc
    10 lbs---.125 cc use a 1 cc syringe I have been using this with no problems to date for about 15 years on my chihuahuas

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES