Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pigs clearing the garden?

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 18:40

Our garden wasn't a total bust this year but conditions were harsh and I was lazy. We have too many weeds that got out of control (in my defense, it was just tooooo hot to deal with them) and tons of bugs. I went out and got what I wanted this evening and hubby is planning to rig the fencing so the pigs can clean it up for us.

My question is, will the tomato plants hurt them? I might have 16-20 out there. The chickens have helped themselves to a lot of the tomotoes but I was worried about the plants themselves being poisonous to the livestock, them being in the nightshade family. It wouldn't be terrible to rip those out ourselves but oh-so-much easier if the pigs could do it, LOL. Thanks, Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pigs clearing the garden?

Unless the pigs have been deprived of food and are desperate, it's unlikely they will eat the tomato vines or anything else harmful. Pigs are pretty much people, in terms of what they can eat. That doesn't mean they will drop dead if they nibble on some tomato leaves, any more than you would drop dead from it. I mean, they're poisonous to goats, too, but goats can handle them if they're not the only food offered. They will eat all the ripe tomatoes they can find but probably won't eat the stuff you'd like to get rid of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here