Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhode island reds

Posted by trisha_51 5 Nebraska (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 18:46

Our chicks are 19 1/2 weeks; waiting for eggs any day now. :) Except that we have 34 pullets! Have to find a market for some eggs! Butchered one of the roosters last weekend, but he seemed on the thin side. Guess we'll wait a while longer on the others. When did your rhode islands start laying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhode island reds

Mine is 20 weeks and I think she is getting ready. Her wattles are turning bright red. I think I would wait awhile to butcher also. She seems smaller than the other breeds even though she was a big fatty chic. Aren't they so fun I just love my hens. Very glad I don't plan on eating any of them. Whew

o
RE: rhode island reds

In my experience, my hens don't start til at least 6 months, most a little older than that. heritage breeds take longer than those bred to lay for the big egg farms. Love my Reds, they are great layers once they start!

Cheri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here